How do you keep from just walking away?

hill2933
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3695 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It has been one of those weeks I guess. Game I was working Friday night 15U Fall Ball, league does not even keep score, had a coach lose it because he felt I had the count wrong. And to make matters worse I had just announced "last batter" and his team was ahead. Since there is no scoreboard or book I always show count when there is any two strike or three ball count just so everyone knows next pitch could be out/walk. I call strike two on batter and coach starts screaming about it being three. He is diligently keeping a scorebook (for fall ball????) and there is no way he could be wrong. Ended up just caling the game since time was up and walked away. By the time I got to the car the coaches were on the field pushing each other. Coaches wife even went out to get in it. Off duty police officer there watching his kid play had to break it up. And to top it all off the same coach played second half of double I was supposed to be doing. Reported incident to league president and also informed UIC he was going to need another umpire.

Tonight at my kid's game almost had fight between one of the parents of his team and the PU. Coaches had disagreed with a couple close calls (both were correct BTW) and gave up the lead. As time limit was coming up PU told parents he was going to let our team finish their half inning. League rule is drop dead time for Fall. Well of course we end up coming back and had tying run at plate when they called the game. Oh well! I was glad to get home on time. Couple of parents started whining as crew left field. BU walked past our team and kept going to his car (very professional as he didn't even acknowldge them.) PU went the other direction leaving his partner out to dry. Then after hearing the whining he decided to come back from the lot and get into a person dicussion with the biggest loudmouth. He told everyone he was on the league board and that this particular parent was no longer welcome at the park. OK maybe we can go home now! Nope.... PU decides to tell parent exactly what he thinks and ends up calling him a dummy and redneck. Now the coaches are coming running and end up in a heated "discussion" all the way into the parking lot. I really wanted to go tell BU that he had indeed got both questionable calls correct and had gone a great job all season but PU really made it hard to have their backs.

How do you keep going back year after year dealing with this kind of stuff? It has taken everything I have to keep from posting all my equpiment on the for sale page (nothing gear junkies would want) and hang it up. This is my first year calling HS ball and absolutley love it but can see it wearing on me.

Just ranting guys sorry! Wont be long and I will look like Steve Martin from The Jerk running down the street yelling THE NEW RULE BOOKS ARE IN!!!!!!!!!

I had a summer ball HS game with a 2rd year HS umpire (he hadn't worked varsity yet). Post game he said how disappointed he was in the coach's rat-like behavior. I adviced that he'd be better prepared if he expected such behavior and be ready to deal with it. Maybe too cynical ???

You're going to have those kind of coaches and those kind of partners, if you can't stomach it, then for your own mental health, you should consider selling your gear...what size plate shoes do you wear?  jk...  :wave:

• Like 1

The other half of the answer @ricka56 is because he is new he will get more of that behavior than an experienced umpire. They see fresh meat and want to know if it is any good. 

@hill2933 In leagues that are supposed 100% instructional, take nothing. As soon as a coach starts whining, shut it down. Any continuing gets him tossed. He has no business opening his mouth to an official in an instructional league.  

• Like 3

I keep from walking away by just walking away. It's not personal. Dont let it become so. I love the game. And I love umpiring. There are times during the dog days when it's 150º and I'm sick of the rats that I wonder wtf am I doing here? Why do I do this? Then a perfect rotation or a whacker that I see in HD happens and I'm reminded of my calling. When I'm on the field, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be.

• Like 10

Thanks guys. My game was in a Babe Ruth league supposed to be instructional even with older kids. No score drop dead time limit with kids playing up to next years level. Most kids is their first time on 60/90 and not many pro scouts in the seats. New pitcher almost every inning with ton of walks. If I called anywhere near my normal zone it would be a two inning game every night. When coach started arguing I just called the time limit and walked away. When I found out about the rest of the pushing and arguing I went to the league. When they didn't address I felt it was in my best interest and the kids to let someone else take the next one. I don't feel that it ever got to the point of an ejection before I was off the field but feel the league should have stepped in.

As far as my sons game just chalking that up to "you can't cure stupid."

Unfortunately, way too many do just walk away -- not only in baseball but in other sports as well.  And its not only the officials who walk away, its the players (kids) and those who are needed to run the leagues.

All you can say is that it does get better as you move up -- the players make more plays, the officials have more experience, the coaches learn "how" to argue and the parents expectations get more realistic.

• Like 1

I keep from walking away by just walking away. It's not personal. Dont let it become so. I love the game. And I love umpiring. There are times during the dog days when it's 150º and I'm sick of the rats that I wonder wtf am I doing here? Why do I do this? Then a perfect rotation or a whacker that I see in HD happens and I'm reminded of my calling. When I'm on the field, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be.

But what about when your partner bangs a runner out, with his mask in his right hand ??

But what about when your partner bangs a runner out, with his mask in his right hand ??:rollinglaugh: believe it or not guys, this happened.

It's nice to see some friendly support!!  Some days are better than others. Instructional league is just that. If you give an inch, they will take a yard. 

I have seen lots of embarrassing parent behavior. As you travel and work more games you get a sense of what each areas allows. You stay solid and work YOUR game. Let your consistency be the solid foundation for your confidence.

But what about when your partner bangs a runner out, with his mask in his right hand ?? :rollinglaugh: believe it or not guys, this happened.

Embarrassing.....

could  just  be a  lefty  that  still adjusting  to  doing everything  with the  left  hand (sadly  still  have  that  problem  for  time to  time  with right  handing a  mask )

But what about when your partner bangs a runner out, with his mask in his right hand ?? :rollinglaugh: believe it or not guys, this happened.

It does happen and will happen again.  No one is "PERFECT".

It has been one of those weeks I guess. Game I was working Friday night 15U Fall Ball, league does not even keep score, had a coach lose it because he felt I had the count wrong. And to make matters worse I had just announced "last batter" and his team was ahead. Since there is no scoreboard or book I always show count when there is any two strike or three ball count just so everyone knows next pitch could be out/walk. I call strike two on batter and coach starts screaming about it being three. He is diligently keeping a scorebook (for fall ball????) and there is no way he could be wrong. Ended up just caling the game since time was up and walked away. By the time I got to the car the coaches were on the field pushing each other. Coaches wife even went out to get in it. Off duty police officer there watching his kid play had to break it up. And to top it all off the same coach played second half of double I was supposed to be doing. Reported incident to league president and also informed UIC he was going to need another umpire.

Tonight at my kid's game almost had fight between one of the parents of his team and the PU. Coaches had disagreed with a couple close calls (both were correct BTW) and gave up the lead. As time limit was coming up PU told parents he was going to let our team finish their half inning. League rule is drop dead time for Fall. Well of course we end up coming back and had tying run at plate when they called the game. Oh well! I was glad to get home on time. Couple of parents started whining as crew left field. BU walked past our team and kept going to his car (very professional as he didn't even acknowldge them.) PU went the other direction leaving his partner out to dry. Then after hearing the whining he decided to come back from the lot and get into a person dicussion with the biggest loudmouth. He told everyone he was on the league board and that this particular parent was no longer welcome at the park. OK maybe we can go home now! Nope.... PU decides to tell parent exactly what he thinks and ends up calling him a dummy and redneck. Now the coaches are coming running and end up in a heated "discussion" all the way into the parking lot. I really wanted to go tell BU that he had indeed got both questionable calls correct and had gone a great job all season but PU really made it hard to have their backs.

How do you keep going back year after year dealing with this kind of stuff? It has taken everything I have to keep from posting all my equpiment on the for sale page (nothing gear junkies would want) and hang it up. This is my first year calling HS ball and absolutley love it but can see it wearing on me.

Just ranting guys sorry! Wont be long and I will look like Steve Martin from The Jerk running down the street yelling THE NEW RULE BOOKS ARE IN!!!!!!!!!

I believe as time goes by and the more "seasoned" an umpire is or aged, the more patience you have. Not taking things personally is a thin line I believe. IMHO until I feel threatened or they start making direct insults I've learned to just make the best out of every game. We've all had those "why am I even here" games and sometimes we those high level games where we cannot believe we got assigned to.

"How do you keep going back year after year dealing with this kind of stuff?"  I don't play baseball anymore. I played my whole life until I graduated college and played D3 level ball. It is all I have left to give back to be honest. Here is my favorite quote

You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time.  ~Jim Bouton

• Like 1

It does happen and will happen again.  No one is "PERFECT".in his defense, he took a very nasty shot to his left forearm just above the wrist and couldn't use his left hand for the rest of the game. I offered to switch up with him. But Pete, the consumate professional, manned up and finished the game. Right handed indicator, mask removal n all.

This is what keeps me from giving it up.  I watch the game.  I have the best place of where I can watch it from beginning to end (even bad games).  If you are thinking of hanging it up, don't do it just yet.  Get back out there and make just 1 more call and see if you would rather not do it.  I don't hear the parents and only hear the really loud coaches or players.  The rest means nothing to me and I just watch the game.

This is what keeps me from giving it up.  I watch the game.  I have the best place of where I can watch it from beginning to end (even bad games).  If you are thinking of hanging it up, don't do it just yet.  Get back out there and make just 1 more call and see if you would rather not do it.  I don't hear the parents and only hear the really loud coaches or players.  The rest means nothing to me and I just watch the game.

I'm completely opposite. More often than not I miss the great plays because I'm watching runners touch, looking for obs/int etc... Did you see that catch??? Nope. But I saw R2 touch 3B and the plate.
  • Like 1

I'm completely opposite. More often than not I miss the great plays because I'm watching runners touch, looking for obs/int etc... Did you see that catch??? Nope. But I saw R2 touch 3B and the plate.

If you are watching the ball, then you should see the great play especially a catch.  I agree we do miss some of the "great" plays.  But, we should see a lot of them as well especially if we are the calling umpire for the "great" play.

This is what keeps me from giving it up. I watch the game. I have the best place of where I can watch it from beginning to end (even bad games). If you are thinking of hanging it up, don't do it just yet. Get back out there and make just 1 more call and see if you would rather not do it. I don't hear the parents and only hear the really loud coaches or players. The rest means nothing to me and I just watch the game.
I'm completely opposite. More often than not I miss the great plays because I'm watching runners touch, looking for obs/int etc... Did you see that catch??? Nope. But I saw R2 touch 3B and the plate. If you are watching the ball, then you should see the great play especially a catch. I agree we do miss some of the "great" plays. But, we should see a lot of them as well especially if we are the calling umpire for the "great" play. We actually miss a lot of the great plays. I see a lot of guys watch the great plays but miss what they should be watching.
  • Like 2

This is what keeps me from giving it up. I watch the game. I have the best place of where I can watch it from beginning to end (even bad games). If you are thinking of hanging it up, don't do it just yet. Get back out there and make just 1 more call and see if you would rather not do it. I don't hear the parents and only hear the really loud coaches or players. The rest means nothing to me and I just watch the game.

I'm completely opposite. More often than not I miss the great plays because I'm watching runners touch, looking for obs/int etc... Did you see that catch??? Nope. But I saw R2 touch 3B and the plate.If you are watching the ball, then you should see the great play especially a catch. I agree we do miss some of the "great" plays. But, we should see a lot of them as well especially if we are the calling umpire for the "great" play.We actually miss a lot of the great plays. I see a lot of guys watch the great plays but miss what they should be watching.exactly my point.

I'm completely opposite. More often than not I miss the great plays because I'm watching runners touch, looking for obs/int etc... Did you see that catch??? Nope. But I saw R2 touch 3B and the plate. If you are watching the ball, then you should see the great play especially a catch. I agree we do miss some of the "great" plays. But, we should see a lot of them as well especially if we are the calling umpire for the "great" play. We actually miss a lot of the great plays. I see a lot of guys watch the great plays but miss what they should be watching.

The only "great" play I can imagine missing routinely is a troubled ball from the left side (from HP or right if you are referring to F8's right side) of F8 toward the 3B foul line when in A position.

If it is a diving stop by an infielder or a troubled ball when in B or C, I have a hard time imagining missing that play by either umpire especially the calling umpire.  If you don't see those, then you are not watching the ball and the entire play to see what happens such as INT or a time play for the tag up.  Also, if you are calling the bang bang play at 1B, then you saw the play.  Otherwise, you are only looking at the base and missing a whole lot of what is going on on the field.  Especially to see where you should be to get a proper angle.  Again, I watch the game while making the calls. I guess I just see a whole lot more of the game b/c I am keeping up with the ball while keeping track of the runner(s) to ensure no OBS or INT.  While both umpires do have their responsibility, they should still be seeing the plays on the field.  Also, time plays of a "great" tag play at 2B b/c if you don't see it as PU, you can't judge if R2 touched HP before BR was tagged at 2B.

I'm sure EVERY umpire saw the great play by the STL F1 the other night b/c no other runner was on base though they had their own responsibilities.  They watched the play and made the call at 1B.  Can't do it otherwise.

Again, I watch the game from the best place possible except the occasional one where I couldn't due to responsibilities.  And, that is why I don't "hang it up". I'm a lot closer to the action than any ordinary fan of the game.  And, I get to make the decision of how the play went.

Frankly most of the games I do don't have many great plays.  So, that is not why I umpire.  If I want the best seat in the house, and a great view of great plays, I will stick with MLB on TV.  

Umpiring on the field, for me, has nothing to do with seeing players make great plays from a good seat.  YMMV.

I stick with umpiring, despite all the crap thrown at me, because, as Bill Klem said, "Baseball is more than a game, it's a religion."  I think that sums it up quite nicely, for me.  Again, YMMV.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, just had something to say.

A couple of weeks ago I called a tournament. After the semi final game, as I was walking back to the truck to change, the catcher from the losing team came running up behind us. We tried not to stop but he was persistent, by himself and didn't appear to be upset or mad. He shook both of our hands and thanked us for working the tournament. Kids like this are only one reason I continue to umpire, but the biggest reason.

Another reason is to stay in a game that I love and cherish. It's just a small way to try to repay the enormous debt that I owe this game. From playing catch with dad in the backyard to talk and work out problems to catching up with my younger brother when he's home on leave over a game, baseball has kept us close and given us a way to connect.

Sure, there's been times when I've stepped away for a week, month or years. But when I come back, it's like meeting an old friend. Its a feeling that I hope never goes away.

• Like 4