1st coach gets dumped

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3817 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Obvisously you too haven't read fully what I've said and formed half assumptions. Yes, a manager has the right, but it has to be LEGITIMATE. Got a problem with it, talk to MLB. I don't make the rules or interpretations. Neither the guidelines and regulations for umpires. I just go by them.

If what I do doesn't work for you, fine. It doesn't mean it's wrong, nor does it mean you can personally encroach on me with cheap-shots.

Obvisously you too haven't read fully what I've said and formed half assumptions. Yes, a manager has the right, but it has to be LEGITIMATE. Got a problem with it, talk to MLB. I don't make the rules or interpretations. Neither the guidelines and regulations for umpires. I just go by them.

If what I do doesn't work for you, fine. It doesn't mean it's wrong, nor does it mean you can personally encroach on me with cheap-shots.

I don't do MLB, and either do you.  What the manager's do in MLB is what they allow in MLB. I am under no obligation to entertain a discussion like the MLB umpires are.

I don't do MLB, and either do you.  What the manager's do in MLB is what they allow in MLB. I am under no obligation to entertain a discussion like the MLB umpires are.

Not a qualified answer. We use MLB rules, MLB mechanics, MLB interpretations, MLB uniform styles, and MLB practices. Now you want to cherry pick. Okay, your prerogative. But you still haven't said where I am wrong in how I handle, nor have I claimed to ever be an MLB umpire. 

You handle things your way. I'll handle them mine. I'm just resolved not to be closed minded in learning from others because that's how you are coming across to me. Not saying you are, but that's how you come across.

Ease down guys, locking threads is not what we like to do. <br />

Manny, current teaching is to talk as little as possible. The less said, the less ammo for the coach to turn around on you. In the OP,I probably would have asked if there was a question? If he continues on mechanics, tell him to go to these dugout. If he asks about the play, fine. Telling you that you are ridiculous is grounds for ejection. It may be tame but it still questions your ability, integrity, or impartiality. Any of these need to be tossed for. I understand you had a bad experience with post school redass biting you, this is different.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I do not talk too much. I set parameters and I listen. I say as little as possible when discussing the matter. I let them have their say, to a point, then end it.  I'm not a quick trigger anymore. Believe me, the moment that OP's coach said "You're...", he wouldn't of even been able to say "ridiculous". He would have be run already and I'd be walking away. Heck, he may not of even made it to the other side of the mound! That just doesn't work (at least for me) anymore.

Is it another way to handle the situation? Yes. Is it wrong? No, it's not. There is a fine line between having a conversation and allowing just dues. I'm just a little more tolerant I guess. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's just a different way of handling it. That's all.

I do not talk too much. I set parameters and I listen. I say as little as possible when discussing the matter. I let them have their say, to a point, then end it. I'm not a quick trigger anymore. Believe me, the moment that OP's coach said "You're...", he wouldn't of even been able to say "ridiculous". He would have be run already and I'd be walking away. Heck, he may not of even made it to the other side of the mound! That just doesn't work (at least for me) anymore. Is it another way to handle the situation? Yes. Is it wrong? No, it's not. There is a fine line between having a conversation and allowing just dues. I'm just a little more tolerant I guess. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's just a different way of handling it. That's all.
Dude you are talking to much on here. So why wouldn't we think you don't talk to much on the field! You are new here and haven't earned your way yet. Give it a rest.

I do not talk too much. I set parameters and I listen. I say as little as possible when discussing the matter. I let them have their say, to a point, then end it. I'm not a quick trigger anymore. Believe me, the moment that OP's coach said "You're...", he wouldn't of even been able to say "ridiculous". He would have be run already and I'd be walking away. Heck, he may not of even made it to the other side of the mound! That just doesn't work (at least for me) anymore. Is it another way to handle the situation? Yes. Is it wrong? No, it's not. There is a fine line between having a conversation and allowing just dues. I'm just a little more tolerant I guess. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's just a different way of handling it. That's all.
Dude you are talking to much on here. So why wouldn't we think you don't talk to much on the field! You are new here and haven't earned your way yet. Give it a rest.

Oh excuse me your lordship. Fine, I'm done.

• Like 1

Dude you are talking to much on here. So why wouldn't we think you don't talk to much on the field! You are new here and haven't earned your way yet. Give it a rest. Oh excuse me your lordship. Fine, I'm done. Bye-bye

@Manny - As part of my post game ritual (especislly if there was an ej) I always ask myself what would I do differently, had I the chance. In this case.....nothing. He spoke loudly from 20+ feet away (not yelling or belligerent, but everyone could hear him). He couldn't wait until he got to me before he started. Strike 1. Then, he wants to criticize my positioning? Strike 2. At this point, it's evident he has no question about the call, but me in general. Sorry, but you get zero leeway there. I'm not reeling him in, I'm sending him back. Then he drops a You. Strike 3. I don't disagree with what you've said in any way. And I have the same book (PBUCUM) and have read every word several times. I don't work PBUC or MLB, true enough. That matters not. I strive to be just as professional as they are. In this case, I would do the same thing again. I was fully prepared to give him what I had. Explain my call and why. Not because I'm required to. Not because some book tells me to. But because its the right thing to do. Had he come to me the right way, he would have walked away with the knowledge of why I called the play the way I did. And he could have finished the game. As it went, he crossed 3 lines. I merely confirmed his desire to no longer be a participant in the day's activities. (Thanks Pete)

• Like 1

If a coach comes out on you is it proper to make him walk all the way towards your position ? What do you guys think??

quoted from Manny's 1st post

To meet with them half way on controversy situations can imply aggressiveness. A few steps towards them in non-call objecting conversations is not a problem, or in explaining decision reversing calls.

@Manny - As part of my post game ritual (especislly if there was an ej) I always ask myself what would I do differently, had I the chance. In this case.....nothing. He spoke loudly from 20+ feet away (not yelling or belligerent, but everyone could hear him). He couldn't wait until he got to me before he started. Strike 1. Then, he wants to criticize my positioning? Strike 2. At this point, it's evident he has no question about the call, but me in general. Sorry, but you get zero leeway there. I'm not reeling him in, I'm sending him back. Then he drops a You. Strike 3. I don't disagree with what you've said in any way. And I have the same book (PBUCUM) and have read every word several times. I don't work PBUC or MLB, true enough. That matters not. I strive to be just as professional as they are. In this case, I would do the same thing again. I was fully prepared to give him what I had. Explain my call and why. Not because I'm required to. Not because some book tells me to. But because its the right thing to do. Had he come to me the right way, he would have walked away with the knowledge of why I called the play the way I did. And he could have finished the game. As it went, he crossed 3 lines. I merely confirmed his desire to no longer be a participant in the day's activities. (Thanks Pete)

and if you look at the thread title, its obvious I don't have a quick trigger.

Not a qualified answer. We use MLB rules, MLB mechanics, MLB interpretations, MLB uniform styles, and MLB practices. Now you want to cherry pick. Okay, your prerogative. But you still haven't said where I am wrong in how I handle, nor have I claimed to ever be an MLB umpire. 

You handle things your way. I'll handle them mine. I'm just resolved not to be closed minded in learning from others because that's how you are coming across to me. Not saying you are, but that's how you come across.

I am sorry if you think I am saying you are wrong. I did not once say you were wrong. I was telling you my thoughts and opinions. I have been doing this for a while, and I have evolved from being a fiery red ass "eject them all" to a debater, where I wanted to impress them with my knowledge of the game and my prowess with the English language, to where I am now. I don't have many ejections anymore. I feel an ejection is a failure to communicate in many cases. However, I will not allow a coach or player to abuse me physically or verbally, or criticize my work for all to hear, or question my integrity.

I am sorry if you think I am saying you are wrong. I did not once say you were wrong. I was telling you my thoughts and opinions. I have been doing this for a while, and I have evolved from being a fiery red ass "eject them all" to a debater, where I wanted to impress them with my knowledge of the game and my prowess with the English language, to where I am now. I don't have many ejections anymore. I feel an ejection is a failure to communicate in many cases. However, I will not allow a coach or player to abuse me physically or verbally, or criticize my work for all to hear, or question my integrity.

It's all good Blue. The whole purpose of my original post was to share an alternative method of dealing with the situation that Jocko presented in his original post. I wasn't saying that Jocko was wrong. I was pointing out that there may have been another way to handle that situation, to open up discussion so that members of various levels, including myself, could learn from this experience. Instead, my post was taken as an attack against Jocko and the board rallied to his side to defend his action. No matter what I said, no one wanted to listen to the fact that I wasn't shooting Jocko down, but that I was just offering an alternative method. I never said that my way was the right way, but others took it that way and they used it to fuel the fire. So be it. If folks can't read and or comprehend what I'm saying, then why not ask me questions, like what I meant by saying that or that, or other relevant questions to see how or why I deal with it the way I explained? Instead of engaging in conversation, folks got defensive and blew up. They chose to argue. I didn't. They chose to take cheap shots. I didn't. I'm hear to learn just as the next guy and the only way that can be done is to interact with others. Sometimes that means you agree with people. Sometimes that means you disagree and may say they are wrong. I never say anyone is wrong without an explanation of my position, or why I feel they were wrong. Same with when I offer a different option. Then I ask what they think. I only ask and expect the same courtesy. It's how I feel mature adults conduct conversations without going personal and all defensive. Sure nobody likes being told they are wrong, but if the facts prove otherwise, that person must either change his ways or his thinking, or remain ignorant. Why is that so hard to comprehend? But here, no one was wrong. There was just a variance in handling. Great subject matter for discussion. (No I'm not saying or inferring anyone here is ignorant. I'm talking in generalities.)

I never said Jocko was wrong. I never thought Jocko was entirely wrong. I did think that there was possibly another way to handle the situation, and I did think that maybe he jumped the gun because he ejected on what, I felt, was a weak context of a personal attack. Does that make me right and him wrong? NO. Does that make him right and me wrong? NO. Turns out Jocko added information in the later posts that fed more into the situation. I PM'd Jocko and discussed the matter with him and we are both A-OK and have a mutual understanding. Why is so hard for the other folks here to do the same? If we can't openly discuss situations, ejections, etc., without getting all personal and derogatory, then what is the sense of this forum?

I'm not upset or offended with you Blue. I was just trying to have you see that there may have been another opportunity to handle the situation. It wasn't an attack on Jocko at all. Just a discussion. What works for me may not work for others, and vice versa. What partly works for me, might work partly for others, and vice versa. I just refuse to be closed minded. I want to hear everyones take on situations. That's how I learn, and suspect others as well. But I will not let someone say I was wrong, imply I wrong, or infer I do not know what I am doing, without due explanation. I want to know why for learning. I'm not implying you are any of that.

I will continue to participate on the board because I have the priviledge to. I support this board because I believe in it. I will always do so in a respectful, decent manner, and try to explain myself accordingly. Will I always get it right? Nope. Will I always be wrong as some here have implied? NO. I have a lot of information to share, even if it is 20 years old, but most of it is still valid today, and I'm working hard to catch up on what's what now. If I can help I will. If I can share, I will. To those who have nothing good to say about it, that's your problem. Not mine. I grew up under the premise: If you ain't got nutin' good to say, don't say it at all. Some here, I guess, never heard of that, or don't have the understanding that to communicate you have to ask questions.

It's the right thing to do.

TM