F2's throw hit's bat

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3879 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That looks like text book backswing interference to me. Kill the ball and return the runner. I think the boys just braincramped.

Disagree. Here's 6.06(c ) COMMENT:

If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around

and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the

backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and

no runner shall advance on the play.

In this play, the bat did not hit the ball. Rather, the thrown ball hit the bat. No backswing INT.

• Like 1

That looks like text book backswing interference to me. Kill the ball and return the runner. I think the boys just braincramped. 

Disagree -- the backswing interference is based on the swing hitting the catcher or the ball before its caught.  Here it was just the throw hitting the bat.  And the ruling depends on whether there was a play or not and whether there was intent or not etc.  Here they got it right.

Never seen this happen before. Have had it happen in a game when the catcher hit the batter in the helmet. I felt it was a real cheap shot on the catcher trying to draw an interference call out of me. Some pissed off opposing players.

You guys are correct, I braincramped. :) I'm going to go sit in the corner for penance.
Don't worry Mike! You have been wrong multiple times before. We are used to it! Sent from my Bed
  • Like 2