Sell my Carlucci?

Replacematt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3889 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Are you a sentimental collector of obscure umpiring paraphernalia?

I'm more worried about it disappearing down the line. Buyer dies, family sells it to Play It Again, kid buys it, ends up in the trash.

So you are sentimental, and I don't mean to be at all derogatory: you care about the thing as an artifact of quality and value its connection to Cece and others.

You should probably keep it, and modify your will so that someone who cares will inherit it.

Are you a sentimental collector of obscure umpiring paraphernalia?
I'm more worried about it disappearing down the line. Buyer dies, family sells it to Play It Again, kid buys it, ends up in the trash. So you are sentimental, and I don't mean to be at all derogatory: you care about the thing as an artifact of quality and value its connection to Cece and others. You should probably keep it, and modify your will so that someone who cares will inherit it. Ok guys I'm young so anybody care to explain to me the carlucci story?

Hello!

Subject: "My name is jkumpire."

Crowd: "hello jkumpire."

Moderator: "What do you do for a living jkumpire?"

Subject: "I do many things, among them breathe, eat, sleep, drink water and run an orphanage for lonely Carlucci Chest protectors. I have two as of now, and they need a third one to keep them company."

Moderator: "How do you know they need a third one? Have they said they need a new friend?"

Subject: "No, they said you can never be too 'lucci."

Drum: "Ba Bing!" 

Crowd: "Groan." 

(I'll give it a nice home) :nod:

BRUMP,

Cece Carlucci was known in many places as the umpire's umpire. For many years he was among the best umpires on the West Coast and worked the PCL before MLB showed up, and the PCL was as greatly followed in the West as MLB was in the East.

Evenutally Cece retired and started making hand made umpire equipment from his home outside Los Angeles. He made just about everything for umpires, from CP's and guards to ball bags and travel bags for umpires. Tradition was that everybody who got an MLB job, and many who got a job in the minors, would go visit Cece and he would make gear for them. And this is in the days before the West Vest. In those days Cece made the best gear in the world.

Cece was also a man who wanted to talk umpiring, with everyone. Even if you were a perfect stranger if he found out you were an umpire he would talk to you for days. I got his number and called him once to see if he would make me a set of ball bags (in the 1980's). We talked for over 21/2 hours over a land line, and I enjoyed the call immensly, until the bill for the call came the next month. If he was still alive we might still be talking over baseball umpire on the same call. A lovely man who made absolutely great great equipment and if you ever get a chance to get some, buy it.

I hope some other older posters from the West Coast who knew him would speak up. I knew him by repuatation and couple of phone calls. I just wish he'd written a book about his years in Baseball.       

BRUMP,

Cece Carlucci was known in many places as the umpire's umpire. For many years he was among the best umpires on the West Coast and worked the PCL before MLB showed up, and the PCL was as greatly followed in the West as MLB was in the East.

Evenutally Cece retired and started making hand made umpire equipment from his home outside Los Angeles. He made just about everything for umpires, from CP's and guards to ball bags and travel bags for umpires. Tradition was that everybody who got an MLB job, and many who got a job in the minors, would go visit Cece and he would make gear for them. And this is in the days before the West Vest. In those days Cece made the best gear in the world.

Cece was also a man who wanted to talk umpiring, with everyone. Even if you were a perfect stranger if he found out you were an umpire he would talk to you for days. I got his number and called him once to see if he would make me a set of ball bags (in the 1980's). We talked for over 21/2 hours over a land line, and I enjoyed the call immensly, until the bill for the call came the next month. If he was still alive we might still be talking over baseball umpire on the same call. A lovely man who made absolutely great great equipment and if you ever get a chance to get some, buy it.

I hope some other older posters from the West Coast who knew him would speak up. I knew him by repuatation and couple of phone calls. I just wish he'd written a book about his years in Baseball.       

Also worked the CWS in 1970.