Inside the park attempt...

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3899 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:fuel: Hand was on the plate before the tag...F2 left pocket couldn't see it, POP or 1blx will see that.  At 1:08 or 1:09 ( I can't stop it) it looks to me like the hand is in there.

:fuel: Hand was on the plate before the tag...F2 left pocket couldn't see it, POP or 1blx will see that.  At 1:08 or 1:09 ( I can't stop it) it looks to me like the hand is in there.

I was going to wait to see how long it took for someone else to say this ..... thanks Larry ...

I agree with Larry

There's no way he can adjust to POP or 1BLX on this.  He was where he needed to be to get a good look.  

Call this runner safe and see how it works out for you....

can I ask why? when Byrd is on his way to second, you can see PU heading to third, .... isn't that when the rotation would happen?

p.s. I dont' do 4 man, so I don't know, I'm simply asking a question, not being arguementative

With the bases empty and U2 going out, I believe U1 rotates home when the BR commits to third in four man mechanics.

U1 was in the correct position for this play.  F2 is way out in front of the plate and anyone would read this to be a swipe tag all the way.  1BLX would be a worse position on this play 99% of the time.  You've got to play the odds.

I agree with the call.  Even if there was instant replay (a la NFL), I don't think there may be enough even to reverse the call.

I am not a fan of 3BLX, but before you all start pounding on the keyboards, I recognize it is the standard and won't argue the point.  This is one case where it's not the best place to be.

I thought watching it in real time that his hand beat the mitt. I said to myself "he's safe" and then the out call came. Having said that I would've been 3BLX as well and probably would've gotten an out there. Like @grayhawk said, you've gotta play the odds and use what you see from where you are.

With the bases empty and U2 going out, I believe U1 rotates home when the BR commits to third in four man mechanics.

U1 was in the correct position for this play.  F2 is way out in front of the plate and anyone would read this to be a swipe tag all the way.  1BLX would be a worse position on this play 99% of the time.  You've got to play the odds.

thanks Steve

thanks Steve

He stole my thunder.  I wasn't talking about the rotation, it was exactly right.  I was just talking about U1 taking the play at the plate.  I think 99 percent of MLB/MiLB umpires would take it from the same spot and have the same call on this play.