In this thread, we post LLWS observations

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3819 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Whether you love or hate Little League, the next couple of weeks gives us a great chance to watch on TV those who choose umpiring as an avocation.  These are folks that have, in many cases, been volunteering for 20+ years and were selected to umpire in the LLWS.  They may not always be the "best" that LL has to offer, but they are among the most dedicated.

Use this thread to post your observations - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  There may be situations that need their own thread, but this is a good place to post things you see that you wouldn't start a new thread to discuss.

Here's the full TV schedule for those who want to see some games:

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries/tvlistingsFULL.htm

There are a bunch of regional games being broadcast over the next 4 days, with the LLWS starting up on 8/15.

I'll start:

In the first NW region semi-final game, U1 is looking very professional.  Great positioning and timing, and looks confident and natural out there.  One of the general criticisms I have for LLWS umpires is some of them look like a cross between a robot, and a Wimbledon ball boy.  They are so stiff in their movements, but if they need to move 3 feet after a play is over, they feel like they must HUSTLE in those three feet.

Second:

In the Midwest region semi-final yesterday between Minnesota and South Dakota.  Bottom of the 3rd, no outs and R1, the batter hits a grounder to F6, who steps on second for the out on R1 and then throws to first to attempt a double-play.  The throw is bad and gets past F3.  The BR sees this and after overrunning first, he takes a hard left and runs into U1.  After getting untangled, he continues to advance and is thrown out at second.  U1 calls "umpire interference" and they award the BR second base!  Yikes!  The SD coach didn't even question it.

Right after that play, PU comes up with a big "FOUL!" call on a roller down the 3B line that went past the bag, stepping on U3's call.  The call was correct, but luckily, U3 had better timing and didn't make the double call.

I'll start:

In the first NW region semi-final game, U1 is looking very professional.  Great positioning and timing, and looks confident and natural out there.  One of the general criticisms I have for LLWS umpires is some of them look like a cross between a robot, and a Wimbledon ball boy.  They are so stiff in their movements, but if they need to move 3 feet after a play is over, they feel like they must HUSTLE in those three feet.

Second:

In the Midwest region semi-final yesterday between Minnesota and South Dakota.  Bottom of the 3rd, no outs and R1, the batter hits a grounder to F6, who steps on second for the out on R1 and then throws to first to attempt a double-play.  The throw is bad and gets past F3.  The BR sees this and after overrunning first, he takes a hard left and runs into U1.  After getting untangled, he continues to advance and is thrown out at second.  U1 calls "umpire interference" and they award the BR second base!  Yikes!  The SD coach didn't even question it.

Right after that play, PU comes up with a big "FOUL!" call on a roller down the 3B line that went past the bag, stepping on U3's call.  The call was correct, but luckily, U3 had better timing and didn't make the double call.

See this thread for where they learned that you can call "Umpire Obstruction": http://umphub.com/blog/2012/03/what-is-umpire-obstruction/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=what-is-umpire-obstruction

Although I'm not sure why the NCAA guys brought the runner back to 1B and the LL guys left him at 2B. I'm looking through the rule book now. :no:

I'll start:

Second:

See this thread for where they learned that you can call "Umpire Obstruction": http://umphub.com/blog/2012/03/what-is-umpire-obstruction/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=what-is-umpire-obstruction

Although I'm not sure why the NCAA guys brought the runner back to 1B and the LL guys left him at 2B. I'm looking through the rule book now. :no:

I saw this umpire interference yesterday too, I was rather baffled that all 6 umpires allowed this to happen.

This is an incorrect use of umpire-interference, correct?  

I'll start:

Second:

I saw this umpire interference yesterday too, I was rather baffled that all 6 umpires allowed this to happen.

This is an incorrect use of umpire-interference, correct?  

Yes, it was an incorrect ruling.  Umpire interference occurs in two situations:

1.  Umpire interferes with F2's attempt to throw out a runner.  Runners return.

2.  Batted ball hits an umpire before it passes a fielder, except for the pitcher.  Immediate dead ball.  BR to first, other runners return unless forced.

In this case, it's a big, fat NOTHING and the BR is just as in jeopardy of being put out as if he never had run into U1.

• Like 1

Is that Cedric The Entertainer doing PU for Ill vs WI? Not impressed with this crew.

:-(

They don't look nearly as good as the crew that worked the NW region game earlier.

I turned on the TV tonight and watched the Wiconsin/Illinois game for about an inning and it was all I could take. For starters the home plate umpire was a conservative 300 lbs and with his body mic on you could hear him "laboring" throughout. I watched as there were multiple hits and runners moving and he never took his "bucket" off his head. There were also some uniform discrepancies that I noticed. The home plate umpire was wearing heather grey pants with a dark grey colored ball bags. The other (5) umpires looked like there was some wearing heather grey and some wearing dark grey. Their light blue shirts were also mismatched as some had the RW&B and some had Blue&Black. I think one constant is the "over exagerated calls" that are made. HUGE strike and out mechanics used. I guess this could be attributed to the excitment of being on TV.

I am not trying to knock LL but it seems like every year when they have these games, even up to the finals, the crews almost appear sloppy. I know that these guys aren't paid so it shows dedication on their part to be there, I just can't imagine myself going on TV without making sure that I looked my very best.

• Like 1

I turned on the TV tonight and watched the Wiconsin/Illinois game for about an inning and it was all I could take. For starters the home plate umpire was a conservative 300 lbs and with his body mic on you could hear him "laboring" throughout. I watched as there were multiple hits and runners moving and he never took his "bucket" off his head. There were also some uniform discrepancies that I noticed. The home plate umpire was wearing heather grey pants with a dark grey colored ball bags. The other (5) umpires looked like there was some wearing heather grey and some wearing dark grey. Their light blue shirts were also mismatched as some had the RW&B and some had Blue&Black. I think one constant is the "over exagerated calls" that are made. HUGE strike and out mechanics used. I guess this could be attributed to the excitment of being on TV.

I am not trying to knock LL but it seems like every year when they have these games, even up to the finals, the crews almost appear sloppy. I know that these guys aren't paid so it shows dedication on their part to be there, I just can't imagine myself going on TV without making sure that I looked my very best.

I agree with everything you said. I just turned this game on, OMG!

There was just a check swing appeal to U3 and he paused and took a full step forward, almost as if he was waiting for the TV camera to point to him, and gave this methodical/robotic SAFE mechanic from his chin.  

the game is still on (2 more outs)..I actually was thinking the guy got out from behind the plate pretty good...doesn't take the bucket off though...but other than appearing overweight, I don't have a problem with the guy

I know I'm probably wrong, but in the last game when the check swing was appealed to U3, and he called "safe", I could have sworn I heard a spectator say in the background "you don't have any guts!"

?  

I know I'm probably wrong, but in the last game when the check swing was appealed to U3, and he called "safe", I could have sworn I heard a spectator say in the background "you don't have any guts!"

?  

I thought he said "They don't have any nuts"

?  

I thought he said "They don't have any nuts"

Well then we're both close?

:-]

• Like 1

3K mechanic looks like an afterthought

I have seen several LL umpires this week use the standard hammer and then tack on some sort of 3K attempt at a mechanic. Just looks robotic and awkward.

I watched as there were multiple hits and runners moving and he never took his "bucket" off his head.

Most pro catcher's these days don't take their masks off. They see just fine.

I've seen an MLB catcher catch a popup without removing his bucket - because you can see that well.

Your vision is MUCH better with a bucket. The only reason to take it off is to satisfy someone else's sense of propriety.