Officiating other sports

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3486 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As our sport slows down and transitions into fall ball

I have been wondering about other sports.

My brother- in-law calls Lacrosse-HS and below in Houston (20 years).

I have watched him call and he has watched me call.

His comment to me was “Wow I would not want to do that. Too much gear, grief and low payâ€

My comment to him was “How much do you make for doing that in shorts, shirt, hat and whistle AND don’t people ever hassle you?â€

To the member of this forum that call other sports:

How do we compare on pay, amount of gear needed, training requirements and grief?

When you take the equipment expense into consideration I think the umpires definitely lose out.  I have also refereed basketball and football.  But I will say that I still prefer baseball and even softball to the others.  In basketball there is so much judgement that goes into calls that it's almost impossible to be consistent.  Plus there are so many things that go on that the referees, even three of them, cannot see.  Same goes for football.  In baseball I see most everything, it's just a matter of judging it.

I did football for a few years before my day job prevented me. You get less grief because if they push you, you can throw a flag on them and it actually hurts them. ( 15 yards) Gear is less than the cost of baseball. There is a lot of training needed though because each penalty has its own enforcement.

Sure you get more grief and use more gear in baseball. But no whistle and no clock!

Nothing better in HS sports.

I am crew chief and white hat for my football crew, and work boys and girls varsity basketball in winter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

I did football for a few years before my day job prevented me. You get less grief because if they push you, you can throw a flag on them and it actually hurts them. ( 15 yards) Gear is less than the cost of baseball. There is a lot of training needed though because each penalty has its own enforcement.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Sure you get more grief and use more gear in baseball. But no whistle and no clock!

Nothing better in HS sports.

I am crew chief and white hat for my football crew, and work boys and girls varsity basketball in winter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Depends on the area and level. In Oregon, I made about $55/ game. In LA I made about $65/ game. Dues and fees were different as well. IN OR it was $65 dues and in LA it's almost $100.

I do football and basketball as well.  Baseball easily has the highest equipment cost but also the highest revenue potential due to long season (compared to the others unless you want to do spring/summer or AAU basketball - no thanks). Basketball is fun but different, good exercise. Football takes quite a bit of time to prepare but the shortest season.  I feel like just when I'm starting to hit my stride and it's over. And games tend to be clustered on the same nights for everyone, at least around here (Mon and Thur for jr high, varsity on Fri, JV on Sat), not spread out like baseball.

Anyway, central OH breaks down as follows (approx...it might vary a bit depending on league):

Jr. High:  Football $38, Baseball $38, Basketball $38

Freshman:  Football $40, Baseball $38, Basketball $38 (I think, can't remember)

JV:  Football $45, Baseball $40, Basketball $40

Varsity:  Football $60, Baseball $50, Basketball $60

Travel/Youth:  Football $45, Baseball $45, Basketball varies widely ($20-$30 for running clock games, etc)

naturally, more variation for travel/non-scholastic games, but these are averages I've seen. As far as grief, not sure there's much difference. HS games and coaches, much less grief, travel/ youth with daddy coaches = much more grief. Pretty universal. At least with football, they're not very close to you. And in basketball you have the T avail if needed.

• Like 1

Anyway, central OH breaks down as follows (approx...it might vary a bit depending on league):

Jr. High:  Football $38, Baseball $38, Basketball $38

Freshman:  Football $40, Baseball $38, Basketball $38 (I think, can't remember)

JV:  Football $45, Baseball $40, Basketball $40

Varsity:  Football $60, Baseball $50, Basketball $60

Travel/Youth:  Football $45, Baseball $45, Basketball varies widely ($20-$30 for running clock games, etc)

About the same where I am.

How about crap from player, fans and/or coaches?

Football is pretty crap free, but then I'm not a wing so I can't hear it. :)

Basketball: you need a rather thicker skin than in baseball, because everyone is on you, sometimes all game long. It can vary quite a bit by school and diminishes as you move up, but they're right on top of you, without even a chain link fence to protect your butt.

I do hockey - to stay in shape for baseball - Pay depends on the level that you do (starts around $22 per game) - usually do 2 or so games. Easier than baseball - smaller area, you usually have a partner, game is on a clock (basically an hour per game then out of there), grief from coaches - depends on the level.

Equipment can be expensive - skates = $400 or so, Helmet = $100 or so, pads and sweaters. Trips to the ER = more than baseball (stitches), pucks hurt more than baseballs.

Oh yeah ---- you need to be able to skate (forward and backward).

My son played high school lacrosse and I still don't get it. The rules are sort of weird!!  I was once asked to officiate volleyball, now that sounds like a trip.

My son played high school lacrosse and I still don't get it. The rules are sort of weird!!  I was once asked to officiate volleyball, now that sounds like a trip.

I hear calling vollyball is like stealing money.

• Like 1

My wife is a high school volleyball coach.  I used to call volleyball before we had kids.  Now my fall season consists of taking kids to mom's games.  At lower age levels and at lower ability levels calling volleyball can be like stealing money.  You are usually in an air conditioned gym, standing still, wearing a polo, pants and a whistle.  There isn't much high flying action, so the calls are generally pretty easy.  When you get two good high school varsity teams playing it gets fast paced and difficult to call.  If you haven't been around volleyball much it can be real tough.  My wife gets on to me all the time for my baseball umpiring buddies calling her games that are stealing her money.  For us that can be a good term.  For my wife it is not.  It means they don't know what they're doing and aren't doing a very good job.  I'm at the games, and I usually can't disagree with her.  It's easy to spot a "volleyball" referee or someone who is just calling volleyball once you get to that level. This is where I'll brag on my wife and tell you she has been to 11 final 4's in the last 12 years and has won 4 state titles.  

ive talked to @mstaylor about his officiating volleyball.....im sure hed disagree with you

How do we compare on pay, amount of gear needed, training requirements and grief?

Baseball gets the short end of the stick every way you cut it. Looks like from above Hockey is more expensive to get into. 

I've been asked to do that too. I plan on taking the course, but won't officiate it until my daughter finishes her playing. 

Football – Refuse to do it. I played football (WR/FS/KR/PR), and I've been on the sidelines during some doozies. This is the one sport I'd rather be a coach for than an official for. You think everyone (coaches and parents) thinks they know the rules of baseball... This delusional-ness is nothing compared to football. ("How is that not a hold??!!! Are all you guys blind???!!" )

Soccer – Still play it, have refereed Squirt games, and would referee it if I wasn't playing it or umpiring baseball during season. You run _alot_, because unlike baseball, where angle trumps distance, you get screamed at in soccer if you're not in/on top of the action (I know, I've done the screaming... How you can call an offsides call from 40 yards away is incomprehensible). You need a thick skin for this, perhaps a Kevlar vest (stabbing more than shooting) for some games. Tolerance of being spit on and your inoculations for others. Least amount of equipment needed.

Basketball – have done it in the past, and have gotten real soured on it. I was a part of a collegiate basketball program. Parents and coaches get psychotic over calls you make (or, in my case, calls I don't make - "How is that not a foul??!!"), and as someone else said, they are right on top of you. I don't like the idea of a full-out brawl breaking out on the floor because two players (or more) are in rival gangs, or dated the same girl (or guy), or whatever, and I suddenly have the entire audience coming down on me. I have a real issue with parents claiming they can do a better job than me from where they're sitting... Problem is, with basketball, it's made me pause and think they're right.

Hockey – probably the one sport that trumps baseball in equipment cost. I'm _heavily_ considering taking this up. I played recreational hockey (eh, so-so), but really follow it during its season. I like the idea of being a part of the action, and look forward to giving this a try. Because of the particular requirements, it's difficult to conduct a CYO hockey game of a competitive nature, so as a referee or linesman, you're in demand, and not just any kid with black track pants and a whistle can do it (see basketball). Also, because ice time is expensive, the stakes are a little higher for you to make the right/fair calls, but parents are usually appreciative of your participation.

Volleyball – Yes, it is stealing. Besides, have you seen the athletes? Hubbida.

Water Polo – See volleyball, with a slightly more complex rules set.

Lacrosse / Field Hockey – I swear they make this up as they go. I've played it, and even I got confused. Because of the novelty factor, I don't think parents get on the officials case, because they don't understand what's going on. There isn't alot of strategy to lacrosse, so coaches aren't bristling about your call thwarting a scoring opportunity, or you "taking the stick out of their hands".

Tennis – Ha. Next! (I'm not trying to offend tennis referees... but really?)

Big, with your height, have you considered being a high-jump or pole-vault official? ;)

"Big, with your height, have you considered being a high-jump or pole-vault official? "

Nope.

The only sport I ever really played a lot of was baseball and mens traveling fast pitch softball.

I am over 7 feet fingertip to fingertip and could really bring it in fast pitch LONG, LONG ago. 

I believe you will never really be good at officiating a sport you did not play. BUT YMMV.

My wife is a high school volleyball coach.  I used to call volleyball before we had kids.  Now my fall season consists of taking kids to mom's games.  At lower age levels and at lower ability levels calling volleyball can be like stealing money.  You are usually in an air conditioned gym, standing still, wearing a polo, pants and a whistle.  There isn't much high flying action, so the calls are generally pretty easy.  When you get two good high school varsity teams playing it gets fast paced and difficult to call.  If you haven't been around volleyball much it can be real tough.  My wife gets on to me all the time for my baseball umpiring buddies calling her games that are stealing her money.  For us that can be a good term.  For my wife it is not.  It means they don't know what they're doing and aren't doing a very good job.  I'm at the games, and I usually can't disagree with her.  It's easy to spot a "volleyball" referee or someone who is just calling volleyball once you get to that level. This is where I'll brag on my wife and tell you she has been to 11 final 4's in the last 12 years and has won 4 state titles.

What Law said is so true. If you get two good teams, whether it's JV or varsity, that ball can move extremely fast. My concentration level must be @ 100% because of the fast movement. At the lower levels it can be like taking money. However in a good competitive Sat. tournament, I really have to work at it. It has taken me 5 years to be where I'm just now comfortable. As far as equipment, it's not even close. I think I've spent $300 (?) total in 5 years. I spent that much my first year in baseball. And most of that is for shoes. The uniforms last if you take care of them. I take way more abuse in baseball than volleyball. Not even close. Volleyball starts in about 3 weeks for me. And if you have a stubborn back, which I do, standing up for hours on Sat. can be extremely tiring. I don't see how you guys that call basketball, can do it. It appears you really have to have thick skin for that sport!

@ Big Umpire,

I somewhat agree about your comment that if you never played a sport, it's more difficult to become a good official. I never played volleyball and it has been tough. I would call myself competent. It's been tough learning the ropes. I've had a good mentor. She is great!

Volleyball may be one of the most difficult sports to officiate properly. Just as baseball has different responsibilities for umpires, so does volleyball.

Most spectators only pay attention to the play near the ball, but there are so many other aspects of the game that officials have to be able to recognize instantly in order to officiate the game correctly. For example, the down official needs to ensure that the defensive team’s players are in the proper positions as the ball is put into play. That may seem easy, but when teams substitute continually, the official needs to track which players are in the set and which of the six positions each should be in throughout the match.

The up official also needs to track the order of the serving team and the receiving team to ensure that not only are the teams in proper alignment, but also that both team’s players do not return the ball improperly if they are supposed to be in the back row.

I have officiated volleyball for about ten years. It took me about four years of constant attention to master the teams’ rotations, alignments, and other things that the casual fan knows nothing of like back row attacks, jousts, and illegal libero replacements.

In NJ, girls’ volleyball is a fall sport and boys’ (which is a completely different animal) is in the spring. Boys’ volleyball does not have near the participation that the girls do, so springtime is for baseball first and volleyball second. Girls’ volleyball starts in three weeks.

The fees for volleyball exceed baseball, as the norm is to have varsity followed by JV. Typically, an official will earn $105-$115 for the combined matches. Freshman matches are solo and typically run in the $70-75 range.

Volleyball coaches get on bad officials (like they should). Girls rarely give any lip, while the boys can act like animals if you let them. Game management is critical for boys, but not so much for the girls. The fans can get surly in big matches, but who cares about them? Volleyball is a great sport when played and officiated correctly.

• Like 1

@ Big Umpire,

I somewhat agree about your comment that if you never played a sport, it's more difficult to become a good official. I never played volleyball and it has been tough. I would call myself competent. It's been tough learning the ropes. I've had a good mentor. She is great!

I am just convinced you never get a “feel" for what is happening OR what will happen next.

We start off our first meeting with a statement of " If you have never played this sport at a competitive level, you don’t really love this game OR you are here because you think will make some quick money in your first year you might as well leave nowâ€

• Like 1

I disagree,I was a very good soccer official until my ankle injury. I have gone to VB but am still learning. Even as a first year I was doing playoff lines. Next year I may be getting R2 playoffs. I played neither. <br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I used to do wrestling. This is the one sport where a less than competent official can result in participant injury. The pay here for HS is essentially the same as FB & BB...high 70s to 80. Now in addition to BB & SB, I do FB. I agree VB is robbery, except that it has the toughest training program. I think $100 for varsity.