Chipper Jones on Angel Hernandez...

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3899 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Former Brave Jones wants umpire Hernandez to lose job By The Sports Xchange | The SportsXchange â€“ 1 hour 19 minutes ago

Former Atlanta Braves third baseman chipper Jones does not like what he sees when Angele Hernandez is umpiring a game.  The future Hall of Famer, who retired at the end of last season, sent out a series of tweets Friday expressing his dissatisfaction with the job Hernandez is doing.

Even though Hernandez has more than 2,500 games of major league umpiring experience, he is not considered popular among fans and players due to his perceived inconsistent strike zone.  "Didn't take Angel long to screw up the strike zone, did it??? Hang with em, Simba!!!" Jones wrote early during the Braves 5-4 loss to the Philadelphia Phillies.

Jones then tweeted that he would boycott any games that Hernandez is working.  "I will not watch a game, any game, officiated by Angel Hernandez! His incompetence amazes me and I'm tired of MLB doing squat about it! Nite," he wrote. 

But Jones was not done. He concluded by urging fans to join him in refusing to watch games worked by Hernandez. "Our only recourse, as fans, is to turn the station whenever he, or his crew, are on the field. When viewer numbers go down, MLB will notice," Jones wrote.

Jones played 19 seasons, all with the Braves, and is considered one of the greatest switch hitters of all time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-brave-jones-wants-umpire-160026676--mlb.html

I am very skeptical when players heap praise on an umpire, that is a false positive in my opinion. The nature of the job causes conflict, and major disagreement. So be it.

From an article in "Baseball Nation"

From the bright mind of Josh Kalk and The Hardball Times?

When you focus in on Angel Hernandez specifically, you find that he grades out as an above-average umpire in each metric of even-handedness. No matter how you slice it, looking at the 2008 PITCHf/x data, Hernandez is a quality umpire among an already amazing group. While he doesn't get every call right, he gets the vast majority correct and his strike zone hardly varies from game to game.

Some sources for strike zones  www.brooksbaseball.net             home of the pitchf/x

www.baseballheatmaps.com

strikezonemaps.wordpress.com

Yes, all the MLB umpires grade out very well statistically. My question is, when you look at these pitch charts, there are always a handful of pitches that come right down the middle of the chute that are not called strikes. Any explanation for those, apart from human error?

Yes, all the MLB umpires grade out very well statistically. My question is, when you look at these pitch charts, there are always a handful of pitches that come right down the middle of the chute that are not called strikes. Any explanation for those, apart from human error?
Usually breaking balls at the top or bottom that nobody wants called strikes.

Usually breaking balls at the top or bottom that nobody wants called strikes.

Or pitches butchered by the catcher. The fact remains that Angel is a pretty good umpire with a bad rap. There are others that could be complained about,Angel isn't it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

At least Gregg showed consistency! ! Plus I think he had a men's rec league game later that night so he just wanted his fee and to get out of there! ! :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Younger folks see that clip and think it's completely outrageous, but in those days umpires at that level identified themselves by the zones they called. Gregg's got more press because, like the man himself, it was easy to spot.

Though in the game in that clip, I have no idea where the camera was or how accurate that "frame" might be. Did you notice that all the batters were LH? Didn't any RH batters strike out in that game? What did their pitches look like with that "frame"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most if not all mlb umpires are good. I have some issue with Joe West, I seriously wrote a letter to mlb over it.  Surprise i got like one of those automatically replay back.

My issue was that Joe west touch terry when he was a red sox manager on a Wakefield balk. that was my issue. I don't know if he was meaning to do it or not. but it look horrible. I still back joe west calls up though.

Younger folks see that clip and think it's completely outrageous, but in those days umpires at that level identified themselves by the zones they called. Gregg's got more press because, like the man himself, it was easy to spot.

Though in the game in that clip, I have no idea where the camera was or how accurate that "frame" might be. Did you notice that all the batters were LH? Didn't any RH batters strike out in that game? What did their pitches look like with that "frame"?

Not sure who started, but lots of Braves hitting left-handed.

C     Javy Lopez (right)

1B     Fred McGriff (left)

2B     Mark Lemke (both)

3B     Chipper Jones (both)

SS     Jeff Blauser (right)

LF     Ryan Klesko (left)

CF     Kenny Lofton (left)

RF     Michael Tucker (left)

Most if not all mlb umpires are good. I have some issue with Joe West, I seriously wrote a letter to mlb over it.  Surprise i got like one of those automatically replay back.

What else did you expect to get back? A handwritten letter?

Really ? I was excepting nothing.