Suspended game & the umpire

Guest Coach42
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3954 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Coach42

We are in the playoffs against a team that is just wild!! We've played them before and when at their home field the umpires they use let them get away with everything, it drives us crazy!!!!

So we have a game that was suspended because of darkness, it's a play off game and it was tied up. We are finishing the game next week but I want to KEEP the same ump! It was at our field and I know they didn't like some of the calls that were made, but they were by the book, this time they just happened to benefit us instead of them. This is only the second time we've had this umpire and the time before he was great too, the other coaches have never had a problem with him.

Is there a rule or any reason NOT to have the same guy back?

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

Selection of umpires varies from league to league, there is nothing in the rules about it... If you think umpires aren't being impartial, I'd suggest going to the board and requesting a presence at a game... And if neither team likes the others umps, I'd suggest the board selecting two umpires.

Let me get this straight - you like the umpire when you think you get the calls, but you don't like the umpire when you think the other team gets the calls.  Is that about right?

• Like 4

Usually the same umpire finishes because he already got paid for the game. If he has a game conflict, that needs to be worked out.I read the OP as the other leagues umpires let the chirping and other dumb stuff go. The umpire in question has had two good games with them, no mention of his the breaks went.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Usually the same umpire finishes because he already got paid for the game. If he has a game conflict, that needs to be worked out.I read the OP as the other leagues umpires let the chirping and other dumb stuff go. The umpire in question has had two good games with them, no mention of his the breaks went.

I have no problem working the completion, but I expect to get paid for my time the second night or I'll just go work something else instead.

Sent via Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I have no problem working the completion, but I expect to get paid for my time the second night or I'll just go work something else instead.

Sent via Tapatalk 4

Yep. I'm the same way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ask the umpire what night or nights he is available and then schedule your team so that just by happenstance it can only play on one of those nights.  That's just good ol' playing within the system. lol.

I'd still turn it down without a second game check.

Ask the umpire what night or nights he is available and then schedule your team so that just by happenstance it can only play on one of those nights.  That's just good ol' playing within the system. lol.

Of course. I'm just addressing it from the coaches point of view and how to get the umpire you want back at the game - given that hes going to have to pay someone to finish it.

Of course. I'm just addressing it from the coaches point of view and how to get the umpire you want back at the game - given that hes going to have to pay someone to finish it.

Maybe he'd do better with someone else there. :)