Why does no one seem to use the hockey style mask?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3928 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm very new to umpiring (haven't even done my first game yet), but I've noticed that throughout the ranks, very few umpires seem to wear the hockey style catchers mask rather than the more popular traditional mask. Why is that? I'm currently trying to find the right gear and as a lifelong catcher, I absolutely hated the traditional mask and always stuck with the hockey style. Can anyone let me in on why the traditional mask seems to be so popular?

I have both and wear both...anything with a short backstop or overhang gets the HSM, if there's a nice breeze on a hot day, it gets the HSM. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but the design of the ONLY helmet I would wear, the All-Star MVP 2500/4000, makes it actually cooler than a hat and mask. If it's an overcast day or I just feel like I'll wear the HSM. On a nice sunny day with a deep backstop I'm more prone to wearing my silver Diamond lightweight with Team Wendy pads. It seems to fade away easier on bright days and is slightly easier to remove with sunglasses, though not significantly so. Plus there is one particular assigner around here that I know has a thing against HSM, so I'll wear a mask if I know he's around or if it's his tournament (he is TD/UIC for a couple).

of course if you are of a certain age and were a catcher, your experience with the HSM can be limited.....it wasnt an option of when I played for catchers or umpires..... but I have tried one, a good friend loaned me his one summer when he had to take off umpiring due to some health issues......I never developed a liking to it.......I found it hot, restricting and awkward. My Calls seemed to reverberate inside it and I could never find a good way to manage it when it needed to come off.....the little things I needed to "hear" seemed more difficult......( that might be age...lol).....

I always thought as the HSM became more common/required in the youth/HS leagues that the traditional mask would lose its popularity as the youth move up to college/pros and then also on to umpiring, but I see many catchers ditching the HSM for the traditional mask and helmet....my son who caught in college, ditched the HSM for the mask/helmet even though both were provided to him.

Its personal preference....... in my current association, I would wager that its 95% traditional 5% HSM..........    

I switched this year. I saw yet another MLB'er go down in spring training getting hit on a batter's one-handed backswing. With a number of small children running around my house, I can't afford a closed-head injury and chose to reduce that risk.

I thought I would hate it, but got used to it very fast. I use it exactly as I used my mask. I spent the money on the new Wilson FX 2.0 with a titanium cage: it's light, great protection, great look, a little hot. I'll never go back.

I'm an evaluator for my state and association, and I'd never ding an umpire for his choice of mask or bucket. I regard it as a personal choice.

I find a lot more of the younger umpires use them, as that's what most of teams provide for their catchers these days, and if that's what you grew up with as a player, you tend to stick with that as an ump.

I don't have one, but I have used them, and I love the fact that you don't have to wear a hat.  But honestly, I just don't like the way they look sometimes, when young catchers are wearing them I guess cause they are small they look fine, but some of the bigger sizes are so big and funny looking that one guy I work with who's a skinny rail of a guy, when he has it on his head looks so big compared to the rest of his body, that he looks like the creature Alien!

i have used both....and i think theyre are pros and cons for each...ill give u some of mine

Traditional pros-lighter, ability to have TW pads, not cumbersome when removed

Traditional cons- no side protection, no top protection, you have to wear a hat which makes it hotter than a good HSM

HSM pros- better weight distribution, side and top of head protection, better field vision, cooler than a traditional

HSM cons- very bulky and cumbersome when removed, can not put TW pads in

i have used both....and i think theyre are pros and cons for each...ill give u some of mine

Traditional cons- no side protection, no top protection, you have to wear a hat which makes it hotter than a good HSM

HSM pros- better weight distribution, side and top of head protection, better field vision, cooler than a traditional

You really should wear a hat no matter what helmet you wear. ;)

• Like 2

After a concussion this year on a very innocent-appearing foul ball to the mask, I am considering a HSM, echoing a sentiment here to wear one on fields with close backstops (which I work a few of).  I don't see myself abandoning the traditional mask, though.

The All-Star MVP4000 is the only one I am considering, and once I get over the relatively high price of entry, will probably have one in time for fall ball here.

I think hats under helmets look silly myself, but to each their own

I think hats under helmets look silly myself, but to each their own

IMO, when you take the helmet off for plays, and you don't have a hat on, it looks sillier. Just my opinion though, YMMV.

I wear a traditional mask anyway, used to wear the hockey style but ditched it because of the weight.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help. This has been extremely informative. I'm 18, by the way, so I would be considered a "younger ump". 

your not alone...im 17 and @mjr_2013 is 18...

Which also makes me 1/18 better than you, right @BRUMP ? :P

hey matt :kissass:

• Like 1

You know why umpires don't wear the HSM in great numbers? It is because of other umpires. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with comfort, protection or anything that makes sense when it comes to choosing your mask. Associations with older umpires will almost never have a large number (if any at all) choosing to wear an HSM. Whether it be to fit in or to keep the established umpires from making fun of them, they just want to be like everyone else. That, and too many evaluators are ignorant and think that an HSM is something to be marked down as unprofessional appearance. 

You know why umpires don't wear the HSM in great numbers? It is because of other umpires. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with comfort, protection or anything that makes sense when it comes to choosing your mask. Associations with older umpires will almost never have a large number (if any at all) choosing to wear an HSM. Whether it be to fit in or to keep the established umpires from making fun of them, they just want to be like everyone else. That, and too many evaluators are ignorant and think that an HSM is something to be marked down as unprofessional appearance. 

Bought 5 last month for my young umpires, 18 year olds and they love them!

I bought them traditional TI masks last year and put Team Wendy pads on them BUT now all they wear are the TI Wilson Shock FX 2.0s.

Bought 5 last month for my young umpires, 18 year olds and they love them!

I bought them traditional TI masks last year and put Team Wendy pads on them BUT now all they wear are the TI Wilson Shock FX 2.0s.

you buy your umpires titanium masks and helmets? F#ck jersey im moving where you live!

• Like 1