Wow, nailed it. I'm not sure I'd have a chance of getting that right if it was me in real time.

Dear FEDUM:

Please never ask me to get that from C position.

Sincerely,

Umpires in states who have adopted you

Dear FEDUM:

Sincerely,

Out of curiosity, Maven, why would the BU ever be in "C" with only R1 working a 2-man crew?  I know in MI (HS and Fed, who play under NFHS rules code) they changed the positioning to "B" from "C" with R3 and R1, but, with only R1, "B" is where BU should be.

Dear FEDUM:

Sincerely,

Out of curiosity, Maven, why would the BU ever be in "C" with only R1 working a 2-man crew?  I know in MI (HS and Fed, who play under NFHS rules code) they changed the positioning to "B" from "C" with R3 and R1, but, with only R1, "B" is where BU should be.

+1

Agree!

Dear FEDUM:

Sincerely,

Actually, the new FEDUM has the BU in B with R1, R3 (p. 55). But you're right, with R1 only BU is certainly in B.

I just finished my tournament games, which were 3-umpire, and I had those mechanics in mind. As U3 with R1 only, I'd have to take this play from C. :(

Dear FEDUM:

Sincerely,

Actually, the new FEDUM has the BU in B with R1, R3 (p. 55). But you're right, with R1 only BU is certainly in B.

I just finished my tournament games, which were 3-umpire, and I had those mechanics in mind. As U3 with R1 only, I'd have to take this play from C. :(

Many mechanics allow you to be in deep B on this -- and it's what I would use, even though many umpires actually prefer C in that situation.

Many mechanics allow you to be in deep B on this -- and it's what I would use, even though many umpires actually prefer C in that situation.

Oh, absolutely, and for very good reason, as the clip here shows.

But not if you want to work above the district tournament level in my state. :)

That was really a great play and a great call!  It shows the best place to put the glove is in the dirt at the base.  Casilla knew that was his only chance for this out.

If only players understood to do this for the routine tag on a sliding runner.  No, instead many hold the tag up off the ground --- making our job much harder.