Flat-fronts, flat-fronts, where art thou flat-fronts?!

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3936 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As per the title, does _anyone_ make a pair of combo pants in charcoal with _flat fronts_?!

I got the Smitty charcoal combos, and tried them out... But I purposely left the tags on and didn't get them hemmed yet. I then ordered a set of Honig's charcoal pants, combo, in a 36 (I'm a 34)... And they're pleated, and yet again, they are crippled by that which befalls all pleated pants.

It's like a beacon.

Even when you get in a ready position. Embarrassing!

Has the entire attire community lost their mind and imposed pleats upon us? Or is there somewhere still making a flat-front in charcoal?

@JaxRolo - For starters, since when do Cubanos know anything about fashion? And matching my partner be d@mn3d... I'm lucky if my partner is even wearing pants during some of these weekend tournaments. I usually get the "kids" as a partner, and 2 weekends ago, I got the just-graduated high school senior who had grey track pants on and running shoes. I had a spare Grey umpire shirt, let him use my shin guards and Diamond iX3 mask and a spare hat I had, and threw a borrowed catcher's CP on him (under the shirt) to PU 2 of the 6 games we had assigned to us.

@flastyle727 - yeah, at Gerry Davis:

http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/category/Umpire_Pants/product/B08PT60521400

Notice the first paragraph, and I quote:

"Here's the product softball umpires tell us they need and they want. Heather gray umpire pants without pleats! They're also popular with baseball umpires who just don't like pleated pants."

Well, stick me in that group of baseball umpires. Pleats suck. I am awfully tempted to take GerryDavis up on their offer to tailor-make a set of flat-front charcoals.

I keep looking through the photos of MLB PU's in action, and not once have I seen a... Uhm... "embarrassing pants" situation. Not only do pleated pants bunch up funny when you get in a crouch, but they also advertise you've got a NB on. We're talking, like, ballet codpiece proportions. I mean, there's the possible allure to a SBM (single baseball mom), but I've got a pair of Dalco flat-front heather greys, and they don't have this happen to them! The MLB plate pants are probably custom-tailored, but still...

@JaxRolo Not only do pleated pants bunch up funny when you get in a crouch, but they also advertise you've got a NB on. We're talking, like, ballet codpiece proportions. I mean, there's the possible allure to a SBM (single baseball mom), but I've got a pair of Dalco flat-front heather greys, and they don't have this happen to them! The MLB plate pants are probably custom-tailored, but still...

Is it just me or is there too much self-crotch watching going on here? Elevate those eyes and find the hot moms instead. :-)

I'm in the flat front camp.  Gotta agree.  Pleats in general went out in 20th century!

Me, I had to get a size larger in the pleated pant because the pants that actually fit my waist caused the pleats to stretch and bellow out and they looked real bad.  Now I have pleats that look fine, but pants slide down every time I run--even with a tightened belt.  

Umpire shirts are kinda hip with all the colors, why not the pants?  

I'm not only a flat front guy, I also wear the western cut pockets (pockets on top instead of on the side, like jeans) I find them very slimming (I need it). Although I can only find them in Heather, no charcoal.

As for matching my partner, I'm with MadMax, I'm lucky that a lot of my partners are even wearing grey pants, and in decent condition. I'm usually one of more appropriately dressed umps in my association.

I'm surprised that MLB umps are still sporting the pleats as they have been out of fashion for quite some time now.

I'm not only a flat front guy, I also wear the western cut pockets (pockets on top instead of on the side, like jeans) I find them very slimming (I need it).

:shakehead:  :rollinglaugh:  :question1:  :agasp_:  :WTF  :crazy:  :TD:

• Like 1

I'm not only a flat front guy, I also wear the western cut pockets (pockets on top instead of on the side, like jeans) I find them very slimming (I need it).

:shakehead:  :rollinglaugh:  :question1:  :agasp_:  :WTF  :crazy:  :TD:

I find that exercising is starting to make me look slimming too, IJS!!

I'll never understand why anyone would wear anything other than what most of the umpires are wearing.  I'm not a huge fan of pleats, but I'm not going to be among the 2% of umpires wearing flat front pants, either.

• Like 1

Agreed with Rich.  And it goes along with the 100s of posts on "do I wear a silver mask with black pads or tan pads" etc.  No one gives a f***.  They care that you get the calls right and the rules right and not what color your mask pads are.

Reminds me of pregames Ive had where partner wanted to spend time discussing whether to wear Davis or Honigs pants and the width of the stripes on the shirt and then went out and stunk up the joint.  Sure, some basics need to be followed -- I wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt to umpire a HS or above game for example, but some (well most) of what goes on in this area is way overkill. 

jmo of course.  carry on.

• Like 3

Take your poly wools to a skilled tailor and for a round 60 bucks a pair they can remove the pleats.....

I already had about $30-$40 of tailoring done to each pair (tapered legs, raise crotch, take in waist).  It'd almost be cheaper to have the pants custom-made!  (Well, probably not, but $150 for a pair of umpiring pants only makes sense at the MLB level, I'd think.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not only a flat front guy, I also wear the western cut pockets (pockets on top instead of on the side, like jeans) I find them very slimming (I need it). Although I can only find them in Heather, no charcoal.

As for matching my partner, I'm with MadMax, I'm lucky that a lot of my partners are even wearing grey pants, and in decent condition. I'm usually one of more appropriately dressed umps in my association.

I'm surprised that MLB umps are still sporting the pleats as they have been out of fashion for quite some time now.

Who would have thought? Boombah has exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.boombah.com/All-Products/Mens-Umpire-Combo-Pant/

• Like 2

Saturday Disco Fever :beerbang:HD:

Saturday Disco Fever :beerbang:HD:

Thanks Blue32 !!........you guys laugh all you want, but I do get the thumbs up from the ladies!   :wave: