Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3946 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=27742941

In a season where the umpires are under more than enough scrutiny, we have Jordan Baker(A call up) being a Douche Bag!...Why, this isn't little league, its not High School, it's Major League Baseball. And he thinks its okay to do this?...I can't wait to hear someone, anyone try to defend this...There is no reason to have wads and wads of gum in the Outfield!

You aren't as cool as you think you are! :no:  :tantrum:  :shakehead:

• Like 1

Now we have 2 threads on the same topic. I guess I don't see the problem (well, maybe on turf...). But seriously, who cares?

Gum tossing makes you a d-bag? In the other thread, the poster claimed Baker makes us all look bad? Nope, don't see it at all.

Now we have 2 threads on the same topic. I guess I don't see the problem (well, maybe on turf...). But seriously, who cares?

Gum tossing makes you a d-bag? In the other thread, the poster claimed Baker makes us all look bad? Nope, don't see it at all.

Trying to get them merged now ....

Are you kidding?

Answer this maven ... why WOULD you do this?

Look, I've thrown gum on a field before.  At most two pieces over the course of a day.  And on fields that aren't expertly manicured where it's visible, like this.

This is not the kind of attention a AAA call-up wants, I wouldn't think.

Are you kidding?

Me? I throw my gum in the trash can. :)

But then, I'm allowed to leave the field between innings.

I just can't see getting bent out of shape about this. :shrug:

WGAS? when we start counting the number of sunflower seeds players spit out then ill take this thread seriously

TOTALLY DIFFERENT ......

You guys can be so two faced it's ridiculous ......

You always pride yourself on acting professional, looking professional, etc, etc, etc .....but throwing NUMEROUS wads of gum into the outfield is no big deal?  If I were a player and got gum all over my cleats, I'd be pissed!   And the grounds crew, .... come one guys, you can't say this is acceptable [but maybe you can] :shakehead:

• Like 3

WGAS? when we start counting the number of sunflower seeds players spit out then ill take this thread seriously

Wads of gum are a bit different than sunflower seeds.  Just my spin on it.

I get that but I think were making something out of nothing here... im sure players do the same thing

• Like 1

Are you kidding?

ML umpires routinely leave the field between innings.  It's a rare game where a ML umpire or two (other than the plate guy) doesn't go in to use the bathroom.  He could easily head over to the dugout to dispose of the gum.

Hell, watching them do it has changed me -- if I'm on the bases and  have to take a leak in the 3rd or 4th inning and there's a bathroom nearby, I do it.  Why be uncomfortable for an hour or more?

You guys honestly kill me...Its Not 1 piece, not 2, not 3...more like 6-7 pieces of gum....FOR WHAT? Becasue you think it makes you look cool? because you are trying to leave your "Mark" on the field?!?!? You want to leave your "Mark" make a call like Dan Iassogna in a World Series game!

If a player wants to spit gum all of the field then go for it...its "Their" field! An Umpire has 0 reason to be dropping "Gum-Turds" all over the F'n place!

• Like 1

Are you kidding?

Ok then! So your answer is no, you would'nt do this .....

No one is 'bent out of shape' ...but it is uncalled for and it does look bad, ....Trakes has a point!

If it's starting to create a problem, why continue doing it? 

Let's not forget that players and managers do this kind of thing all the time, but umpires aren't players or managers, are they?

You guys honestly kill me...Its Not 1 piece, not 2, not 3...more like 6-7 pieces of gum....FOR WHAT? Becasue you think it makes you look cool? because you are trying to leave your "Mark" on the field?!?!? You want to leave your "Mark" make a call like Dan Iassogna in a World Series game!

If a player wants to spit gum all of the field then go for it...its "Their" field! An Umpire has 0 reason to be dropping "Gum-Turds" all over the F'n place!

Trakes .... 6 or 7??? Look at the picture from the article in the first post??

gumump060513.jpg

It's rude and inappropriate and unprofessional, but it's not exactly a scandal or a travesty. It's deserving of a 'dude, knock it off' but since it's the Summer of Umpire Bashing, this is clearly front-page news.

• Like 1

TOTALLY DIFFERENT ......

You guys can be so two faced it's ridiculous ......

You always pride yourself on acting professional, looking professional, etc, etc, etc .....but throwing NUMEROUS wads of gum into the outfield is no big deal?  If I were a player and got gum all over my cleats, I'd be pissed!   And the grounds crew, .... come one guys, you can't say this is acceptable [but maybe you can] :shakehead:

Jeff is on the money here. What a poor example for all.