Putting Ball In Play

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3969 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

13U USSSA Game on Saturday

OT has bases loaded.

DT requests Time and is granted time and a visit with F1 and infield is made.

DT Coach returns to dugout.

We are ready to start again.

I get behind F2 and start to give the count again when F1 throws to 3B and a run down starts since he caught R3 off the bag.

I immediately have my arms in the air and am loudly saying "The Ball is not in Play".

DT Manager asks me why the ball is not in play?

Because you requested time, I granted Time, You made a visit to the mound and I have not said Play yet.

Response, "OH".

Between innings my BU partner came in to ask something as this was his first USSSA Tournament.

While we are talking a DT Coach comes over and asks "What is the difference of me putting the ball back in play after the time out and not after a foul that occurred shortly after?

Before I can respond my partner states, "He puts the ball back in play every single time".

Coach responds "well he made a mistake that time and didn't".

My response is "Coach we are done discussing this, if Art (the Manager) wants to talk about anything, we will talk to him and him only as covered at the plate meeting".

He continues on his way to the 1B coaching box.

Putting the ball back into play is one of my pet peeves and this is a good example of why you always do it.

I hate being the BU and have a PU who fails to do this.

• Like 11

Pet peeve of mine too.  I put it in play even in closed bases (9/10U) rec ball out of habit, but not verbally (I point it in at the pitcher after any dead ball situation).  Whenever I say "play" with the little kids the batter always turns around and looks at me.

Any level above that it is a verbal and mechanical action.  If I am BU and my PU partner is not putting the ball back in play we will discuss to ensure this happens.

• Like 4

It's a pet peeve of mine also.  I actually tracked myself earlier this year to see how many games I could go before forgetting.  I went 3 full games.  Missed one in one game after a foul and now started a new streak.  I also stopped a pickoff play this year because I hadn't put the ball in play. 

I have really worked on this this year very hard. I have missed a few, but caught each way immediately after, and I was good for rest of game. 

I haven't had a bad play, or embarrassment on it, but I never want to.

Pet peeve of mine too.  I put it in play even in closed bases (9/10U) rec ball out of habit, but not verbally (I point it in at the pitcher after any dead ball situation).  Whenever I say "play" with the little kids the batter always turns around and looks at me.

Any level above that it is a verbal and mechanical action.  If I am BU and my PU partner is not putting the ball back in play we will discuss to ensure this happens.

Along with this, I do it at the lower levels, to get the players used to hearing it before they move up to the big boy field.

I just had this over the weekend in a men's league game.  First time working with a partner who is new to our association.  He is PU, I have the bases.  Before the game we are talking and tells me that he has been umpiring for 20 or 21 years.  Give me a feeling of confidence (I am in my 6th).  

First the disclaimer - I do not consider myself an umpiring authority, however, I do have the benefit of having been trained by some very good, experienced mentors.  One POE has been - make sure you put the ball back in play after TO's or dead balls.

Pitchers were trying quick pick-off moves and had me jumping from the B and the C.  After foul balls and TO's PU is NOT putting the ball back in play.  After the 2nd, we chat and I mention that with all of the pick offs, make sure to put the ball back in play; I have been in that sh!tstorm and if I can avoid it with such a simple mechanic, I do it.  "OK, OK"

Nothing.  Just keeps going on like the conversation never happened.  I am out in the B or C and after a foul ball I am pointing at HIM, as a reminder - doesn't pick up on it.

Mid-5th.  Another conversation.  Positive acknowledgement. No change.  STILL POINTING at him.  Nuttin'.

Top 8th, R2, foul ball and runner is walking back to 2nd.  Pitcher gets a new ball, gets set right away and looks at the runner as he was still walking back for his "re-touch".  Uh-oh.  Here it comes.  Luckily, he did not try to pick the guy off.

Mid 8th - a third conversation using that foul ball play as an example.  "OK." Does he change?  Nope.  I was starting to get mad and planned on letting him know after the game.  Bottom of the 8th he takes a foul ball off the mask that knocks him flat on his back.  Didn't have the heart after that shot.

This was just one example.  There were other aspects of his game that I would not have expected from a 20 year guy (dusting the plate from the batter's box, stepping in front of the plate to announce the outs, missing an obvious offensive interference call (demerits to me for not stepping up on that one)).

How do you guys handle a stubborn partner?  

20 years experience?  More like 1 year of experience repeated 20 times.  How to handle a guy like this?  Block him in Arbiter.  You ain't gonna teach that old dog any new tricks.

• Like 4

I just had this over the weekend in a men's league game.  First time working with a partner who is new to our association.  He is PU, I have the bases.  Before the game we are talking and tells me that he has been umpiring for 20 or 21 years.  Give me a feeling of confidence (I am in my 6th).  

First the disclaimer - I do not consider myself an umpiring authority, however, I do have the benefit of having been trained by some very good, experienced mentors.  One POE has been - make sure you put the ball back in play after TO's or dead balls.

Pitchers were trying quick pick-off moves and had me jumping from the B and the C.  After foul balls and TO's PU is NOT putting the ball back in play.  After the 2nd, we chat and I mention that with all of the pick offs, make sure to put the ball back in play; I have been in that sh!tstorm and if I can avoid it with such a simple mechanic, I do it.  "OK, OK"

Nothing.  Just keeps going on like the conversation never happened.  I am out in the B or C and after a foul ball I am pointing at HIM, as a reminder - doesn't pick up on it.

Mid-5th.  Another conversation.  Positive acknowledgement. No change.  STILL POINTING at him.  Nuttin'.

Top 8th, R2, foul ball and runner is walking back to 2nd.  Pitcher gets a new ball, gets set right away and looks at the runner as he was still walking back for his "re-touch".  Uh-oh.  Here it comes.  Luckily, he did not try to pick the guy off.

Mid 8th - a third conversation using that foul ball play as an example.  "OK." Does he change?  Nope.  I was starting to get mad and planned on letting him know after the game.  Bottom of the 8th he takes a foul ball off the mask that knocks him flat on his back.  Didn't have the heart after that shot.

This was just one example.  There were other aspects of his game that I would not have expected from a 20 year guy (dusting the plate from the batter's box, stepping in front of the plate to announce the outs, missing an obvious offensive interference call (demerits to me for not stepping up on that one)).

I got blasted for this here but when my partner doesn't put it in play and they pick,I will turn and ask if he had put it in play. No, no pick .

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

I got blasted for this here but when my partner doesn't put it in play and they pick,I will turn and ask if he had put it in play. No, no pick .

you wont get blasted from me because that's exactly how Id handle it - put it back on the guy who caused the problem.  Now if someone usually does it and just forgets then be a good teammate and cover but if someone refuses to learn then use it as a teaching moment especially if its the kind of game that allows for it.

A pet peeve of mine as well. Not only the mechanic of doing it, but make sure all the criteria are met.

I cringe when working the bases and a partner puts the ball in play when the pitcher is clearly not on the rubber. Yes, some times it is hard to tell from the plate if he is on or directly behind, and that will happen, but to be clearly not irks me. 

Also it irks me when people's point and vocal are not in sync. -- When is it in play at the point or verbalization?

• Like 1

Along with this, I do it at the lower levels, to get the players used to hearing it before they move up to the big boy field.

Playoffs start on Monday.  I will verbalize with the point for the 10U's too and see how many kids turn around and make me start over again LOL.

Playoffs start on Monday.  I will verbalize with the point for the 10U's too and see how many kids turn around and make me start over again LOL.

Back when I was doing that level I found that if I started with a quiet "okay guys here we go" and then the louder "play" that they didn't turn around.  You could try that.

• Like 2

Back when I was doing that level I found that if I started with a quiet "okay guys here we go" and then the louder "play" that they didn't turn around.  You could try that.

Actually that is what I do for the 11/12U's and it works great.  Something like "(quiet) Everyone ready back here, let's go.....Play (with a point)"

you wont get blasted from me because that's exactly how Id handle it - put it back on the guy who caused the problem.  Now if someone usually does it and just forgets then be a good teammate and cover but if someone refuses to learn then use it as a teaching moment especially if its the kind of game that allows for it.

I am the trainer and they all know to do it so I don't feel a little bad if they don't do it. I agree, an occasional forget,I will roll with it.

Pet peeve of mine also.  I don't feel so isolated now!

I point and say "Play" after all fouls and time outs.  Even on closed bases.  Some batters will look.  After a while they stop looking.  I think it helps get them ready for when they move up.  And, it keeps me in the habit.

I also get irritated when partners don't put the ball in play, or do so when the pitcher is not on the rubber.

(Maybe I have UOCD --- Umpire OCD.   :mellow:  Not a bad thing, I suppose.)

• Like 1

A pet peeve of mine as well. Not only the mechanic of doing it, but make sure all the criteria are met.

I cringe when working the bases and a partner puts the ball in play when the pitcher is clearly not on the rubber. Yes, some times it is hard to tell from the plate if he is on or directly behind, and that will happen, but to be clearly not irks me. 

Also it irks me when people's point and vocal are not in sync. -- When is it in play at the point or verbalization?

On the point. They can see the point. Might not be able to hear "play". Point and voice same time.

I try to make sure I put the ball in play every time. Just last week, I had a Middle School game. Around the 3rd inning I've got R1. Next pitch..foul. I throw F1 a new ball. he walks around a bit and throws to 1B where he thinks he just picked off R1. Before the ball even got to 1st base, his F2 stands up and says "What are ya doing?? Foul ball! Blue hasn't but the ball back in play yet!"  :rock  :HD:

Some F2's just know how to get those close pitches.  :nod:

• Like 3

I do this at all levels.  I figure the pitcher can see my hand up for do not pitch, but the batter and catcher cannot.  That quiet "All set guys?" let's them know we are about to get going.

• Like 1

Do you enjoy beating your head against a wall ? You probably should have realized that your suggestion was falling on deaf ears. Just because someone has been umpiring for twenty years, doesn't mean they have been doing it well, or for that matter, properly. 

As to the emboldened section, after talking to him three times during the game, did you honestly think "letting him know after the game" was going to help ? I agree with the advice given you previously, scratch him as a partner, and move on to another.

Do you enjoy beating your head against a wall ? You probably should have realized that your suggestion was falling on deaf ears. Just because someone has been umpiring for twenty years, doesn't mean they have been doing it well, or for that matter, properly. 

As to the emboldened section, after talking to him three times during the game, did you honestly think "letting him know after the game" was going to help ? I agree with the advice given you previously, scratch him as a partner, and move on to another.

I understand the blocking him, etc. However, I know when I first started, I screwed up and instead of people blocking me, they took the time to educate me.  I guess the difference here was that I was more receptive to hearing these things.  Maybe he was not trained well.  Some of his mechanics and mannerism made me think that the majority of the 20 years were at the local little league level.  The kind of league where they are happy to get ANYONE to umpire.    

Part of me wants to call the assignor and ask him to pair me up with him again, with me on the plate and him out on the bases.  Again, not that I am the poster boy for our association, but I think he can pick up a few things if he pays attention.  At that point if the lessons don't sink in, then cut him loose.

Mid 8th - a third conversation using that foul ball play as an example. "OK." Does he change? Nope. I was starting to get mad and planned on letting him know after the game. Bottom of the 8th he takes a foul ball off the mask that knocks him flat on his back. Didn't have the heart after that shot.

I understand the blocking him, etc. However, I know when I first started, I screwed up and instead of people blocking me, they took the time to educate me. I guess the difference here was that I was more receptive to hearing these things. Maybe he was not trained well. Some of his mechanics and mannerism made me think that the majority of the 20 years were at the local little league level. The kind of league where they are happy to get ANYONE to umpire.

Part of me wants to call the assignor and ask him to pair me up with him again, with me on the plate and him out on the bases. Again, not that I am the poster boy for our association, but I think he can pick up a few things if he pays attention. At that point if the lessons don't sink in, then cut him loose.

Glutton for punishment. You can't fix 20+ years of bad umpiring, this dog won't learn...

Mid 8th - a third conversation using that foul ball play as an example. "OK." Does he change? Nope. I was starting to get mad and planned on letting him know after the game. Bottom of the 8th he takes a foul ball off the mask that knocks him flat on his back. Didn't have the heart after that shot.

I understand the blocking him, etc. However, I know when I first started, I screwed up and instead of people blocking me, they took the time to educate me. I guess the difference here was that I was more receptive to hearing these things. Maybe he was not trained well. Some of his mechanics and mannerism made me think that the majority of the 20 years were at the local little league level. The kind of league where they are happy to get ANYONE to umpire.

Part of me wants to call the assignor and ask him to pair me up with him again, with me on the plate and him out on the bases. Again, not that I am the poster boy for our association, but I think he can pick up a few things if he pays attention. At that point if the lessons don't sink in, then cut him loose.

Glutton for punishment. You can't fix 20+ years of bad umpiring, this dog won't learn...

Perhaps, but I can at least say I tried.

• Like 2