Team Wendy Pads Love Affair...

Mr Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3403 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I put TW pads on my Wilson mask a couple months back and finally took a proper mask shot today. I'd taken a similar shot towards the end of a game several months before that, that left my jaw and up into my cheek bones sore for the rest of the game and for a while afterwards. Today's shot rattled me for a few seconds, but then surprised me when I realized "Hey, I'm OK", and I just got on with the game. Five pitches later and I couldn't feel any residual from the shot.

I'm on the bandwagon!

The real trouble is is that no two shots to the noggin are the same. I took a foul ball to the mask last night, and there's no real way to tell if my TW absorbed it any better than other pads.

I do take into consideration the data that TW supplies, that states they "offer force impact reduction of more than 40 percent compared to the industry standard pads.", whatever the industry standard pads are.

The real trouble is is that no two shots to the noggin are the same. I took a foul ball to the mask last night, and there's no real way to tell if my TW absorbed it any better than other pads.

I do take into consideration the data that TW supplies, that states they "offer force impact reduction of more than 40 percent compared to the industry standard pads.", whatever the industry standard pads are.

Why the hot-selling ix3 Diamond mask (and pads) of course!   :wave:

the problem with listening to what the company tells us is: they don't always tell us the truth, shocking, I know. if I were to take the word of gerrry davis, I would be wearing the davishield, after all when it came out he had done some sort of test that said it was more protective than the platinum, well, we know that isn't true because someone here tested it and told me so, and I do apologize to that member because I don't remember who it was, he saved me whatever the cost of that cp was when it came out, plus shipping.  when any new piece of equipment comes out I wait for you, on this board, to educate me. I know that isn't really fair of me, but I prefer not to be the test dummy. if I was to retro fit my gold to team wendy padding it would because of the lower profile, not the protection. I purchased team wendy mask pads on the recommendation of the people on this site, both tan and black. I like them, but for me, I like the all star LUC pads better, personal choice, but I bought them because I had no worry that they were an inferior product. I would wear a retrofitted gold without hesitation, I don't feel I would be in danger of being injured, because the members here told me so. I am going to work a lot more softball this year, I know what most of you think of softball, but the is the amount of guys that wear the diamond masks with the original padding is shocking to me, I ask them don't you read anything about whats protecting your head and heart. as you can see I don't post a lot, but the equipment section is my favorite, it has saved me many a bump and bruise. I don't remember what started me on this but I want to thank Warren for the site and the members here for all your insight into what keeps me as safe as possible.

the problem with listening to what the company tells us is: they don't always tell us the truth, shocking, I know. if I were to take the word of gerrry davis, I would be wearing the davishield, after all when it came out he had done some sort of test that said it was more protective than the platinum, well, we know that isn't true because someone here tested it and told me so, and I do apologize to that member because I don't remember who it was, he saved me whatever the cost of that cp was when it came out, plus shipping.  

That was Kylejt...........

Yeah, I was the crash test dummy for the Davishield.

I took it out of the plastic, cinched it up, and had my son take aim, and thwack me with the baseball on the end of a golf shaft. That thing never made if out of the umpire changing room, as the rib shots were painful.  Too bad, as it was as comfortable as heck, and incorporated some great ideas.

I called the GD folks that next day, to see if I could send it back, because it couldn't protect me against baseballs flying at me. They said no, because I put it on once. Oh well. I sold it on eBay, with an honest review (said it was probably good for softball, which I think it is).

It is nice to know I saved a lot of other umpires expense and/or pain.

• Like 1

I have a "baby sized" Small WV Gold. It is in its 7th season. I L-O-V-E it! Nothing altered on it other than add a set of my jump wings to the chest plate but I have taken the TW mask pads plunge and ordered them from Honigs with my NCAA/CBUA $10 registration rebate certificate. If I like them as much as you guys I may consider upgrading the baby Gold to a TW pad retrofit next winter. Although I have no reason to at the moment.

Wonder if the GD DaviShield would we worth a TW retrofit? I know that TW doesn't work on them but I can't help but wonder what we would think if they did.

I have DaviShins and love them. I like the concept of the DaviShield and its form fitting flex-plate protection.

What do you guys who know DaviShield and TW retrofit think?

I have a "baby sized" Small WV Gold. It is in its 7th season. I L-O-V-E it! Nothing altered on it other than add a set of my jump wings to the chest plate but I have taken the TW mask pads plunge and ordered them from Honigs with my NCAA/CBUA $10 registration rebate certificate. If I like them as much as you guys I may consider upgrading the baby Gold to a TW pad retrofit next winter. Although I have no reason to at the moment.

Wonder if the GD DaviShield would we worth a TW retrofit? I know that TW doesn't work on them but I can't help but wonder what we would think if they did.

I have DaviShins and love them. I like the concept of the DaviShield and its form fitting flex-plate protection.

What do you guys who know DaviShield and TW retrofit think?

Dave, ...it's got to be a CP that has velco loops to attach the padding to the plates....

also, ...add your jump wings to the chest plate?

Jeff,

Thanks on the parameters of what TW wants/needs for a retrofit.  I was just supposing if the DaviShield would be worth a crap IF it had a TW retrofit.

As to your question about my CP.  Pic attached.

post-34-0-09041800-1394479071_thumb.jpg

Cheesy I know.  But it means something to me and it's my CP and unless I am wearing a plate coat it doesn't show.  Most people don't even know what it is.

Jeff,

Thanks on the parameters of what TW wants/needs for a retrofit.  I was just supposing if the DaviShield would be worth a crap IF it had a TW retrofit.

As to your question about my CP.  Pic attached.

attachicon.gifphoto-1.JPG

Cheesy I know.  But it means something to me and it's my CP and unless I am wearing a plate coat it doesn't show.  Most people don't even know what it is.

OHHHHHHHHHH ..............geeez ...................."jump wings" !! LOL .....I thought you were referring to the wings next to the main chest plate on the Gold :D

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Team Wendy's mask pads (black) arrived from Honig's in Tuesday's mail.  I installed them right away as I was scheduled to work an NAIA DH that afternoon.  Game 1 cancelled and my partner owed me a plate job since I worked plate last single game we worked together.  Plus it was cold and windy and the pads seemed extra hard from sitting in my mailbox and the rear of my cold SUV.

Fast forward to yesterday, Wednesday, another NAIA DH, in Iowa.  About 45 degrees, very strong and cold wind.  Gear sat in my SUV all night and all day.  I had game two plate.  Pads seemed very hard.  Partner said they were NOT supposed to be that hard.  I liked the way they felt.  Definitely warmer on my face and lighter than the full leather Wilson traditional pads (black calf leather) that they replaced.

My point:   I took a shot from a foul ball lower half of mask.  It HURT!, like getting punched in face.  I wear mask VERY loose, hangs off bill of my six-stitch cap.  Got hit twice over weekend and just knocked the mask off.  This shot drove back into my face on the chin and was like I was punched.  Felt that a couple of times in my first season of umpiring when I wore mask much tighter than I do now.

I am going to wash them tonight and see if warm house helps them soften up along with some kneading by me.  Another NAIA DH tomorrow and I have plate for the single on Saturday so IF I get hit again and IF it hurts again, these will be for sale.  As of right now I am NOT a TW mask pads fan.

• Like 1

Hmm..I had a D3 game Tuesday, 34 degrees at game time, pads had been in the car. The TWs were rock hard and I was concerned.

Took two inside fouls square with no ill affects. No after-shot headache that I used to get.

Hope your results get better!

Okay. Team Wendy's mask pads (black) arrived from Honig's in Tuesday's mail.  I installed them right away as I was scheduled to work an NAIA DH that afternoon.  Game 1 cancelled and my partner owed me a plate job since I worked plate last single game we worked together.  Plus it was cold and windy and the pads seemed extra hard from sitting in my mailbox and the rear of my cold SUV.

Fast forward to yesterday, Wednesday, another NAIA DH, in Iowa.  About 45 degrees, very strong and cold wind.  Gear sat in my SUV all night and all day.  I had game two plate.  Pads seemed very hard.  Partner said they were NOT supposed to be that hard.  I liked the way they felt.  Definitely warmer on my face and lighter than the full leather Wilson traditional pads (black calf leather) that they replaced.

My point:   I took a shot from a foul ball lower half of mask.  It HURT!, like getting punched in face.  I wear mask VERY loose, hangs off bill of my six-stitch cap.  Got hit twice over weekend and just knocked the mask off.  This shot drove back into my face on the chin and was like I was punched.  Felt that a couple of times in my first season of umpiring when I wore mask much tighter than I do now.

I am going to wash them tonight and see if warm house helps them soften up along with some kneading by me.  Another NAIA DH tomorrow and I have plate for the single on Saturday so IF I get hit again and IF it hurts again, these will be for sale.  As of right now I am NOT a TW mask pads fan.

First off, Dave, you should be able to dodge those foul balls. Secondly, the TW pads are way too stiff in my opinion. I had them on my mask for two seasons and would have sore jaws each time I was hit in the mask. I got a different mask and sold the TW pads along with my old mask. I never had that pain with the stock Wilson leather pads. When the Force 3 Unequal mask comes out I will be getting that  and will let all know how this works.

• Like 1

I will buy if you sell them. Mine in another mask are not 'rock hard' and I have had a couple of shots, felt nothing. Inbox me if you decide to sell. I like 'em.

OK Mr. Ump.  I will try them today and tomorrow.  Shouldn't sweat them up as the temps today in the 40s here in KC and maybe reach 60s tomorrow but I am on a hilltop that is always very windy and facing the north where the wind seems to always come from this time of year.  I will keep you posted.  I did not wash them but just worked them with my hands a bit and kept them in the house instead of in my bag out in the garage overnight.

We shall see.  Jury is still out for me with Team Wendy's.

I will let you know Sunday or Monday what I think.

Yep....get them to room temp and you should be ok.....I am in Illinois and have mine in the car but when I go to use them, no problem.....I can wash yours and they will be like new.....

@ UmpStu.  I am good at dodging out on the field.  I dodged one in B and one in C this past Tuesday and my partner said I looked like NEO from the Matrix out there.  Plate dodging?  Not so much.  I wear my share I guess.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the TW pads.  Nice to know I am not the only one.

Maybe one day I will jump on the Delta-Flex bandwagon too but I do not see myself paying close to $30 for a CP strap.  I don't have any issues with my stock WV Gold strap adjusted and tightened then locked down with black electrical tape to stop sliding.

Thanks again.

@ UmpStu.  I am good at dodging out on the field.  I dodged one in B and one in C this past Tuesday and my partner said I looked like NEO from the Matrix out there.  Plate dodging?  Not so much.  I wear my share I guess.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the TW pads.  Nice to know I am not the only one.

Maybe one day I will jump on the Delta-Flex bandwagon too but I do not see myself paying close to $30 for a CP strap.  I don't have any issues with my stock WV Gold strap adjusted and tightened then locked down with black electrical tape to stop sliding.

Thanks again.

you will wonder how you lived without it, .........trust me :wave:

• Like 1

I have the Team Wendy's on both my Diamond masks. I am totally impressed with the protection they provide.

Having said that, I would not leave them outside in the cold weather and expect to have them soft and comfortable. I always bring my masks inside during the cold, seeming never ending in the Northeast, weather.

@Majordave - even in warmer weather the TW's are still pretty firm pads in comparison to other types/brands.  My experience is that washing does not soften them up, they soften a bit as the temperature rises but not dramatically so.

I have a set of the original TW's (with the sewn label, probably 3 or 4 seasons old) and a newer set purchased last year and the newer ones were noticeably firmer, so they do soften a bit with use and/or time, at least that's my conclusion.

I got a new mask this season and put All Star LUC pads in it - they feel like soft pillows compared to the TW's.  Wearing that mask for the first time tonight if it doesn't rain enough to cancel my game.

I still like the TW's but I have backed off of my previous statements that I will not wear a mask without them.

• Like 1

Thanks again.

you will wonder how you lived without it, .........trust me :wave:

Majordave, listen to thunderheads. He speaks of wisdom and experience. And I don't know of anyone who has anything but positive things to say about the delta flex. You might be able to dodge foul balls if wearing this.