CentralOhioUmp30

"I don't know"

Couple weeks ago I had a game with a guy fresh out of our association's beginner's class.  I was asked to work a MS game to help him and answer any questions he may have.  I accepted the assignment because I like the assignor and even at the old age of 23, I'm always willing to help out a fellow umpire.

Turned out that the assignment was on a day I had physical therapy for my plantar faciitis, but I knew ahead of time from the assignor that this guy was going to work the plate.  I let him know that I would get there about 15 minutes before game time and that I would be dressed so that I could answer any questions he had before we walked up to the field.  I get there and this guy is wearing his equipment on the outside of his clothes, so I said to myself, "Oh ######, what have I gotten myself into?"

Game went pretty much as you'd expect.  Few pitches in the dirt were called strikes, he called an infield fly with one runner on and during the top of 5, R1 on 2nd, B2 hits a single and the coach sends R1 home.  Close play at home and I swear to God, the PU says, "I don't know".  This is just a middle school game, but the SH*#show ensued shortly after.  Both coaches come racing out of the dugout trying to figure what's going on.  PU starts talking to the coaches, but evidently they're not impressed.  By the time I get to home plate to get between my partner and these coaches, I hear (very loudly)"you're a  :censored:  moron by the VTC and "is he  :censored: out? by the HTC"  Naturally, my right arm gets a bit of a workout because I know PU won't eject.  VTC pulls his players off the field and tells them to get on the bus.

I tell my partner to hurry up and move it.  I suggest he gets in his car and drives for a bit before taking off his equipment. I tell him good bye (which is coincidently what the assignor told him as far as his umpiring status is concerned.  Apparently, he has accumulated quite a ###### list in less than a half seasons work) and I get my ass out of there as well.

What a day.

If he was that bad I may not have gotten between the coaches and him.

I may have stayed out and enjoyed the show. :fuel:

There may be some deeper problems in your association if this is the type of talent they are getting coming in and have attended  the associations training.

• Like 3

I might bookmark this thread and come back to read it every time I think I had a poor partner. 

• Like 5

I was looking for an old post of mine but couldn't find it. I had an experience where I was asked to work a game and meet a partner there, I was in full uniform and my partner was wearing his shin guards over his legs, in shorts, his chest protector over his wife beater and his red hat on backwards. I was like, Holy God in heaven, who hates me.

Anyway, he was a great umpire, just never had a mentor. He did all the right things behind the plate, signaled me on timing plays and echoed my Infield fly and out reminders.

So I talked him into joining my group. I bought him a shirt and hat, and first year let him wear long grey sweat pants, with shin guard under. End of that year he "won" a gift certificate to a Umpire clothing provider. (He bought pants) Now he is in 3rd year and looks great and is one of my best umpires. He also just graduated from St. Joes University with a 3.8 GPA.

Find em, fix em, reward em. They are hard to come by!!

• Like 10

There may be some deeper problems in your association if this is the type of talent they are getting coming in and have attended  the associations training.

Honestly, the training is very well run and I worked with several very good first year umpires this season.  Apparently the guy I worked with is infamous for doing the same exact thing during the training.  He passed the test so he was officially certified, but the guy who assigned him games had no idea who he was; he only knew his name and that he was brand new.  He probably got to work 10 games this year and then a couple days ago I heard to was done umpiring because he was not being assigned any more games because of all the complaints.

Very nice guy.  Just has no business being out there.

Honestly, the training is very well run and I worked with several very good first year umpires this season.  Apparently the guy I worked with is infamous for doing the same exact thing during the training.  He passed the test so he was officially certified, but the guy who assigned him games had no idea who he was; he only knew his name and that he was brand new.  He probably got to work 10 games this year and then a couple days ago I heard to was done umpiring because he was not being assigned any more games because of all the complaints.

Very nice guy.  Just has no business being out there.

Some guys want to get out there and ride that horse like Clint Eastwood...they can't do it...they're not Clint Eastwood.

- Joe West

• Like 2

I was looking for an old post of mine but couldn't find it. I had an experience where I was asked to work a game and meet a partner there, I was in full uniform and my partner was wearing his shin guards over his legs, in shorts, his chest protector over his wife beater and his red hat on backwards. I was like, Holy God in heaven, who hates me.

Anyway, he was a great umpire, just never had a mentor. He did all the right things behind the plate, signaled me on timing plays and echoed my Infield fly and out reminders.

So I talked him into joining my group. I bought him a shirt and hat, and first year let him wear long grey sweat pants, with shin guard under.

End of that year he "won" a gift certificate to a Umpire clothing provider. (He bought pants) Now he is in 3rd year and looks great and is one of my best umpires. He also just graduated from St. Joes University with a 3.8 GPA.

Find em, fix em, reward em. They are hard to come by!!

"End of that year he "won" a gift certificate to a Umpire clothing provider.

UDAMAN!

I had a young guy show up to do a game with his high school patched uniform, so he is certified high school.  In between innings he asks me "so what runners have to be on base for an infield fly".  I was a little shocked but I told him.  Then a few innings later between innings he points to the area in front of home plate between the chalk lines of the batters box and asks if it's a foul ball if the ball comes to rest there.  I say no that even the plate is fair territory.  He replies that he always called area in front of home plate foul.

"I don't know"

Isn't he on third base???

Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I see!   The PU was referring to an OBS caused by F5, and was saying the run scores!

So this guy went to a class/clinic and this is how he shows up and performs?  I want to know who is teaching the class!

Don't blame the instructors!

I, like many of us, have run several clinics - for me, at the local league level - and of course attended more.

I see guys I've trained, and guys I've trained with doing things that would have gotten them a quick kick in a$$ during a clinic - Once they're out the door, they're on their own!

Close play at home and I swear to God, the PU says, "I don't know".  

I have a LL championship game tonight and I haven't ejected anybody all season...I am so pulling that if there are any close plays! ;)

• Like 1

I have a LL championship game tonight and I haven't ejected anybody all season...I am so pulling that if there are any close plays! ;)

Turn to crowd and ask for a coin. :)

You may laugh but this happened in a slo-pitch game I was playing in. For whatever reason the umpire never showed up so one of the guys prevailed on his girlfriend to umpire, good thing she was HOT and she was dressed in a very tight bright red, low cut dress. She did play in the local ladies league so she new a little about the game. Anyway there was a whacker at home and she stood there for a second then placed both hands on her chest and said "OH MY". As can be imagined there was a big brouhaha at the plate. They did not involve her but it was just the players and coaches arguing amongst themselves. In the end they decided to flip a coin and settle it that way. She continued to ump the game because no one really wanted to see her leave. BTW the eventual call was out.

Tony

You may laugh but this happened in a slo-pitch game I was playing in. For whatever reason the umpire never showed up so one of the guys prevailed on his girlfriend to umpire, good thing she was HOT and she was dressed in a very tight bright red, low cut dress. She did play in the local ladies league so she new a little about the game. Anyway there was a whacker at home and she stood there for a second then placed both hands on her chest and said "OH MY". As can be imagined there was a big brouhaha at the plate. They did not involve her but it was just the players and coaches arguing amongst themselves. In the end they decided to flip a coin and settle it that way. She continued to ump the game because no one really wanted to see her leave. BTW the eventual call was out.

Tony

No pics?  Then it didn't happen...lol

But seriously, pics?

• Like 1