The Appeal Process

Guest Dan
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3993 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

With bases loaded and two outs, a batter hits a single.  The runners advance and the runner on third base scores an apparent run.   The defensive coach calls time out and takes the ball from his pitcher to replace him with a new pitcher.   After the new pitcher warms up, the umpire calls to resume play.   The new pitcher appeals that the runner from third base never touched home and throws the ball to the catcher.   The umpire rules that runner was out and the half inning ends.

I believe the rule states that an appeal has to happen before the next play but it's unusual for a manager to handle the ball and a player to leave the field.   Is an appeal after the manager takes the ball, changes pitchers and has the pitcher warm up still valid?

13 answers to this question

Guest Guest

With bases loaded and two outs, a batter hits a single.  The runners advance and the runner on third base scores an apparent run.   The defensive coach calls time out and takes the ball from his pitcher to replace him with a new pitcher.   After the new pitcher warms up, the umpire calls to resume play.   The new pitcher appeals that the runner from third base never touched home and throws the ball to the catcher.   The umpire rules that runner was out and the half inning ends.

I believe the rule states that an appeal has to happen before the next play but it's unusual for a manager to handle the ball and a player to leave the field.   Is an appeal after the manager takes the ball, changes pitchers and has the pitcher warm up still valid?

This happened in a Cal Ripken 12U game and as the scenario was not contemplated in their rules, as per their rules, it reverts to MLB rules.  

The interesting aspects of this situation to me are the fact that the "pitcher of record" actually left the field and the manager touched the baseball.   

This happened in a Cal Ripken 12U game and as the scenario was not contemplated in their rules, as per their rules, it reverts to MLB rules.  

The interesting aspects of this situation to me are the fact that the "pitcher of record" actually left the field and the manager touched the baseball.   

One more time - it doesn't matter. The only requirements are that the ball be live and that it be before the next pitch or play.

No play happened - so the appeal appears to be valid.

Appeals can be made in live-ball and dead-ball situations.

Out of curiosity, what level/ruleset is the game in question being played under?

Dead ball appeals can only be done in FED.

Think about the pine tar game. It was restarted with am appeal with a different pitcher and different umpiring staff.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

SOMEONE is showing their age............. 

Didn't have to learn about this one - watched it on TV.  (I'm 68)

No play happened - so the appeal appears to be valid.

Appeals can be made in live-ball and dead-ball situations.

Out of curiosity, what level/ruleset is the game in question being played under?

Dead ball appeals can only be done in FED.

Oops - my bad.  Thanks for the clarification Rich.

Think about the pine tar game. It was restarted with am appeal with a different pitcher and different umpiring staff.

SOMEONE is showing their age............. 

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. :)

Also note that some OBR based rule books allow for dead ball appeals.  USSSA is one of them.  As Rich alluded to though, check your specific rule set to see if they allow both.

From OBR 7.10:

Any appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play. If the violation occurs during a play which ends a half-inning, the appeal must be made before the defensive team leaves the field.

IOW, it doesn't matter if they change quarter backs, but once they hike it, no more challenge flag.

As for the skipper touching the (dead) ball, (boy do I hate to say this) haven't you seen how the guys on TV do it? The manager's job is to wait until the very last second and call time, then walk to the mound with two fingers up. When he gets there, he takes the ball (in his hand) and tells the departing pitcher he appreciates the effort with a slap on the tush.

Also note that some OBR based rule books allow for dead ball appeals.  USSSA is one of them.  As Rich alluded to though, check your specific rule set to see if they allow both.

Really? What section of USSSA allows for dead ball appeals.  I cannot find it in the 2013 National book.