These 5 Study Guide questions were missed by more than 20% of HS Umpires

sdix00

2.  "rises several feet" is not necessarily the same as "an appreciable height" which is the definition of a fly ball.  But it's also not necessarily a line drive either.

The "rule of thumb" we typically use is the ball should reach the height of the highest fence height around the infield to qualify as an infield fly.  So at most of my diamonds that's about 20 ft., maybe more

So an identically hit ball could be a IF at one park but not at another just because the fences are different heights?  I think that should be rethought.

Most of the diamonds in my association have the same configuration in terms of the fencing, except for a couple of very old ones, where this rule of thumb would obviously not be used. Its a very general guideline that kind of works for us especially in training younger umps, when they ask "how high of a fly ball does it have to be", etc..

I'm watching the ball initially and then the fielder(s) on a fly ball when I have that responsibility, not looking sideways at the fences to measure...

Seems like any umpire should know when a ball has reached an "appreciable height" to be called an IF.

Of course experienced umps know what an "appreciable height" is just based on experience, but you can see the fence height from your periphery when you're looking up at the fly ball, you wouldn't actually take your eyes off the ball or runners, to look sideways at the fence.  Anyway, its just a guideline, and seems to work for us.

• 11 months later...

2.  "rises several feet" is not necessarily the same as "an appreciable height" which is the definition of a fly ball.  But it's also not necessarily a line drive either.

The "rule of thumb" we typically use is the ball should reach the height of the highest fence height around the infield to qualify as an infield fly.  So at most of my diamonds that's about 20 ft., maybe more

Seriously???  This is not a good way to umpire.

110. False. (Time!) JM
Sadly, I think this is true in FED. I will read the rest of the thread now. (I don't use that mechanic)
it used to be true. They added it to the test when they changed it in the book in 2013. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk