jim knight

Play of the Week 1/21

Play to discuss... HS Fast Pitch / runner on 3rd, ball four to Batter / ball in pitchers posession, in pitching circle / batter runner continues to second / FI turns to watch but makes no play on batter runner / runner at third breaks for the plate... Legal or illegal?

Edited by LMSANS
Just wanted to copy the play.

This week's play comes from Jim Knight.

:WTF

I'm going to expose my ignorance here (or get lucky):

I'm going to say that the BR breaking for 2B is legal. But R3 breaking for home illegal. It's a timing thing...R3 must "immediately" go back to her base or attempt to advance when F1 has the ball inside the circle. If she waits for the pitcher to turn and watch BR advancing, that's not immediate.

Same logic for BR, if she immediately goes to 2B she is OK.

Now I have to remember to check my book when I get home. I'm sure there's a case on this.

The continuous action of the runner going to 2nd is legal. With the ball in the circle and pitcher not making a play wouldn't the runner on third be out for leaving her base while the ball is in the circle?

Allan

This week's play comes from Jim Knight.

:WTF

I'm going to expose my ignorance here (or get lucky):

I'm going to say that the BR breaking for 2B is legal. But R3 breaking for home illegal. It's a timing thing...R3 must "immediately" go back to her base or attempt to advance when F1 has the ball inside the circle. If she waits for the pitcher to turn and watch BR advancing, that's not immediate.

Same logic for BR, if she immediately goes to 2B she is OK.

Now I have to remember to check my book when I get home. I'm sure there's a case on this.

The runner on third is not bound by the lookback rule until the batter-runner reaches first base. At that time, the batter-runner has a decision to hold or keep moving. R3 has to make a decision immediately after the batter-runner reaches first. Depending on the timing of the play, R3 could be out using the lookback rule.

As long as there is an opportunity for a play on a runner not on a base the lookback rule is not binding any runners... runner on third is okay to leave her base...

As long as there is an opportunity for a play on a runner not on a base the lookback rule is not binding any runners... runner on third is okay to leave her base...

Rule 8.7.1 says "The look-back rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession of the ball within the the pitcher's circle.

8.7.2 "the runner(s) may stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

There is an exception, that the runner will not be declared out if a play is made on another runner (a fake throw is considered a play)...In the OP, the pitcher made no play so the look-back rule applies.