A question related to all of this - if you pre-game it properly, could this be covered under the BU going out on a trouble ball and the PU picking up the B/R?  I know it's a no-brainer for trouble balls down the line in "A", but is there any reason the BU can't read this as a trouble ball and go out on it?  Now if BU comes in and takes a pivot, no way the PU should go to him for help nor should he offer any.

I know this doesn't apply to every situation (and I can't see the OP which is on the first page), so if I am off-base feel free to let me know...

In the OP the ball was hit to left field -- that's not one where BU goes out even if its trouble.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm curious about the view some umpires take of "primary responsibility." When BU is in A and the ball is hit to LF, PU has primary responsibility for catch/no catch. That does not mean sole responsib

I'm reminded of a story Jim Evans tells where he took some friends to a game he was working.  After the game he met up with them and they exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch!?" a

Richvee,   No.   JM

A question related to all of this - if you pre-game it properly, could this be covered under the BU going out on a trouble ball and the PU picking up the B/R?  I know it's a no-brainer for trouble balls down the line in "A", but is there any reason the BU can't read this as a trouble ball and go out on it?  Now if BU comes in and takes a pivot, no way the PU should go to him for help nor should he offer any.

I know this doesn't apply to every situation (and I can't see the OP which is on the first page), so if I am off-base feel free to let me know...

In the OP the ball was hit to left field -- that's not one where BU goes out even if its trouble.

Yeah, I saw that when I went back and read the OP (after I posted)

Absolutely agree with you on this and if I were the BU and saw something different I wouldn't volunteer anything but would certainly give my PU some non verbal signals that I had something for him.

I'm very cautious about these. Generally speaking, there are no secrets: good coaches pick up everything we do. In my experience, unusual signals cause more problems with coaches than they solve, and I cannot recommend them.

Other than looking at PU and moving toward him a bit, I would not otherwise signal him. It's his call, and he will need to decide whether to get help and then what to do with it once he gets it.

My non verbal would be a stare at my partner, nothing overt.  Typically discussed at pre-game, as in If I am looking dead at you its not because I find you attractive  :wave: But point well taken.

• Like 1

My non verbal would be a stare at my partner, nothing overt.  Typically discussed at pre-game, as in If I am looking dead at you its not because I find you attractive  :wave: But point well taken.

I can live with that one. Kinda scares me to have somebody staring daggers at me, but I can live with it. :)

I hear ya. But if its me behind the plate, and something strange happens in LF and, for whatever reason I need or want to talk to my partner, I would sure hope he could tell me something other than if the BR touched first.

The ball is the most important thing. If it looks like something screwey is gonna happen with that ball, I want ALL crew members eyes on it.

I'm reminded of a story Jim Evans tells where he took some friends to a game he was working.  After the game he met up with them and they exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch!?" and Jim replies "No, did you see the runner touch the base?"

Now I dont know who Charlie Brown really is, but I think I'll take Evans advice here.

And to be clear I've been in a situation where I could have used some help from BU but he was doing what he was supposed to be doing and thats how I explained it and life goes on.  I would hope he would do the same if the situation were to happen again.

• Like 2

I have told this story before but for another reason. I was working a men's game, ball hit twenty feet inside the foul line. I had the outfielder catching the ball, dropping it but getting it at waist level. The manager had it bouncing off the fence, I did not. The manager wanted me to go to my partner and I told him he was watching first and had nothing for me. I refused to go to him because I knew if he was doing his job he had nothing for me. Even he had been looking the play was away from the BU so he had no look. I ended up dumping the runner and should have dumped the manager. After the game my partner asked why I didn't come to him. I explained he shouldn't have anything for me if he was doing his job. He said he did have a look, which I doubt, and I should have come to him just to appease the manager. I told him he had no business looking until the runner touched and no way in hell was I coming to him to make the manager happy. 

I have told this story before but for another reason. I was working a men's game, ball hit twenty feet inside the foul line. I had the outfielder catching the ball, dropping it but getting it at waist level. The manager had it bouncing off the fence, I did not. The manager wanted me to go to my partner and I told him he was watching first and had nothing for me. I refused to go to him because I knew if he was doing his job he had nothing for me. Even he had been looking the play was away from the BU so he had no look. I ended up dumping the runner and should have dumped the manager. After the game my partner asked why I didn't come to him. I explained he shouldn't have anything for me if he was doing his job. He said he did have a look, which I doubt, and I should have come to him just to appease the manager. I told him he had no business looking until the runner touched and no way in hell was I coming to him to make the manager happy. 

Just like a pulled foot when in A.  Unless something really crazy happens, you own the call. Period.

I hear ya. But if its me behind the plate, and something strange happens in LF and, for whatever reason I need or want to talk to my partner, I would sure hope he could tell me something other than if the BR touched first.

The ball is the most important thing. If it looks like something screwey is gonna happen with that ball, I want ALL crew members eyes on it.

Sometimes you just have to umpire, that means you have the call all the way. 

If I was BU, I would have the runner all the way into and through 1st until I heard my partners call, and wouldnt even see it to offer help.  Avoids anyone noticing and stating "ask the other ump he was watching".  Also, god forbid the runner misses 1st base, obstruction etc.... and you were lookin the other way.