CCA 3 Man Mechanics

ukce1861
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3998 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey Umpire-Empire, long time no talk...  Had twins last August and it's been a whirlwind since then, so I haven't really been around. 

I'm hoping some of you fine gentlemen can help me out.  I've got playoff games tomorrow and Thursday and we're doing three-man CCA mechanics.  We were supposed to get a handout with those, but haven't.  Looking online, I can't find anything definitive of what that is.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Diagrams would be great, but written is fine too.

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I think about it...

What you could do is reach out to an NCAA umpire in your area and see if he'll let you have one of his old manuals from a previous year.  He gets a new one every year so the old ones are pretty much garbage.

If you work three man every now and then, an old manual will do just fine.  

Good luck.

I still think putting the least experienced 3-man umpire on the plate is the best idea.  There are only a few rotations in 3-man CCA mechanics now so it shouldn't be incredibly difficult.  

With that said, throwing umpires into a 3-umpire crew when they have little experience is a disaster waiting to happen.  I've seen it firsthand and it can go badly.  They would be better off just using two guys or going to 4-man and telling everyone to stay at their base.  

I still think putting the least experienced 3-man umpire on the plate is the best idea.  There are only a few rotations in 3-man CCA mechanics now so it shouldn't be incredibly difficult.  

With that said, throwing umpires into a 3-umpire crew when they have little experience is a disaster waiting to happen.  I've seen it firsthand and it can go badly.  They would be better off just using two guys or going to 4-man and telling everyone to stay at their base.  

Yes to your first part.

On the second, I prefer Lance's 17 man mechanics.  You could just assume that U4 - U17 all then went down. ;)

Put your least experienced umpire at third.

Disagree with that entirely.

On the OP I think it depends on whether you've worked any 3 man at all and just need to know the CCA differences or if this is your first time to 3-man.

Maybe I should've written that better...your least experienced "Three Man Mechanic" umpire at third base.  

There are several things that can go bad in three man.  Typically 1bu will forget to slide w/ B/R or PU forgets to rotate up to third. 

But if you're going to work three man, all umpires need to keep their heads on swivels  

On the second, I prefer Lance's 17 man mechanics.  You could just assume that U4 - U17 all then went down. ;)

Hm, last I saw Lance's manual, it was 13-umpire, not 17. He had one at each base plus one for each fielder. No rotations. ;)

And yes, that means 2 guys at the plate. :D

Hm, last I saw Lance's manual, it was 13-umpire, not 17. He had one at each base plus one for each fielder. No rotations. ;)

Well with all those guys working 1 man in the other threads it frees up 4 additional umpires for Lances advanced mechanics for the 21.2nd century.  Gotta keep up with the times.

Is there a link for Lance's material?

Could not find the actual 2013 rules, just 2013 changes, but the old 2011-2012 rules and the 2012 changes and 2013 changes should get you close.

http://cbuao.com/uploads/files/pdf/rules/2011-2012_ncaa_baseball_rules.pdf

http://cbuao.com/uploads/files/pdf/rules/2012rcandpofe.pdf

http://cbuao.com/uploads/files/pdf/2013/2013_ncaa_baseball_rules_changes.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the folks who say start the least experienced guy at the plate IF it is a series.  If you only have one game your best guy goes behind the plate.

The one issue I have is they want the 1st base umpire at B with a runner on 2nd.  Should say EXCEPT when 2 outs correct?  With runner on 2B and 2 outs we move the first base guy back to A and bring third base ump to C.

The one issue I have is they want the 1st base umpire at B with a runner on 2nd.  Should say EXCEPT when 2 outs correct?  With runner on 2B and 2 outs we move the first base guy back to A and bring third base ump to C.

Some do this including now CCA (with a change about 3 years ago?).  Before that CCA didn't move based on the number of outs.  I prefer that way but work what I'm told.