What to do about league?

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3994 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have been umpiring in this little league for three years now. I like the league, and I like umpiring for the league.

They've had a serious problem with Umpire in Chief's though. The first year had the best, then bad, this year is BY FAR the worst and the season has yet to begin... He is not even an umpire. He is a coach from last year who (coincidentally) didn't like me.

At the umpires meeting, I don't mean to have an ego, but it was extremely obvious that I was the only one who knew S*** about umpiring other than the umpire instructor they borrowed from a neighboring league. Everyone else was giving a blank stare as he gave the very basics.

What happens when we get the first weeks schedule? This dude has me scheduled solo for a majors game Opening Day and in the field for an intermediate (the highest level) the next saturday. Now, this in it of itself isn't a problem...

The problem is that the intermediate game on Opening Day is scheduled for two guys who, to my knowledge, have never umpired a game in their life. And my partner (who has the plate) for that second game is probably the worst umpire I've ever worked with. Here's a sample: he umpires on a regular basis with white skinny jeans on.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to be an a-hole to this new guy, but at the same time, I feel completely insulted right now... I've already semi-accepted the position of UIC for next year (I would have taken it this year if offered) if I stay in town for college to the president of the league, but one year may be too long to wait.

Thoughts?

You could do what I did, quit and go to pro school. lol

Then you can start telling us about all the ways they handle plays and situations when they come up. Does not mean everyone has to agree with the way things are taught at the school. It would be neat to get their perspective of positioning and handling situations, and their reasoning ("why") they believe certain positions are best, and why certain situations should be handled the way they are, and not just "do it because that's how we do it" that every organization (maybe even the schools) do. The whys of the way they do things could be interesting between the old schools of thought, versus the new schools of thought for those currently going and those who went in the past, from "studies" that show some new ways that are better than old ways and why.

How has the school helped upon your return?, or did you do well enough to get a job, in which case we will probably not (should not) hear from you once you start your quest. Good luck either way.

Nothing wrong with going to school, even if you have no intention of trying to get a job. 

As to the OP, if you decide to work the league, try to constructively talk to the current umpires and try to improve them this year. Don't be condescending in your dealings with the umpires, you will need them next year. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a Little League or other kiddie league where the inmates run the asylum.  Great place to start, but I suggest you continue to work upward and leave the kiddie ball behind.   When they get their act together and decide that they need good umpires, they will find you.    Until then, the reality is that Daddy coaches loooooves the smittys.    

If your partner says that the hands are part of the bat and everyone in both dugouts nods, then you either gotta

1. set up a schoolhouse and teach them kids to read,

2. nod your head and collect a check, or

3. Get outta town before you get shot.

• Like 3

The problem is that the intermediate game on Opening Day is scheduled for two guys who, to my knowledge, have never umpired a game in their life. And my partner (who has the plate) for that second game is probably the worst umpire I've ever worked with. Here's a sample: he umpires on a regular basis with white skinny jeans on.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to be an a-hole to this new guy, but at the same time, I feel completely insulted right now... I've already semi-accepted the position of UIC for next year (I would have taken it this year if offered) if I stay in town for college to the president of the league, but one year may be too long to wait.

Thoughts?

Get the green monster off your back and work the games.  You already indicated that your schedule wasn't a problem so don't worry about what the schedule of others is or who is working the "big opening day" game.  Your way to young to be so bitter.

I was in the same boat you were last year and its a tough spot. I worked my a$$ off, and the UIC from last year stepped down and told the umpire director of that league that I should be the UIC this year. So I was asked. I acceppted. During the off season, I scheduled meetings, had mechinic and rotation clinics and talked to some local travel teams to schedule scrimmages so I could get my guys some work. It was great, I enjoyed it and everyone was steadily improving. Then, after the league drafted players for this year, we had a meeting with all the coaches and umpires. And the problems started. They didn't like the way we were going to handle coaches. They didn't like some of the Dixie rules or how they would be enforced. So two weeks before the season starts, I was told that my services would no longer be needed as UIC. Basically, I did all the work, they took all the credit. If you enjoy working this league, then I would suggest not acceppting the UIC post. What happened to me might not happen to you, but if it does, it ain't worth it. IMO, places like this don't want quality umpires, they want guys they can push around and let certain things slide, and you do not seem to be that kind of person or umpire.

I'm still working it. I was going to start doing high school ball this year, but decided against it, as I wanted to devote all my time and attention to getting everything going in the right direction and then hand the reins off. It's the same league I grew up playing in and its where I got my start. I think its time for me to move on to bigger and better things now. But I'll proably pick up a few games here and there with them. Mainly for the reason that I like working with new guys and watching them grow, learn and mature through out a season.

This sound a like what my last 4 years have been like.  I had enough and decided to throw my hat in and take the UIC position. No one ever wants it, so I would tell you to run for it. It is an elected position on most LL boards. It was really bad when I got there with dads doing the plate and really making a mess of things. I schedule the games by asking for a game a week for 6 days. I do 2 nights, Tuesday and Friday. (I also work the field and evaluate and critique others.

Now I have all adult umpires in correct dress. I buy them shirts and hats, they buy pants and belt. The league supplies the gear and an umpires lounge.(Big lighted closet LOL, bench added 2013)

Jr Umps where powder blue shirts and black sweat pants. I had the shirts all be XL and printed locally and can they not do Majors games. 14 to 22 YO if in college.

The hardest parts of the change was rules issues. When I got there they had a huge list of special rules, from HBP counts, to ejection criteria and punishments. I wanted to go 100% with LL rule book, the board pushed back, compromise was reached, and then I came again the next year and now we use the book. (Took 3 years) Stay the course and build slowly. People do not like the bandaid ripped off, then peal it slowly. The board now back us 100%. There is no board hearing for an ejection, there is no appeal of ejection.(These all existed.)

We are one of the few associations in PA that still use volunteer umps.

We meet as an umpire group once a month and train using all the free stuff on the web.

Good luck, stick with it and work for change. I openly admit I use info from this site and advice I get from here often.

• Like 4

I started out in a local rec league and was slated to become the Umpire Director.  After an argument (stupid, but whatever) I ended up not getting the position. As a result, I went to get certified by OHSAA and then started working travel games and a couple years later, high school games.  Ended up meeting people and working games I otherwise would not have had the opportunity to.  

There are some idiots in small ball but there are some on every system out there. I work every level and still enjoy the little guys. If a league guy wants to be stupid,I will call him on it or just work elsewhere. I have been in my area enough years I don't get the stupid crap. They have a stupid local rule,I tell them I am not calling it, particularly if it is in conflict with the book.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

There are some idiots in small ball but there are some on every system out there. I work every level and still enjoy the little guys. If a league guy wants to be stupid,I will call him on it or just work elsewhere. I have been in my area enough years I don't get the stupid crap. They have a stupid local rule,I tell them I am not calling it, particularly if it is in conflict with the book.

Bingo. I expect to do this a lot this year... For example, this LL has never taught any of their umpires 7.13 (what to do when someone leads off). I plan on throwing the red flag this year if need be... I know I will get :WTF: looks and people thinking I'm just stupid, but I really don't care.

Bingo. I expect to do this a lot this year... For example, this LL has never taught any of their umpires 7.13 (what to do when someone leads off). I plan on throwing the red flag this year if need be... I know I will get :WTF: looks and people thinking I'm just stupid, but I really don't care.

Well, I saved them money on flags and decided the Field Ump would raise his right arm over his head. I did a Field today and loved it. Many of our majors games are done solo, so you can only see the guy at 2nd, unless a R1 really jumps the pitch. The coaches hated it when we started calling it.  HATED IT!  I mean the base coaches are right there, but they never see a kid miss a base or leave early. And they yell at me??  :smachhead::no:

mjr,

I am the UIC for a local little league, however I don't work games.  I have enough games on my schedule and I honeslty can't stand LL anymore.  I do the scheduling/payroll and get to answer the emails from bitchy coaches/board members when they have and issues and/or questions.  I think I am the only UIC they have ever had that actually umpires.... They love having me because I know what I'm talking about, however there are alot of conflicts between me (an umpire) and the board.

The BOD is practically afraid of the coaches and refuses to hold them accountable for their actions.  We go round and round in meetings and in person when there is an issue and the coaches side is always taken.

My suggestion is to go along with what they want, they are writing your checks.  If they won't defend you when you make a decision, it's going to be a very long season for you!  If you don't, you may be looking for games elsewhere.