wearing glasses while umpirng?

umprieletsplay
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3962 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I agree with noumpere.  I also wear glasses on the field and it took me the better part of a full season to be able to get the mask off and keep the glasses secure but now have not had a problem in years.  It's just practice.

I wear glasses and the only time I ever had an issue was my first year umpiring when I wore a bucket instead of a mask, and it was only on one play. A play I'll likely not forget.

Make sure you grab the mask near the bottom and make sure you're first move is to pull the bottom of the mask AWAY from your face, before lifting upwards in any way. Practice in front of a mirror for a half an hour and you should be fine.

Unless your frames are exceptionally large.

JM

I have worn glasses my whole life. It seemed natural to me. as I was a catcher too, and never had problems (old school with a real mask and helmet).

I thought about what I do and even did it to give make sure for my reply to this post.

I grab the center of my mask and my first movement is straight out from my face, then straight up. Works really well with any style hats as well.

My straps are loose on the mask as well.

Something to think about are the frames that you wear. Make sure that they don't get hit if your mask is blown off your head.

Cheap anti-fog trick we use for hockey - rub a little dish soap onto your lenses - let it dry - then clean the film like taking wax off your car.

I also wear glasses. I tried contacts while umpiring for a year but with my astigmatism contacts just weren't comfortable. I don't have a problem wearing glasses, but have found that wearing a mask with wrap around pads makes it much more difficult to get the mask on and off. I tried a bucket for one year and I felt that it made it a lot easier to work around the glasses (the vision was great too) but it was too heavy and hot so I went back to the traditional. I now wear a Diamond ix3 featherweight with Team Wendy pads. This setup works great for me, leaves more room inside the mask for my glasses plus it's very light and comfortable.

I also wear glasses. I tried contacts while umpiring for a year but with my astigmatism contacts just weren't comfortable. I don't have a problem wearing glasses, but have found that wearing a mask with wrap around pads makes it much more difficult to get the mask on and off. I tried a bucket for one year and I felt that it made it a lot easier to work around the glasses (the vision was great too) but it was too heavy and hot so I went back to the traditional. I now wear a Diamond ix3 featherweight with Team Wendy pads. This setup works great for me, leaves more room inside the mask for my glasses plus it's very light and comfortable.

I also wear glasses and use this same setup. No problems at all. All the above advice is good. Pull the mask out, then up, and practice that. Uless the glasses are real large, I don't se any issues that you can't correct.Make sure your glasses fit correctly also, and don't slide too easily. Have an optician adjust them for a proper snug fit. 

Why anyone would wear glasses instead of glasses is beyond me.  I have 20/40 vision and wear glasses - shortsighted - but I wear contacts for games - and games only, in both baseball and hockey.  I can't wear them at work where I look at monitors all day, but I wouldn't feel comfortable officiating without them. 

Why give the bastards any ammunition?

Why anyone would wear glasses instead of glasses is beyond me.  I have 20/40 vision and wear glasses - shortsighted - but I wear contacts for games - and games only, in both baseball and hockey.  I can't wear them at work where I look at monitors all day, but I wouldn't feel comfortable officiating without them. 

I assume you mean contacts. I have no interest in even trying contacts. Between the chance of losing one during a game and my  regular job I would never consider it. Also, in my case I have astigmatism and bifocals to read. With glasses my eyesight is pretty good but without the reading portion of my bifocals, I could never maintain a line-up. If you choose contacts, go for it. 

Now that's funny. In my regular job I have to look at a point on the floor, look up and locate it on a ceiling fifty feet in the air. I usually am with-in two inches. My lead rigger and my son doubted me one day, except we were picking a spot on the ceiling and picking the spot on the floor. We placed a locator where we each had it. I placed my Zippo down and said it would fall within it. caught the center in one direction, the edge in the other. 

Now that's funny. In my regular job I have to look at a point on the floor, look up and locate it on a ceiling fifty feet in the air. I usually am with-in two inches. My lead rigger and my son doubted me one day, except we were picking a spot on the ceiling and picking the spot on the floor. We placed a locator where we each had it. I placed my Zippo down and said it would fall within it. caught the center in one direction, the edge in the other. 

Is that better than our rules interpreter who gets 50% of his calls right and 25% of his interpretations?

Can't wear contacts - have tried them and for some reason just can't do it. I wear glasses doing baseball and hockey (under a visor) and the only problem is sweat once in a while, but I keep a cloth to clean them (glasses and visor in hockey) in my pocket.

I need them mostly to read the line-up card or game sheets anyhow.

Use some anti fog stuff.

http://ekusa.com/cat-crap

Works on glasses, and goggles in 120Deg F weather.

what does this have to do with anything in this thread?

Not sure what you mean?

You're not?  This thread is about wearing glasses or contacts due to taking off your mask and the glasses being in the way.  What does this link have to do with the topic??

Use some anti fog stuff.

Not sure what you mean?

You're not?  This thread is about wearing glasses or contacts due to taking off your mask and the glasses being in the way.  What does this link have to do with the topic??

1. recomendation on a product that I have used a lot in hot weather. 2. will work in extreme conditions 3. You need another cup of coffee OR go back to bed.

1. recomendation on a product that I have used a lot in hot weather. 2. will work in extreme conditions 3. You need another cup of coffee OR go back to bed.

1)   I asked you a simple question because your link didnt' make sense to me.  2) You didn't understand my question, so I clarified it, and  3) you respond with a smarta$$ remark? :shrug:  :shakehead:

Use some anti fog stuff.

Not sure what you mean?

A product that keeps lenses from fogging while wearing glasses doesn't seem too irrelevant to me. Seems BigUmpire is just mentioning a cure to another issue that could arise while wearing glasses under a mask.  

• Like 2