Notched the belt on my first Varsity game last night

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4003 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First game(s) of the season last night, ....and .....my first Varsity game :hi5:

Pretty darn smooth all in all, 1:50 min 7 inning game.  I could tell it was game one as the pitch tracking wasn't the greatest, but all in all I felt pretty comfortable.  In Michigan, only Varsity does lineups, etc (JV just goes 'by the book'), so that was pretty fun logging changes, pinch runners, etc.

I did have an issue though, and I think it should be a lesson;

1 and 2 count with 2 outs .....all of the sudden my CP feels strange, loose on the right side, "crap, my strap must looped through" .....next pitch, ball 2 ....another pitch and he strikes out swinging.   I run to the HT bench and whip things off to try and get the strap fixed to no avail, I quickly get my partners attention and send him to the SUV for my 'back-up' CP!!  WHEW!!  I USUALLY don't, but yesterday, I brought both CPs .... :nod:

And, ...in game 2, ....I got to call a balk on a double set!  Scored a run also .... EZ-PeeZee! :wave:   I also had to explain to the visiting coach that R1 was NOT out of the baseline, and had to have the "his baseline NOT THE baseline" discussion.  I'm not sure he liked it too much, but I think he believed me ....oh well, it is what it is :meditation:

Anyhow, Varsity isn't really a big deal because I've done U18 stuff before, but just that it was a MSHAA Varsity ball game made it somewhat "official"?  Whatever,...that's that! :D

Varsity belt notched! :beerbang

• Like 7

You changed your CP during the game? Did you end up diagnosing the problem?

I did!! When I realized I wasn't going to be able to fix the strap immediately I sent my partner of to my car to grab my other one.

Diagnosis: before your first game of the season double and triple check all of your equipment! :-)

It just appeared to be that the strap had slipped out hanging up all off season :shrug:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats!

You know there is nothing stopping you from taking lineup cards in JV and MS games. All School games I take line up cards.

Thanks Rolando!

Totally understood, ....I added that as a side note, and for clarification as to why I actually mentioned it! :smachhead:   I do know that, and probably should do that!  Thanks :hi5: