Rookie Question

Magic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4036 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I teach our rookie class for our association. And this was what one of the guys asked the other day:

So if you have a runner on 3rd And he is hit by a line drive while standing on the base he would be out right?

So I am up in the front of the class trying to think if I have ever seen R3 hanging out on 3rd when a ball is hit? Nope can't say I have ever seen that... So then I got to thinking about the rule I will probably never have to call and trying to think of a scenario where this might apply. OF course on 2nd base it could happen. Although I doubt it would. I looked up the Rule in Fed and know the answer. What do you guys think the rule is? I will post the answer I came up with after a few. Of course I am no expert so I could be completely wrong.

Depends on where he was hit.  A runner is out if he is hit by a fair ball in fair territoruy (with some exceptions like and infield fly if he is on the base, or if the ball has passed a fielder...).  So if the runner was hit over foul territory on a line drive, it owuld just be foul.  If he was hit over fair territory, he would be out.

But being on the base or off the base doesn't matter unless it was an infield fly and it wasnt in your play.

• Like 1

F5 is playing in (8 feet in front if the base), makes a lunge for the line drive and misses it. The batted ball then hits R3 who, for some inexplicable reason, is on the bag. It's a fair ball. Now make your ruling.

In obr, if in your judgment the ball passes an infielder and another fielder has the opportunity to make a play on the ball then the runner would still be out, it doesn't matter whether you think he could have retired a runner after Fielding the ball. Read 7.09 K, " and No other infielder had a chance to make a play on the ball" says nothing about making a play on a runner just a Play on the ball.

• Like 1

I teach our rookie class for our association. And this was what one of the guys asked the other day:

So if you have a runner on 3rd And he is hit by a line drive while standing on the base he would be out right?

So I am up in the front of the class trying to think if I have ever seen R3 hanging out on 3rd when a ball is hit? Nope can't say I have ever seen that... So then I got to thinking about the rule I will probably never have to call and trying to think of a scenario where this might apply. OF course on 2nd base it could happen. Although I doubt it would. I looked up the Rule in Fed and know the answer. What do you guys think the rule is? I will post the answer I came up with after a few. Of course I am no expert so I could be completely wrong.

On an editorial note:

Instead of having to wait to post the answer you have or is found you can use the "spoiler" tag line that Warren just recently added to the forum, which looks like this:

Put your answer or Interp. here

That way you don't have to wait, and others can just click on it and see what you have without exposing the answer to everyone.

In the OP unless F6 snuck in behind the bag for some reason I can't see the INT since it's already passed F5.

On an editorial note:

Instead of having to wait to post the answer you have or is found you can use the "spoiler" tag line that Warren just recently added to the forum, which looks like this:

That way you don't have to wait, and others can just click on it and see what you have without exposing the answer to everyone.

In the OP unless F6 snuck in behind the bag for some reason I can't see the INT since it's already passed F5.

If f6 is playing deep in the hole I could see him having a play on the ball... Or say it is a lefty at bat, likely in this situation seeing as the ball hits r3, I would say it could be probable that f5 could be playing behind the bag and close to the line especially if you have runners on first and third. This is a classic example of being aware or your game situation Before every pitch.

F5 is playing in (8 feet in front if the base), makes a lunge for the line drive and misses it. The batted ball then hits R3 who, for some inexplicable reason, is on the bag. It's a fair ball. Now make your ruling.

Again it depends on whethe the lunge meant the ball went through or immediately by F5.  It probably did in this case so I'd have the runner safe.  But if you judged it didnt then the runner is still out in OBR (but safe in FED and NCAA - assuming F6 didnt have a play)

• Like 2

Again it depends on whethe the lunge meant the ball went through or immediately by F5.  It probably did in this case so I'd have the runner safe.  But if you judged it didnt then the runner is still out in OBR (but safe in FED and NCAA - assuming F6 didnt have a play)

Exactly right. The point of my question was to show that the runner being on or off the bag isn't what's relevant. The position of the fielder (F5 in this case) is what needs to be considered. Then apply "through or by" for OBR and "string theory" for Fed.

• Like 1

Exactly right. The point of my question was to show that the runner being on or off the bag isn't what's relevant. The position of the fielder (F5 in this case) is what needs to be considered. Then apply "through or by" for OBR and "string theory" for Fed.

If only someone had said that back in post 4 or so. lol.

• Like 1

I had a similar play 5 or so years ago,  made the mistake of sticking around to watch the next game after my sons game was finished to eat hotdogs and watch a travel Bball game.  Ump was a no show or the assignor screwed up, not sure.  Anyway they asked me, since I was on the E Board - I did it.  R2 - ground ball to short, goes under the glove, hits the foot of R2 on his way to third, all the coaches started yelling "he's out, he's out"  luckily for me the 3rd base coach kept the kid on he bag, shortstop kept the ball and walked it over to the pitcher.  1st base coach sent the B/R to second, no play.  when all settled, I was back at the plate, coach walked over and I explained the rule, he knows me cause I used to do his mens league games.  "you see the ball hit the runner?  Me "yep", him "so he's out right?", me "nope", him "but the ball hit him".  Me "after it went under your players glove, in that instance by rule he is not out", him " but my kids thought he was out and stopped playing" Me "he gets third, the other guy gets second, lets continue"  him " can you send the guy back to 1st?" Me "no, lets play"  Him "but thats not fair"  Me I dont make the rules, lets play"  Him "OK" .

Announcer " the rule states that when the ball passes a fielder and then hits a runner that runner is not out, that is clearly what happened in this case" (he had the rule book opened and my son was standing next to him smiling).  after the game my son said the guy was looking through the book for the rule and my son told him what section to go to.  I keep a copy in each bathroom, and he was reading through it!! He's 15 now and not really into Baseball anymore, plays football when he is not hunting and fishing, and baseball would interfere with his fishing. 

If only someone had said that back in post 4 or so. lol.

True enough, but sometimes it helps others to see the debate unfold and picture the conversation from many different directions.  I'm not sure stopping the debate early benefits anyone trying to learn.  Even when there is incorrect info posted it is usually corrected, again helping others with less experience to understand not only what, but why.

It's not like we're debating a musical instrument, or maybe a particular chest protector............ :fuel::sarcasm:

On an editorial note:

That is COOL.