It finally happened...

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3995 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Heading to the park with my new Nutty Buddy today...I am not anxious to test its effectiveness, but it will be in place nonetheless!!! I haven't had the same luck as Michael, so I don't take any chances!

May 15 foul tips hit you today!!! 👷

• Like 1

Heading to the park with my new Nutty Buddy today...I am not anxious to test its effectiveness, but it will be in place nonetheless!!! I haven't had the same luck as Michael, so I don't take any chances!

May 15 foul tips hit you today!!!

Jax,

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catchers hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catchers glove or hand.

:fuel:

No unpire, has ever been hit by a foul tip. 

As far as being a "1st year", it doesn't matter.  You're going to get hit.  What you will notice is that you get hit by pitches NOW.  When you move up, you get hit with foul balls that are moving much faster and accelerating towards you off of the bat.

Let coaches coach, that's their job.  When you try to do it nothing good happens.  Now there's a fine line between game management ("If you catch that it's a strike") and coaching ("Move back so you don't get CI/hurt"), but as mstaylor implies you cannot assume how the kid has/hasn't been coached.  If you tell F2 something that is not what his coach told him, how do you handle the discussion when the kid goes back to the dugout and tells his coach "The umpire told me to do it this way".  It's not worth the discussion.  We wear protective gear for a reason guys and if you call lower levels (I do) taking shots comes with the territory.

It's up to you whether you are going to try to tell the coach his F2 needs to do something different, but do it between innings if you do.  Calling time to initiate a discussion with a coach about his players' technique is not a good practice.

I was a Varsity game the other day. Evidently the PU told the HM that his catcher was too close. He asked me about it, I told him I want him as close as possible without getting hit. Where he does sit is up to him, I will deal with wherever he is.  

As far as being a "1st year", it doesn't matter.  You're going to get hit.  What you will notice is that you get hit by pitches NOW.  When you move up, you get hit with foul balls that are moving much faster and accelerating towards you off of the bat.

Sorry, a ball cannot accelerate after touching something. They may spin though.

May 15 foul tips hit you today!!! Jax, A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catchers hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catchers glove or hand. :fuel: Didn't know that.
  • Like 1

Jax,

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catchers hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catchers glove or hand.

:fuel:

This is why they don't send donkeys to school. :fuel:  :stir  :FIRE:

• Like 1

So the theory of Angular Acceleration in physics does not apply to the game of baseball........ interesting.  Please show your work.

• 2 weeks later...

That's funny, other than the getting hit in the cup part. I have my streak still going, I am starting my 39th season. 

Come on MST, quit hiding behind the catcher like Crawford and Cuzzi and playing pee-a-boo(even though they play very very well). Get way out there in the slot for the next 39 years and let's see your luck. Place your slot foot even with the tip of the batter's toes no matter where the catcher sets up. Let's go, bare down out there. Oh yea, don't rub em if you get hit.

PS. can we assume you wear the NB just in case it ever happens. They need your endorsement.

Look, I work at a place that makes electrical components. We have a term or metric known as reliability. When we make a component a certain way for a long period of time and have no failures then that method can't be disputed. It is proven. I think MST is safe given this metric.

So the theory of Angular Acceleration in physics does not apply to the game of baseball........ interesting.  Please show your work.

I think what you guys are arguing about is whether a ball can come off the bat with more speed than it had before the contact with the bat.  The answer is yes, it can.  But it's not going to happen for the fouls you typically get hit with --- typically fastballs the batter swings under.  In that case, the backspin of the pitch will mean the ball will *always* be traveling slower toward you after the contact with the bat.

The "work": toss a "superball" with backspin away from you, onto the floor.  Its forward speed (away from you) will decrease.  It may even back up.  (A superball will just make the effect more obvious.)  The opposite example: in baseball, a high hopper can pick up speed on the second bounce because it has overspin, not backspin.

A curveball (has overspin), and swung under, may or may not pick speed after hitting the bat --- it depends in the relative speed of the spin and the bat.  But hitters typically swing *over* curveballs, which would result in a slower ball after contact.  And, even if they did swing under the pitch , the relative speed of the spin and the bat will typically result in a decrease in the ball's speed due to the contact with the bat.

This was discussed before on UE.  See http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/51002-foulballs-on-your-forehead/page-2

That's funny, other than the getting hit in the cup part. I have my streak still going, I am starting my 39th season. 

Come on MST, quit hiding behind the catcher like Crawford and Cuzzi and playing pee-a-boo(even though they play very very well). Get way out there in the slot for the next 39 years and let's see your luck. Place your slot foot even with the tip of the batter's toes no matter where the catcher sets up. Let's go, bare down out there. Oh yea, don't rub em if you get hit.

PS. can we assume you wear the NB just in case it ever happens. They need your endorsement.

I'm a scissor guy, I'm always in the slot. And I do not wear a NB. Long story but I don't use a jock, which the NB requires.