He Said What?

Jeapugrad
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3991 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have two good boys,19 and 24, but since they were little I told them if they were doing something and they heard me snap my fingers, whatever they were doing, stop and think about it. I would snap twice, the first they would hear, the second they were not going to like. I only spanked them a couple of times but they learned early, don't make Dad mad. At 19 and 24 I can still snap my fingers and they will stop and look. Thhey are both black belts and my older is an Eagle Scout. I don't think discipline hurt them in the least. 

• Like 1

I always knew I was in trouble when my mom used my whole name. She still does when I do something stupid ( happens a lot) and I still cower in fear, and I'm 26 years old. My daughter's understand I'm going to let them toe the line, but if they even think about stepping over it they will play the consequences. My wife and kids watch a lot of my games, and I get lots of comments about how well behaved and respectfully they are.

I taught my children a lesson I learned at MCRD. When I say "ZERO" they FREEZE. No matter what. Worked wonders. Now they're ppretty much grown, and still know to lock it up when they hear that word.

Boys, boys....... your palls (wifes) are the most easiest person to tame.

Just treat them with respect, love and careing....

do WHATEVER you have been told to do......

EXACTLY the way she asked you to do it.....

WHENEVER she asked you to do it....

THE EXACT MOMENT she asked you to do it !

That's the whole line-up right there.

You all can manage a 9 inning game, double header, rainy weather...

so WHAT the ....... is your problem with your spouses?

oh, by the way, my boys (17 and 13) turned out to be nice couple of guys as well.

I am just telling them both, be sure you have lot of women in your life,

before you settle down. You need to know those creatures well beforehand....

whahahahahahaha.......

But I'm a nice girl ;)

My mom can still lock me up anywhere with either the full name or the number 11 - I was 11 pounds when I was born. My grandfather has a two note whistle that will send me running towards whereever he might be at the time.

If I pulled that stunt that that kid did? My baseball equipment would have been sold.

It's discipline. 

While the kid has no business saying that, look at what his role model father (the HC). did.

Is it any wonder he said something like that?? Look who he has to look up to. Where are the adult hero's to look up too. When dad has no integrity and respect and decency towards the umpire, how do you expect the other players, much less the son, to respect the umpires.

Let's put the blame squarely on the shoulders of those responsible for setting a good example to not only their children but to all children. The father.

Isn't there some coach in hot water for not being a role model this past week. Where are those who respect the game at this age. The kids are just repeating what they see from the adults that are coaching them, and the coaches when they attend a game, and the parents in the stands. Just pitiful.

"Around the third inning, the Tournament Director waved me over to the fence between innings. He asked me what happened and I told him. He said the player was going to be suspended for the entire tournament. He walked over to the Head Coach to let him know of the suspension and the Head Coached stormed out of the dugout and got in my face. He was on fire".

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. This is suppose to be fun. I agree that the T.D. should inform the coach of a suspension after the game. T.D. are not always a friend to umpires. They have their own agenda. I agree with no money refunded. That will cause the parents to act. Pack your gear and hit the road and take your potty mouthed son with you. If that is what the man is raising it was just a matter of time before he also went off and was ejected.

My mom can still lock me up anywhere with either the full name or the number 11 - I was 11 pounds when I was born. My grandfather has a two note whistle that will send me running towards whereever he might be at the time.

If I pulled that stunt that that kid did? My baseball equipment would have been sold.

It's discipline. 

When I had gone home from boot camp on leave.......invincible & bold to the world, I let a wise crack slip towards mom.  Now, out of boot, I was 5'10" @ 210lbs.  Mom is all of 5'3" 80 lbs.  But that hillbilly discipline put me in check right away.  It was something along the lines of "son, you're not that old that I won't turn you over my knee".  Well, when I responded with "sure thing mom, I'll let you", she couldn't help but laugh.