new fed hybrid balk

RC@54OUTS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4020 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had this last night, I couldn't hear myself saying "his foot wasn't quite perpendicular to the rubber, skip. That's why I just balked your guy with the bases jammed and he's not even looking at the runners." So, instead, I took a couple steps forward from the "c" position and made a point to look at the alignment of his feet, then I looked directly at the manager, then fell back to "c" again. 

Same pitcher the next inning, only the "hybrid" set magically disappeared.  :hi5:

Good preventive officiating in my opinion. Have you been hit with the Force 3 yet?

I understand this is booger picking if F1's feet are in this position and he winds up. But are you saying if a pitcher leans in for a sign, stretches, and comes set with his pivot foot in the position it is shown in post #8 you're letting it go? I disagree 100%

I understand this is booger picking if F1's feet are in this position and he winds up. But are you saying if a pitcher leans in for a sign, stretches, and comes set with his pivot foot in the position it is shown in post #8 you're letting it go? I disagree 100%

See post #16

See post #16

What's your point? That's a legal windup position. I think we all can agree on that. I'm also saying winding up with the free foot in front of the rubber is picking boogers in FED. (It's legal in OBR). Again we all agree. What I'm asking you is do you think if a pitcher stretches and comes set with his feet in the position of post 8, what do you have? I have a balk. 

That's a legal windup position. I think we all can agree on that.

From the fine print of the diagram in post 8:

A number of pitchers are starting a pitch from this hybrid position. This position is illegal since it does not meet the criteria of EITHER THE WINDUP or set position.

All of us except me and the NFHSAA.

The BalkHawk SHAN'T be fooled!

See post #16

What's your point? That's a legal windup position. I think we all can agree on that. I'm also saying winding up with the free foot in front of the rubber is picking boogers in FED. (It's legal in OBR). Again we all agree. What I'm asking you is do you think if a pitcher stretches and comes set with his feet in the position of post 8, what do you have? I have a balk. 

I have post #16

A number of pitchers are starting a pitch from this hybrid position. This position is illegal since it does not meet the criteria of EITHER THE WINDUP or set position.

My comment was in response to Bam who said see post 16, which is the post that shows a legal windup position. 

It's not really new, just reemphasizing the rule all along. As long as they can't throw to a base from the windup without disengaging, I understand why no hybrids should be allowed. I don't think it's a big deal, frankly. If you can catch it in warmups, kill it then. If not, maybe a warning early in the season, or just balk it. They'll learn and adjust and if they don't like it, whatever.

Yep.  Our association certainly let us know the importance of balking it.

My comment was in response to Bam who said see post 16, which is the post that shows a legal windup position

. My point is that NOBODY is gaining an advantage on this.  Make them (somehow) do it right.  FED wants to make it a POE, fine.  But to make it a focal point of the game is counterproductive.  

My comment was in response to Bam who said see post 16, which is the post that shows a legal windup position

. My point is that NOBODY is gaining an advantage on this.  Make them (somehow) do it right.  FED wants to make it a POE, fine.  But to make it a focal point of the game is counterproductive.  

OK, gotcha.  All I'm saying is I don't think you can let F1 use the foot position shown in post 8 in the set position without addressing it. 

I am quite familiar with angles and dimensions and the like; give me something to measure. Lets say it much less extreme, but his foot is still not perpendicular- say 10°. Is that a balk? 5°? 25°? Tell me it shall be directly pointed at the plate. I could get a lot of balks.

Let me ask this bam, with a R3, pitcher takes the position in figure 8 and winds up, what do you do. 

I am quite familiar with angles and dimensions and the like; give me something to measure. Lets say it much less extreme, but his foot is still not perpendicular- say 10°. Is that a balk? 5°? 25°? Tell me it shall be directly pointed at the plate. I could get a lot of balks.

I'm not about to pick nits with a couple degrees either. Agree with you here^^^^^

I disagree that no one is getting an advantage if they use a hybrid for a windup. No one's talking about getting out a protractor and seeing if it's perpendicular or 5 degrees or 10. But let's say the picture is in the classic hybrid in the picture used in the POE slide, pivot foot at about a 45 degree angle and the free foot in front. The runner(s) think he's in the set and don't take as big of a lead to protect against a throw. But the pitcher really intends to be and executes a windup. Now the runners are disadvantaged from taking a lead that they would have taken if the pitcher was clearly in the windup. As long as the rules don't allow a throw/feint from the windup, I say there is an unfair and unlawful advantage to using the hybrid.

• Like 6

The hybrid stance is illegal by rule, and my state wants the rule enforced. So, here's what I do:

1. If I see F1 warming up with a hybrid stance, I'll address it then with F1 and his coach.

2. If he does it with no runners on, I'll warn once.

3. After that, it's an illegal pitch/balk depending on whether runners are on base.

We started to enforce this  in preseason,  warnings  and then balls. Called 2 warnings and then 4 balls in 3 innings on same pitcher, and it just was getting out of hand. Had to stop  doing it fnas where getting to be to much. Told coach after the game if he will not correct his pitcher then it will cost him a game. Season started yesterday waiting to hear the fall out.

Joc we where told once he is set call the ball or the balk.

What if he never coes set?  Or maybe, I'm missing your point.

Most of the time I had seen this, the pitcher intended to and did pitch from the windup (ignoring for these purposes the position of the feet)

Joc we where told once he is set call the ball or the balk.

What if he never coes set?  Or maybe, I'm missing your point.

Most of the time I had seen this, the pitcher intended to and did pitch from the windup (ignoring for these purposes the position of the feet)

If he uses the wind-up, balk him as soon as he commits to pitch. 

• Like 2