th3

Happiness is...

...banging the 4 hole hitter in a close game and HC yells, "He's been on that corner all day! Why didn't you protect?!?"

• Like 2

Working an NAIA DH in 34 degree/22-30 MPH winds in the middle of a pasture/cornfield in Nebraska and the home pitcher throws a No-Hitter allowing your day to be just a little bit shorter than the average NAIA DH.

This was a big bonus for me and my partner as Arbiter had us scheduled for 2 x 7's and the coaches informed us at first plate meeting that we are working a 7 and a 9.  The $15 extra pay for two more innings did not seem like enough that day. 

http://www.pscbobcats.com/news/2013/3/18/BB_0318135245.aspx?path=baseball

• Like 1

"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

Add in the warm sun shining and the smell of freshly cut grass.

"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."

- Bill Veeck

Add in the warm sun shining and the smell of freshly cut grass.

I prefer a slight overcast and a cool breeze, but yep. 

After striking out in every at bat over the season... a 8 year old get his first hit in the last game of the year. Cool story with this, but I'll tell it another time.

Just got this email:

Steve,

Would you like to umpire our 14U game this Thursday at La Paz field at 7pm?  Wolves versus BPA Black.  $60 - lmk.  Did a great job the other day at our game.

:)

rat..they are all rats right?

Perhaps.  Yet, at least some can appreciate good work when they see it.  :wave:

A hottub and a cold beer at the hotel

"[ArbiterSports.com] You have new games from . . . "

It depends on what I see when I log in. Varsity or above then I'm like 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwESraWEpSU

If it is rec ball then I'm like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEFOycnN3o&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLyEFOycnN3o&has_verified=1

• Like 1

Back to topic...

just a good game with a good partner. 

Last week I had a bad day at work, had terrible traffic getting to the game making me a bit late, I was pissed. I walk up to my partner ranting and b1tching. He just smiles extends his hand to shake mine and says, "Warren, relax it is all going to be fine. Good to work with you again." I started calming down, but still rushed to get ready. 

Once I was geared up and realized I was good on time I got in the right mind set. By the third inning I felt in the zone. By the end of the game I was feeling more refreshed and relaxed than before the game started.

• Like 1

I might get banned if I say what first comes to mind :wave:, so I'll go with reading a rule or case book in my room with the window cracked enough to hear the "ping!" of the bat coming from the high school near my house for the first spring practices.

Yes, I would rather a "crack" of the bat, but I can wait until MLB Opening Day for that. :P

Back to topic...

just a good game with a good partner. 

Last week I had a bad day at work, had terrible traffic getting to the game making me a bit late, I was pissed. I walk up to my partner ranting and b1tching. He just smiles extends his hand to shake mine and says, "Warren, relax it is all going to be fine. Good to work with you again." I started calming down, but still rushed to get ready. 

Once I was geared up and realized I was good on time I got in the right mind set. By the third inning I felt in the zone. By the end of the game I was feeling more refreshed and relaxed than before the game started.

One of my favorite things about umpiring. It's MY time. I can forget about work, bills, and the rest of that stuff for a while, and, hopefully just enjoy the game for a while. 

• Like 1