Batter throws the bat

metroump9
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4036 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

NFHS  The bunt/hit and run is on.  The catcher calls the pitch out in order to throw out the BR.  The batter throws his bat in an attempt to hit the ball to protect the runner.  Is this legal?  (A) If he misses the ball and his bat affects the catchers attempt to throw out the runner?  (B) If he hits the ball do you just play it out?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

If the batter ducked an inside pitch and the ball hit his bat and went into fair territory your playing it right?  Same thing here.  Big difference is you have a sitch where when he decides to throw the bat, IF he interferes with F2's ability to play the ball you have BI, that's really the only difference.

About 10 years ago, I was doing a game with major league rules and the catcher got word from the coach to give the batter a intentional walk. Ball one ok, Ball two ok, Ball three...the batter throws his bat at the pitch which a good two feet out of the Zone, I was dumbstruck and almost forgot to move. The bat hit the pitch and flew about twenty feet down the third base line and stayed fair. The pitcher got over there and threw toward first but his throw was poor and the 1st baseman couldn't handle it and the batter was safe. WELL, here come the coach saying he can't do that. REPLY: there nothing the rule book that says he can't and he has every right to attempt to hit a legal pitch. COACH, well he threw his bat at the pitcher. REPLY, coach the bat landed a good 15 feet to the right of the pitcher. Coach,well, he just can't do that, it isn't right because we wanted to walk him. REPLY, well coach he is on first so you did get your wish. I tell others about this and they shake their heads in disbelief.

If a batter sticks his bat in the zone and holds it there, with no attempt to bunt the ball, with a stealing runner it is BI but I doubt there is a casebook play to cover it. 

We'd have a discussion if you called that.  Unless the batter pulled his bat back toward the catcher as he was throwing  there's pretty much no way it would interfere with a throw.

If he sticks his bat out with no attempt to contact the ball and holds it over the plate, that absolutely can be BI. If that catcher is coming through to throw and the batter is holding his bat there for no other reason than to protect his runner, bang, he's out. And you can discuss it all you like but I will be inviting you to protest me. 

If he sticks his bat out with no attempt to contact the ball and holds it over the plate, that absolutely can be BI. If that catcher is coming through to throw and the batter is holding his bat there for no other reason than to protect his runner, bang, he's out. And you can discuss it all you like but I will be inviting you to protest me. 

Meet me halfway - Harrisburg maybe?  I'll demonstrate that it wouldn't be anywhere close to being in the way.  :-)

Don't forget - it might be my batter or it might be my catcher. I have to think of both sides of the issue.

Then I can pick your brain on theater light/sound setups in a typical HS Theater.

Sounds good, and I am an ETC fan. :) Also note I say can be, not absolutely is. 

Key being - did F2 have an unimpeded throwing lane?  Whether he's leaning over the plate like a statue in a bunting position, or falling over the plate after swinging - F2 should be afforded a throwing lane.

Sounds good, and I am an ETC fan. :) Also note I say can be, not absolutely is. 

Key being - did F2 have an unimpeded throwing lane?  Whether he's leaning over the plate like a statue in a bunting position, or falling over the plate after swinging - F2 should be afforded a throwing lane.

Oh NO YOU DID NOT!!! He did. He pulled out the Throwing lane violation!!!