Coaches sitting outside of the dugout

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Agreed.

I try and address this at the plate meeting. I just request that both coaches keep themselves, their players, and any equipment in the dugout.

If you stop the game enough times to wait on them to do so, they get the hint.

It's like the dugout is kryptonite to coaches sometimes I swear.

Nothing good happens when rats are allowed to be out of the dugout.
The door of the dugout seems to magically slow the down the urge to “assist†you.

League rules prevent it BUT:
Two young umps allowed both 14U teams rats to roam at will.
All 4 of them on one team would jump up and “coach†their defense on most plays.
Some of these guys would be 3-4 feet from the foul line doing so.
One rat was almost in the third base coach’s box with the opposing coach.
These young umps were “counseled†on their “mistakes†throughout the game with a face to face meeting at the plate by the rats!.

I told them to at least exercise the new USSSA rule: 10.03 “Any manager, coach, sponsor, player or other dugout personnel shall be confined to the dugout for the remainder of a game as an alternative to an ejection at the sole discretion of the Umpire(s).

Big issue now is the veterans will be buttheads when they put these rats in the dugout going forward!

Hope they learned a lesson.

The only time I have seen the coach on the bucket trick allowed, is if the dugout is very small. That means the manager only and he is on the outfield side of the dugout in DBT.

I try to keep them in the doorway and off from the top step if there are steps.

Guest saj551

I do not address coaches and players staying in the dugout during the plate meeting. I keep my plate meetings short and simple. IF a coach comes out of the dugout I warn him once. The next time he comes out he gets to watch the game from the parking lot (I would restrict him to the dugout but we've already established that he won't stay there). I work for a youth league that fines coaches and teams when they have coaches/players ejected from games so it doesn't happen very often. Usually a warning is all it takes.  Take control of the game early....

The door of the dugout seems to magically slow the down the urge to “assist†you.

These young umps were “counseled†on their “mistakes†throughout the game with a face to face meeting at the plate by the rats!.

I told them to at least exercise the new USSSA rule: 10.03 “Any manager, coach, sponsor, player or other dugout personnel shall be confined to the dugout for the remainder of a game as an alternative to an ejection at the sole discretion of the Umpire(s).

Big issue now is the veterans will be buttheads when they put these rats in the dugout going forward!

I wasn't aware of this new USSSA Rule and it is not being used in Southern California.

We do not Restrict.

EJ or don't EJ, Restriction to the dugout is not a option.

I even had a PU Partner do it recently and while we waited for the TD to come to the field, I told him what the TD would say.

TD Reversed the Restriction.

I wasn't aware of this new USSSA Rule and it is not being used in Southern California.

We do not Restrict.

I even had a PU Partner do it recently and while we waited for the TD to come to the field, I told him what the TD would say.

I hope he then ejected. 

We do not Restrict.

I hope he then ejected. 

No he was not ejected because there were no grounds for a ejection.

We do not Restrict.

Then what does "EJ or don't EJ.  Restriction is not an option." mean? 

The coach wouldn't keep himself in the dugout.  Or was this a different set of circumstances? 

Either way, I thought for sure you would eject him.  :wave:

• Feb 1 2013 USSSA rules

RULE 10.00 – SPORTSMANSHIP & EJECTIONS

•  

• 10.03 Any manager, coach, sponsor, player or other dugout personnel shall be confined to the dugout for the remainder of a game as an alternative to an ejection at the sole discretion of the Umpire(s).

• Feb 1 2013 USSSA rules

RULE 10.00 – SPORTSMANSHIP & EJECTIONS

•  

• 10.03 Any manager, coach, sponsor, player or other dugout personnel shall be confined to the dugout for the remainder of a game as an alternative to an ejection at the sole discretion of the Umpire(s).

Bold above is the only part that matters.

If it's enough to restrict then it should be enough to eject, it always has been why change it now?  Just because FED thinks it's a viable tool?

Use game management to handle that which needs to be handled.  A reasonable warning is enough to get most peoples attention for ill behavior.  Why invite them to escalate and throw bombs from the dugout until you have to come out and be the bad guy again.  Shut it down and move on.  Don't give them an extra step to hang around and cause further problems.

Guest saj551

All 4 of them
on one team would jump up and “coach†their defense on most plays.

I told them to at least exercise the new USSSA rule:
10.03 “Any manager, coach, sponsor, player or other dugout personnel shall be confined to the dugout for the remainder of a game as an alternative to an ejection at the sole discretion of the Umpire(s).

We do not Restrict.

That would be the last game I worked for that TD.....

Guest gills

Our league has a code of conduct that all coaches must read and sign each year, along with parents and players. I consider this their first warning, because it lists expectations and lists consequences if you choose to disobey. if they are out there I simply call time and walk over to them and remind them of the form and say this is the only other warning you get from me for the whole season, Next time you're gone!

We do not Restrict.

That would be the last game I worked for that TD.....

Nope.

It is the last game I will work with that partner.

He was the tool in this case.

Blocks on Arbiter are a good thing in some cases.  :meditation:

(Playing devil's advocate)

Watch an MLB spring game. Why are the coaches on chairs outside the dugout?

Just a shot in the dark, but I would think mmost of those fields don't have Quest Tec to log pitches so they have to go old school. Plus they prob want to be closer to the Rookie umpires so they can share their wisdom that much quicker!

I consider this their first warning, because it lists expectations and lists consequences if you choose to disobey. if they are out there I simply call time and walk over to them and remind them of the form and say this is the only other warning you get from me for the whole season, Next time you're gone!

I guess, by this logic, the Golden Rule should have been their only warning. If you're carrying over warnings through the season, you're going to find yourself in a bad situation one day.

Guest Guest

What are your leagues rules on defensive coaches out of the dugouts during live play?

What are your feelings on these " Bucket sitters"

I will reply with my opinion later.

In LL, only the defensive players and the 2 base coaches are allowed on the field. Yes, our league has "bucket sitters," too. I constantly "remind" them a the homeplate meeting that the "dugout openings are to be kept clear." In one ear and out the other. So, if they are violating that, I now have the perfect solution: Call "TIME" and say: "Coach, move back." Having been "pointed out," I doubt they will repeat it (then again, there will always be ONE coach who will press their luck).

Saw this Sunday. OT has left a bucket outside the dugout on the grass. Dugouts open to the field. Ball fielded by F6 and overthrow to F3hits the bucket preventing it from entering the dugout. OTHC starts squaking he should get extras because of HIS bucket. What a d**k. Of course, HP told him no and to get the bucket in DBT.

For the most part here, no buckets are allowed outside of the dugout.... you are allowed to have it in the opening however.

The TDs allow coaches outside the dugouts in tournament ball. I tell them to stay on the far side of the gate so I don't get the creeping.