Coaches sitting outside of the dugout

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4041 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

No buckets or chairs allowed outside of dugout.  If the HC is not being a jerk we are more ok about him standing outside of dugout against the fence or wall.  As long as he is right next to dugout and is behaving, not an issue.  of course if you want letter of the law from NFHS keep everything in dugout.  Our association figures if they are behaving and its easier to talk to defense or pitcher and keeps game moving who cares.

I will saw a few umpires in our association disagree and will stick to letter of law and HC remains inside always.

Minnz, the reason they're in the dugout isn't to keep them from misbehaving. It's a safety issue. Standing outside the dugout puts him in a position for injury, which is why we keep him inside. Yes, he's an adult with his own mind, but as umpires we deal with stupidity on a daily basis.

Minnz, the reason they're in the dugout isn't to keep them from misbehaving. It's a safety issue. Standing outside the dugout puts him in a position for injury, which is why we keep him inside. Yes, he's an adult with his own mind, but as umpires we deal with stupidity on a daily basis.

I don't full disagree with you.  I have been told by a personal injury lawyer that if he gets smoked by a baseball inside or outside dugout will not change the outcome.  Each lawyer will find their loophole and whoever is best wins.  There are so many safety things we can banter and do not want to get off topic, but like I find games moves better if you don't have to keep looking over to get HC in dugout if he is a fence sitter.

No buckets or chairs allowed outside of dugout.  If the HC is not being a jerk we are more ok about him standing outside of dugout against the fence or wall.  As long as he is right next to dugout and is behaving, not an issue.  of course if you want letter of the law from NFHS keep everything in dugout.  Our association figures if they are behaving and its easier to talk to defense or pitcher and keeps game moving who cares.

I will saw a few umpires in our association disagree and will stick to letter of law and HC remains inside always.

I think it's more to minimize the crap that happens with the play when they do or almost get in the way of a player or a ball or are able to get a player's attention and gain an advantage at least in the eyes of the other coach etc.

The good news is that higher you go the less you have to deal with this.  Pro and college coaches are rarely out of the dugout.

I don't full disagree with you.  I have been told by a personal injury lawyer that if he gets smoked by a baseball inside or outside dugout will not change the outcome.  Each lawyer will find their loophole and whoever is best wins.  There are so many safety things we can banter and do not want to get off topic, but like I find games moves better if you don't have to keep looking over to get HC in dugout if he is a fence sitter.

In my experience, I've told a coach no more than twice, simply because the second one comes with a stern warning.

(Playing devil's advocate)

Watch an MLB spring game. Why are the coaches on chairs outside the dugout?

I think you see this more in the older ST parks. The dugouts simply are not big enough for all the guys and all the coaches/manager. They move outside to see the game. 

In any high school game, I'm making sure everyone's in the dugout. Maybe a lawyer can find a loophole if someone gets hit INSIDE the dugout, but he doesn't need any loophole if a coach gets slammed by a foul liner while he's outside the bench area. That's on me and there's no defense. 

I don't full disagree with you.  I have been told by a personal injury lawyer that if he gets smoked by a baseball inside or outside dugout will not change the outcome.  Each lawyer will find their loophole and whoever is best wins.

The vast majority of the time, the coach being inside the dugout will cause him not to get smoked by the ball in the first place, thus changing the outcome.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

H.S. level, its always safety first. Gotta be in the dugout.

For anything lower, if I am telling you to get back in the dugout, it means you were a rat and you have my attention. Otherwise, as long as there aren't five of 'em- a rat pack (not to be confused with The Rat Pack) or under-age coaches, I'm staying between the white lines.

• Like 1

H.S. level, its always safety first.

Kinda odd because around here most of the HS dugouts offer very little protection since since they are more like MLB style dugouts

I was at a cactus league game last week, and was surprised to see a protective fence in front of the dugouts . . . don't recall ever seeing that before in a pro setting.

The good news is that higher you go the less you have to deal with this. Pro and college coaches are rarely out of the dugout.

We see it. But we don't really worry about. Ain't that big of a deal and making a big show of holding the game up over it usually just show you out as green.