Had a bad game

DanB009
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4054 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a plate game. And as happens sometimes was not the best game. It seemed like the harder I tried, the harder it got. The coaches were not complaining, only got a few looks from players but the spectators were. LOL.

Anyway, after the game I let the coaches know. "I had a tough one today, you'll get better tomorrow " . Both were good and home coach even said " there's always tomorrow". I have done this in the past on a few occasions. My partner didn't agree with this. What are the opinions here?

That's something that you don't say.  You don't want to give the coaches bullets for the next game.  When you leave the field silence is golden.  If you are not good at the age group that you were working work the age group before that one and get better at it so you can get back to that age group.  If that doesn't work hang the equipment and become a coach. 

Also is not quitting what I'm advocating is staying on high school until you are sure that you can handle College.

Really? One bad game and you advocate quitting? Wow.

Then you open the thread to "hear" (read) what you want to "hear" (read).

Also is not quitting what I'm advocating is staying on high school until you are sure that you can handle College.

Not what I am saying(writing). Not looking for reassurance from coaches or anyone here. But to advocate what what you did is something else. I am talking about "manning up" and not acting as if I or we don't have bad games. Remember the blown perfect game call two years ago? Imagine how well that would have went had the umpire in question not been a man and admitted he had a bad game. That is what I am talking about!

If you've already got a great relationship with both coaches AND you've already got a solid, established reputation in the league as a good umpire, yea it's not the end of the world to say this VERY rarely. But failing that, 'manning up' as you say will be very damaging. It might be ok today - but what about that tough game next time, when the coach is coming off a 4 game losing streak and worried the new AD is just looking for an excuse to get his guy? This is his job. Unless you've already got that solid, established reputation, you're just opening yourself up to "I thought you were going to get better" or worse.

• Like 1

Reassurance is what was done when you talked to the coaches.  That is not man up, everybody have bad games but talking to coaches about it is crossing a line that you don't want to cross.  Coaches that have been long enough knows when an umpire is having a bad day.  Did Joyce went to Leyland after the game?

• Like 1

I hear you guys and understand. Will take your advice. I appreciate it. This is what these forums are about. Knocking these ideas about. Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't think I need to hang it up and coach. Been there and done that. I probably was harder on myself than I needed to be. Thanks...much appreciated. I now have a double header today with these teams. Will let you know how it goes. 

I would recommend not saying anything to the coach you wouldn't want him saying to you. If it's ok with you for him to say "Had a tough one, huh Danny?"then by all means. I post game with my partner(s) and if I feel I had it rough, we'll talk about it between us umps.

Relax. It happens. Just don't let it happen too often :D

I'm with Scrounge, Jocko, and to some extent with gn. I would rather say sorry to my partner for my bad game then going and searching out the coaches. I dint want the cheap shots from the teams to come if I have close calls that go against them.

You going to run someone if they say, as Scrounge said, "thought you were going to be better today?"

I mean... you did tell them that and so far you haven't. At least according to their opinion.

Did Joyce went to Leyland after the game?

From the account I heard (firsthand) Jimmy came in the locker room and they had a cig together.

But that would be apples and oranges to this situation.

Chin up-keep moving forward. And no need to say anything to the coaches.

• Like 1

Two banger went better. Teams did not play well with multiple errors in the field and in the bases. Game temperature was below freezing.

The scores in the final 2 of the series were more baseball like with game 2 being 5-3 and game 3 being 8-5 in extra. Again, errors and poor pitching cost the games for the one team who got swept.

The issues on Saturday were never mentioned. Had several bangers on the base where, got the call right, but game tied might have been a time to argue one for the team. Didn't happen. Anyway, thanks all and have good seasons.

Remember coaches and players are "rats" in the pro game. I wouldnt say boo to any of them other than professional pleasantries surrounding the game (plate conference, lineup changes etc.). Remeber Miranda warnings "anything you say can and will be used against you", "you have the right to remain silent", I always invoke silence when applicable.  True story last week, early season non conference div 3 matchup, teams from Virginia and Conn. Northern team first time outside just happy to get some games in.  DH, first game won 6-5 by Northern team, no real issues, a few close plays.  After a total takeout in front of the bag toward the infield grass, I call a force play on northern team.  Coach comes out as he crossed infield states "can I get at least one 50/50 call today", I pointed out the clear slide marks almost in the grass where his guy creamed SS, he noticed but did not say anything back.  Second game ,Now my plate goes 4 full innings and were playing in the dark, cloudy day and no sun.  I confered with my partner,he confirmed visibility issues on the bases, Northern team winning 8-1 I think, home coach came out to say his guys not seeing the pitches. I decided to call game, its not a complete or suspended game goes into book as no game, no stats count.  Northern coach furious asked "who called this game you or home coach"? stated "he just wants his hitters good at bats to count", "can we go a bit further". I am firm we are done due to player safety.  He cheap shots as I am leaving "thats totally unprofessional" "you just wanted to screw my kids".  Now I know its all about the win that he feels was taken away, it simply was too dark, thats my liability out there.  Coach more concerned with a cheap early season win that player safety, my judgement or any other game concerns. This illustrates all I need to know or say about the "rats".  Kids could have taken a pitch to the head but he would get his win if we could do 5 innings.  Typical coach attitude, typical coach behavior

Because of the circumstances (game is over, people are probably leaving the field, etc), is this something most of you vets would just let slide?

"you just wanted to screw my kids"

Because of the circumstances (game is over, people are probably leaving the field, etc), is this something most of you vets would just let slide?

"you just wanted to screw my kids"

If I can identify the person who said it as a player or coach, I will eject.  If it is a fan or I am not sure who said it, let it go.

This will get a letter written to my assigner/commissioner and thusly to the state since both Oregon and Washington do not have a post game ejection.

There is no state separation in collegiate baseball. There is a post game ejection everywhere.

Don't make the mistake of fraternizing with coaches. It doesn't look good to anyone watching. Write it down and go over it again at the end of your season for improvement next year. Everyone has these games whether they admit it or not. Just don't let em see you sweat ;)

• Like 1

A bad game is just that,a bad game. Look at why you had trouble, learn from it and do better next time. Do not say squat to the coaches, nothing, none of their business. Talk to your partner and find out what you were doing wrong, too fast, not in slot, too high/ low, whatever. Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2