tldavis19

Diamond ix3 Chest Protector

I have a Diamond ix3 chest protector and i was wondering if anyone else here used one and what they thought of it. I've used it for a year and i was wondering if this was a good one to stick with for the long haul or if i should be saving to upgrade sometime in the future? I like the CP but it doesn't have any actual plastic for protection, just high impact foam. I call HS and down at the moment so its not like I'm doing any major college ball.

Not to make this post any longer, but I just wanna say that I'm new to the site and love it so far. I've learned so much just in my first day of reading and seeing what you guys think about different situations. I hope to learn as much as I can! Thanks! Name's Terry by the way.

post-2384-0-70088900-1361494616.jpg

I used one when I first started. I put it in the trash the first time I got hit by an F1 with decent velocity.

Get you a hard shell quickly!

I used this for the first two years calling high school. I never called above JV then and it was fine. But Jax is right...any higher up than that, and you are asking for trouble. I did a JV tourney game once and a kid was throwing around 80 or so (it was at a MiLB park with a radar gun that showed the speed on the scoreboard). I took a foul to my chest and bought a hardshell that night. It didn't bruise or really hurt that much at all, but it made my heart feel funny for a moment and that was enough. 

Welcome Terry. It is a personal choice. So I will give you my opinion. I umpire for fun. I have a day job that pays the bills. Getting hurt is no fun. Missing work due to injury doesn't make the payments. Therefore I buy and wear the best gear that I can acquire to make sure, to the best of my ability, that bad things don't happen. The cost difference between the very best pro level CP and the very worst foam CP is about $100. My ER co-pay is $200. I did the math and bought a hard shell. I didn't wait until i had hard evidence that my old gear was no longer up to the task. There are some great ones out there and they all fit a little different. IMO you cant go wrong with an AllStar, a Douglas or a Wilson. Find some one who has one and try them on. Another thing to consider is that pro gear is easily resold and retains its most of its value. The other stuff not so much. Good luck.

• Like 2

I've been looking at the one that Jocko suggested, has anyone ever used one? The reviews on the site sound good, but I always like an in depth opinion.

I would like to try a UE, but unfortunately i have to be cost effective as well. The Champion looks good and I've seen nothing bad about it. Oh and it fits my budget lol

• Like 1

I use one and it works great. Stays in place and I don't feel a thing on the occasional shot to it.

Although, the ball is not moving very fast in t-ball and coach pitch.

I ordered it form 1 Stop Sports. $50 new from a seller I trust

in Alabama?

They're not my favorite, but I buy from them when I need it now. They're on my way to work.

in Alabama?yeah

Which one they sent you?  The velcro version that they show on the photo in their website or the riveted version?

I've stocked my LL umpire closet with the rivited Champions. Every size, to fit my adults and Junior umpires. Got 'em all off of ebay dirt cheap. Good, not great, protection, as the padding is thin. Fine for lower level ball, but if the ball is coming at 80+, I'd go stronger. (I've seen 80 twice from 12 year olds, from 46', so choose wisely).

I had a guy working for me that had that Diamond. I know he also did varsity ball, so I bought him a Gold.

• Like 1

I have a P210 and a WV Platinum.  I'd wear either for HS ball.  Get the biceps protectors. 

I've stocked my LL umpire closet with the rivited Champions. Every size, to fit my adults and Junior umpires. Got 'em all off of ebay dirt cheap. Good, not great, protection, as the padding is thin. Fine for lower level ball, but if the ball is coming at 80+, I'd go stronger. (I've seen 80 twice from 12 year olds, from 46', so choose wisely).

I had a guy working for me that had that Diamond. I know he also did varsity ball, so I bought him a Gold.

What am I getting for xmas?

I have a P210 and a WV Platinum.  I'd wear either for HS ball.  Get the biceps protectors. 

You are kidding right?

What am I getting for xmas?

Coal!  :BD:

I'd love to drop the cash for a gold or platinum but I just don't have it. And idk which era of P210 it is I haven't recieved it yet. Should be here today though

It's the riveted one. I sent them an email saying they need to update their photo and description. It's a pretty stout protector though. My girlfriend hit it an I felt nothing.