Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4058 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

..........I was NOT actually ......

I was NOT tracking the ball ALL THE WAY into the mitt with my eyes!  Yeah, yeah, go ahead, ........................I know, I know! :smachhead:

Come to find out, I was tracking it with my eyes right into the front edge of the plate, (where I like to invision seeing an imaginary pane of glass), but I wasn't finishing the tracking into the mitt ...

WOW, ...all it took was an instructor to see that and go over a few things, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  It just 'feels' better, and the view is so much better!  Now, I'll only suck 1/2 as bad :shakehead:

It's just a testament to the value of going to a professional clinic! :hi5:

• Like 1

How could he tell? I'm assuming watching you makes it easy. What was the fix? I have a feeling I'm doing something similar.
It was a clinic so we were using pitching machines and the instructor was standing in what would be the right hand batter's box but his back was to the pitcher and he was facing me and watching my eyes when a pitch would come in Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't square to the pitcher.  30 seconds into my first cage session and my instructor had it solved.  I was dropping my back foot too far which in turn forced my hips and shoulders to turn.  I struggle with tunnel vision at times Jeff.   That's great that you received that help.

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't square to the pitcher.  30 seconds into my first cage session and my instructor had it solved.  I was dropping my back foot too far which in turn forced my hips and shoulders to turn.  I struggle with tunnel vision at times Jeff.   That's great that you received that help.

I kind of had the feeling that I did that and knew it wasn't right.  I was looking forward to someone seeing it, ...it didn't take long! :D

I'd like to see myself on video. We all have a vision in our mind's eye of how we look mechanically. I'd like to see for myself. I'm sure I'd want to change some things.

It's VERY ENLIGHTENING!   I don't mind my mechanics at all, in fact, I thought I looked pretty good..... ...I just hate my personal mannerisms, much like most people can't stand their own voice on tape ....  :D

Maybe I can get a short clip of my sessions to post here?!

I'd like to see myself on video. We all have a vision in our mind's eye of how we look mechanically. I'd like to see for myself. I'm sure I'd want to change some things.

I just hate my personal mannerisms, much like most people can't stand their own voice on tapeEXACTLY what I was thinking when I posted.

A useful tool when you guys train your own umpires:

After a random pitch during cage work, ask your umpire what brand of glove the catcher is wearing.

Helps them know they need to track all the way to the glove.

I meant to ask this question right after the clinic and forgot.

Everything I heard at the clinic was very smart, they knew what they were doing, and it was great and made sense. Except one thing.

I brought both my 4 stitch plate and 8 stitch base cap with me. It annoys me to wear the 8 stich with the mask, and it looks stupid to have the 4 stitch on the bases. A bit OCD, yes, but whatever, right?

In my last cage session, the first thing the instructor said to me was that he never wanted to see me in a "beanie" again. To be clear, I know what a beanie is, and this wasn't one. It was a four stitch plate cap bought off of UA.

I looked at the instructor a bit puzzled, and took off the cap to show him the bill... He said something to the effect of "I don't need to see it, as soon as you get the funds, get yourself a 6 or 8 stitch cap."

The conversation ended about the cap after this, and the instructor went on to help me a LOT with my stance and strike call. He was very knowledgable and knew what he was talking about with working the plate. But was this just an opinion about the four stitch caps or is this actually something that many evaluators and instructors dislike? I'd just like to know before I purchase my 2013 caps.

He said something to the effect of "I don't need to see it, as soon as you get the funds, get yourself a 6 or 8 stitch cap."

The conversation ended about the cap after this, and the instructor went on to help me a LOT with my stance and strike call. He was very knowledgable and knew what he was talking about with working the plate. But was this just an opinion about the four stitch caps or is this actually something that many evaluators and instructors dislike? I'd just like to know before I purchase my 2013 caps.

he was just proving that umpires are infallible if they want to be.

Combo hat only for me. Creased.

Matt,

First of all, out of curiosity, who was this? (I have my reasons)

Second:

For the last two seasons I've been wearing 6 stitch caps period.  They're SUPER easy with a mask, and they still look good on the bases.  If you're doing MHSAA games, you'll have to get both because they only do 4 and 8 stitch.

Finally, ... at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   If you look good, your hat is clean and you're bustin' your a$$, no one will say anything to you.  This comment was obviously this instructors pet-peeve

• Like 1

Matt,

Second:

For the last two seasons I've been wearing 6 stitch caps period.  They're SUPER easy with a mask, and they still look good on the bases.  If you're doing MHSAA games, you'll have to get both because they only do 4 and 8 stitch.

Finally, ... at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   If you look good, your hat is clean and you're bustin' your a$$, no one will say anything to you.  This comment was obviously this instructors pet-peeve

What my man said.    Remember these instructors bring to the table all of their own pet peeves.  Glean out the good stuff that will work for you and discard the rest. 

• Like 1

I only wear a 6 stitch on the dish and 8 stitch on the pads...I hate the look of a 4 stitch and we have one guy in our group that wears a beanie...It's really hard not to laugh at him.

I love the advice about the brand of catchers mitt. I will have to use that on the younger guys I work with...

Matt,

Second:

Thanks for the advice!

I've tried like hell to figure out who this was, and I can't! He doesn't seem to be listed on the website, but I could describe him very easily. Gray bushy mustache, kind of older, a little larger than me but not much, and about my height, maybe a smidge shorter.

Matt, First of all, out of curiosity, who was this? (I have my reasons)   Second: For the last two seasons I've been wearing 6 stitch caps period.  They're SUPER easy with a mask, and they still look good on the bases.  If you're doing MHSAA games, you'll have to get both because they only do 4 and 8 stitch.   Finally, ... at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   If you look good, your hat is clean and you're bustin' your a$$, no one will say anything to you.  This comment was obviously this instructors pet-peeve   Thanks for the advice!   I've tried like hell to figure out who this was, and I can't! He doesn't seem to be listed on the website, but I could describe him very easily. Gray bushy mustache, kind of older, a little larger than me but not much, and about my height, maybe a smidge shorter.
Dan Jeffries Sr? Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Matt,

Second:

Thanks for the advice!

I've tried like hell to figure out who this was, and I can't! He doesn't seem to be listed on the website, but I could describe him very easily. Gray bushy mustache, kind of older, a little larger than me but not much, and about my height, maybe a smidge shorter.

Dan Jeffries Sr?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I don't believe so. I never saw him at lunch. He was working the video review on Saturday. He was working next to the current minor league umpire on Sunday.

How could he tell? I'm assuming watching you makes it easy. What was the fix? I have a feeling I'm doing something similar.

When I am instructing at my HS association's clinics I get on a knee about 10 feet in front of the umpire. I have to have faith in the pitcher/pitching machine not to hit me in the back of the head.

I watch the umpires eyes. If he is tracking the ball correctly more times than not your eyes while open, your lids will block me from seeing your pupils. You can actually see the eyes properly tracking the ball. 

I had all the class last weekend take turns standing with me while ump81 demonstrated both proper use of the eyes and tunnel vision. so they could see what I see. It was rather funny ump81 had a difficult time not tracking the ball. 

Speaking from experience. It is more difficult to tell when you are doing it incorrectly until you start doing it correctly, then you can feel the difference is night and day.

It all depends on where and who you work for if this is going to be a big deal.  I know around me and the levels I do.  We all pretty much wear 6's and 8's.  I personally only use 6 stitches so I only have to keep a few different hats in my bag.  Rube will be glad to hear you still remember his hints Alex.  Also on top of the brand of glove.  What is the color of the glove, is the catchers finger in or out, and is the catcher wearing a batting glove.  Just little things to recenter yourself on tracking. 

• Like 1

When I am instructing at my HS association's clinics I get on a knee about 10 feet in front of the umpire. I have to have faith in the pitcher/pitching machine not to hit me in the back of the head.

I watch the umpires eyes. If he is tracking the ball correctly more times than not your eyes while open, your lids will block me from seeing your pupils. You can actually see the eyes properly tracking the ball. 

I had all the class last weekend take turns standing with me while ump81 demonstrated both proper use of the eyes and tunnel vision. so they could see what I see. It was rather funny ump81 had a difficult time not tracking the ball. 

Speaking from experience. It is more difficult to tell when you are doing it incorrectly until you start doing it correctly, then you can feel the difference is night and day.

There it is, ............right there!!!!!!! :D

• Like 1

I thought of this thread today and made it a point to track the WHOLE pitch. Apparently, I thought I was before, but, as someone posted above, I didn't know I wasn't until I was. Good thread.

• Like 1

I thought of this thread today and made it a point to track the WHOLE pitch. Apparently, I thought I was before, but, as someone posted above, I didn't know I wasn't until I was. Good thread.

Then how did you miss so many while I was watching  ?   :unsure:

• Like 2