I've heard of this happening...

Daniel
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4076 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm confused by this... Was he not wearing a mask because he was stupid, and when he took a ball off the CP, realized he should put it on OR... was he "dazed" by a prior pitch and didn't realize he wasn't wearing a mask until the ball hit him in the CP, as the title of the video implies?

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it? To be wearing plate shoes, but no mask?

:question1:  :HS

I had a partner once say "play ball" in a HS Varsity game and as I was about to yell out "TIME!" he called it himself and said to the catcher but loud enough for everyone, "you know what I forgot, the grill." He is one of the better umpires in that area, so it happens to the best of them.

I'm embarrassed to say that I let my partner take a pitch without his mask. He set his mask down (I know)...and I didn't notice until the other team noticed. This was baseball. I felt terrible for not noticing.

Shame on you!

One game my partner shows up about five minutes before game time. He has the plate and is all dressed with gear on when he arrives. I gently mention things about arriving early, pre game, a phone call, etc.... As i was getting out of my plate gear he proceeds to lecture me about nagging him and that's why he gets away from his wife. He was about 25 years my senior and obviously thought i would benefit from his wisdom. Okay Pops, not another word from me. As we are walking the quarter of a mile to the back field I notice he doesn't have his mask. Not wanting to be a nag, I kept silent. He figured it out when we go to the field after he went through a complete pat down routine even checking his pockets. He even had the balls to look at me and before he said a word i just shook my head no. The game started about fifteen minutes late and he got in some aerobic exercise. I didn't feel all that bad. To make it worse he lost the count at least half a dozen times during the game.

When I have the bases I will always ask the PU if he has everything and/or give him the once over. When I am on the dish I tap each shin, cup and CP with my mask. i also touch my indicator, brush and keys as I leave the car. I always touch them. My own OCD routine.

I once forgot ball bags (quick change between games). That was the downside of wearing combo pants.

When I have the bases I will always ask the PU if he has everything and/or give him the once over. When I am on the dish I tap each shin, cup and CP with my mask. i also touch my indicator, brush and keys as I leave the car. I always touch them. My own OCD routine.

Same here, but after checking the protective gear, I touch my mask with my right hand, then pat my ball bags to check for indicator, brush, lineup card holder and pen.

Giving each other a quick once-over is part of the pre-game. Make sure your partner looks the part. If he missed a loop or collar is jacked up, TELL HIM! You don't want to walk on the field not looking like the best crew ever to call a game. My $.02 YMMV

Boyinr, I fully understand the desire to feed this jackwagon a bite of humble pie, but not at the expense of the professionalism of the crew. Now you BOTH look like dillweeds for not starting on time.

• Like 1

Giving each other a quick once-over is part of the pre-game. Make sure your partner looks the part. If he missed a loop or collar is jacked up, TELL HIM! You don't want to walk on the field not looking like the best crew ever to call a game. My $.02 YMMV

Boyinr, I fully understand the desire to feed this jackwagon a bite of humble pie, but not at the expense of the professionalism of the crew. Now you BOTH look like dillweeds for not starting on time.

While I agree with you in theory. Sometimes sacrifices must be made!

Giving each other a quick once-over is part of the pre-game. Make sure your partner looks the part. If he missed a loop or collar is jacked up, TELL HIM! You don't want to walk on the field not looking like the best crew ever to call a game. My $.02 YMMVBoyinr, I fully understand the desire to feed this jackwagon a bite of humble pie, but not at the expense of the professionalism of the crew. Now you BOTH look like dillweeds for not starting on time.

While I agree with you in theory. Sometimes sacrifices must be made!agreed. But I won't martyr myself, or the perception of the crew's image, just to prove a point. Instead, I'd probably say something along this line:

"Hey (insert HP name), you might wanna grab your mask"

In the interest of brevity I omitted some facts. I had just completed a DH on a really hot, hot day and was on my way home and was asked to go and work a third game on the bases. I hustled to get there on time and waited for him to show. I touched base with the coaches to let them know i was here. He didnt have a cell number on the roster and his wife said he left "a while ago". With fifteen minutes to go I get my plate gear on. He then rolls up with his gear all on. He gets out and is wearing his lunch on a powder blue shirt with the wrong trim colors. His heather pants were wrinkled,too short and were held up by his old dress belt. His shoes looked like he polished them with a candy bar. Then the comments from him cemented the day. Tthroughout the game he proceeded to drink the players water ( he didn't bring any) and chatted with the fans instead of counting warm up pitches. It was so ridiculous I looked for the hidden camera and Aston Kutcher. I was sure i was getting "Punked". To top it off, the check they gave me bounced. One of those days. Never before and never again. It was a perfect storm.

Not exactly germane to this sit but when you walk onto the field with your mask under your armpit don't hang it on a dugout pole because you needed both arms to attend to whatever I had to attend to next.

Dude!  That's what the mask hook is for!!   :fuel:

In the interest of brevity I omitted some facts. I had just completed a DH on a really hot, hot day and was on my way home and was asked to go and work a third game on the bases. I hustled to get there on time and waited for him to show. I touched base with the coaches to let them know i was here. He didnt have a cell number on the roster and his wife said he left "a while ago". With fifteen minutes to go I get my plate gear on. He then rolls up with his gear all on. He gets out and is wearing his lunch on a powder blue shirt with the wrong trim colors. His heather pants were wrinkled,too short and were held up by his old dress belt. His shoes looked like he polished them with a candy bar. Then the comments from him cemented the day. Tthroughout the game he proceeded to drink the players water ( he didn't bring any) and chatted with the fans instead of counting warm up pitches. It was so ridiculous I looked for the hidden camera and Aston Kutcher. I was sure i was getting "Punked". To top it off, the check they gave me bounced. One of those days. Never before and never again. It was a perfect storm.

Was it THIS guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIUp0TPQHcM