2013 Season Starting a little different

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4084 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This year will be a couple of firsts for me. The biggest thing is I am now on a DII conference staff. But will still primarily be a High School umpire. 

My first game will be 2/9 this year. And man am I counting the days. I have been assigned the plate and I'm pumped, but...for the last week I've been trying to find a way to look at some pitches before then to no avail. Generally I've had some scrimmages to help shake out the rust, but between weather and my availability lately I will not have any scrimmages for about a month when HS season begins. By then I'll have either shaken the rust off or have it beaten off of me. 3 months w/ no pitches is a long time. So this will be fun.

• Like 4

Best of luck Warren!  I have my first college assignment ever this season on March 2nd, a good 10 days or so before any HS games.  Same jittery feeling here =)  Maybe take a catcher out to the batting cages?  Hoping in the near future there are virtual reality videos to download showing pitches from the umpire point of view.

• Like 1

may get my wish. I was just informed of a scrimmage Saturday. Now if the rain and/or snow that is in the forecast will just hold off. Oh and my wife's bad attitude needs to clear4 rup too as she had plans for Sat she's ticked she may have to cancel if I have to head out of town. 

Very cool Warren!  The last three years I have worked alot of DIII and DII games, 90% non-conf.  Like you, I broke through this last fall and worked hard to get a staff job with a great Assn.  I'll be traveling quite a bit, but it's worth it in the long run.

My first Non-Conf game this year is 2/3, just about 10 days away, and i'm trying to talk my partner into letting me get the dish from him!  In the mean time I got my two primary assignors to put feelers out for scrimmage work, and I too just landed one for this Sunday afternoon.  Gonna be a long weekend for sure, all day Saturday in ATL for the meeting, a long ride home, but I will be ready to strap it on Sunday!

Congrats Warren,  as for seeing pitch just working on tracking any and everything at home while not moving your head.  And then breath and go back to basics when the first few pitches set in.  Good luck and don't suck 2013!

This reminds me of an exercise I was taught some where to lie on your back throw a rolled up pair of socks up track it as it comes at you.

Ive tried this before. Sadly with my lab mix trying to also catch the sock, cattle dog pestering me, female mini dachshund trying to cuddle, and my boy mini dachshund trying to lick my face off... I do not think I would even get in one toss.

Ive tried this before. Sadly with my lab mix trying to also catch the sock, cattle dog pestering me, female mini dachshund trying to cuddle, and my boy mini dachshund trying to lick my face off... I do not think I would even get in one toss.

________________________________________________________________________________

I have two mini dachshunds too and they would each have one of the socks and be tearing them apart if I tried that.  

• 2 weeks later...