Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3835 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For those in the group that purchased UE CP . I'm curious about you're experience so far , and up to what level ball you have worked . The buzz around this product seems to have died down since this past summer/fall . Any feed back is encouraged , if what i have read  on the JE site is accurate , some additional new products are coming in the future ? There is one gentleman , here in my local area that purchased  the UE  , he doesn't work HS , but does some travel ball 16u and up otherwise he does youth ball mostly . I haven't spoken to him in a  few months , I will see him soon at a meeting later this month .

Marc

I just picked one up at the NCAA Clinic and held it. Selling for $199. Not interested. It would have to perform magic for it to absorb enough impact for me to be happy. Tried on the prototype shinguards. I may be interested in those. They fit well and were quite comfortable. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I was one of the early (read impulse) buyers of the UE CP . I never wore in a gm , i tried some self testing at home . didn't feel comfortable with the product , and returned it . I will say that Jason was very accommodating , and a credit was prompt . 

My all-star 4000 CP , is to this point my favorite , then my 15"Douglas . 

marc

When Jim Evans got hurt testing that contraption, AND the UE folks still used that video to spearhead their advertising campaign, that sealed it for me. I mean, how dumb can you get?

Now, on the the other hand, look at the videos endorsing the Nutty Buddy. That cat gets blasted, and just laughs it off.

That UE protector may be the best ever designed, but stupid marketing doomed it.

When Jim Evans got hurt testing that contraption, AND the UE folks still used that video to spearhead their advertising campaign, that sealed it for me. I mean, how dumb can you get?

Now, on the the other hand, look at the videos endorsing the Nutty Buddy. That cat gets blasted, and just laughs it off.

That UE protector may be the best ever designed, but stupid marketing doomed it.

When did JE get hurt?

When Jim Evans got hurt testing that contraption, AND the UE folks still used that video to spearhead their advertising campaign, that sealed it for me. I mean, how dumb can you get? Now, on the the other hand, look at the videos endorsing the Nutty Buddy. That cat gets blasted, and just laughs it off. That UE protector may be the best ever designed, but stupid marketing doomed it. When did JE get hurt?
------------------------ You couldn't tell it hurt him?

When did JE get hurt?

------------------------

You couldn't tell it hurt him? -------------------------------

Nevermind I see it now. I had never seen the whole video before.

I guess what I don't understand from all the naysayers is that this CP is at a minimum as protective as F2's CP's and we never say a word about those.  

I haven't been hit with mine yet, but I have a steady diet of college ball coming up in February and March where I will also be wearing this CP.  

We shall see.

I will report back if/when I get hit.  Right now the thing seems like a ball repellant...if that's the case, it's priceless.

I guess what I don't understand from all the naysayers is that this CP is at a minimum as protective as F2's CP's and we never say a word about those.  

I haven't been hit with mine yet, but I have a steady diet of college ball coming up in February and March where I will also be wearing this CP.  

We shall see.

I will report back if/when I get hit.  Right now the thing seems like a ball repellant...if that's the case, it's priceless.

Oh, come on you wuss! Go to a batting cage already and get it over with!! ;)

• Like 1

I guess it's because I'm not a catcher.

Plus, I'm not looking for minimum protection. Quite the opposite.

• Like 1

It's America, so wear what you want.

When I started out, I wore a ribbed protector. In a 10u game, I took a square shot to the chest. I was goofy, and off balance for days. My wife's uncle (one of the three fellows who invented modern CPR, and a pretty good heart surgeon) said the blow messed with my heart's electrical system.

Since then, I wear pro gear. Hard shell protection that laughs at shots to my chest, not make me yelp like a school girl, or get bruised in the process.

To me, the Unequal is unproven. They brag about it being superior, but no one that has one has ever stated that here. Read about what the umpires at Evan's camp said about it. Watch the video of the guy taking shots in the cage. Then, find that video of Joe West taking a fouled off fast ball square on, and not even flinching. THAT'S what I'm looking for in protection. Now, if someone can top that, by being lighter, slimmer or cooler, I'll buy it. I'm not worried about the price tag, just the protection.

As for the catchers c/p, they're in a completely different position, and very rarely take a ball directly to the chest. Yeah, they take those 58' curveballs, but that's a different story.

I would love to see some scientific data on this thing. Accelerometers, ballistics gel. Shoot, even en egg. Something showing the UE taking the impact away from the body of the wearer. Hey Moto, did any of the shots you took hurt? Bruising?

As for the catchers c/p, they're in a completely different position, and very rarely take a ball directly to the chest. Yeah, they take those 58' curveballs, but that's a different story.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess it's because I'm not a catcher.

Plus, I'm not looking for minimum protection. Quite the opposite.

exactly

I am with Johnny on the UE. I was an early adopter and I wore it for several college fall games and never took a shot at all. My first regular games are on February 2nd and I will probably strap it on.

It is extremely light and the fit is different that any other protector I have worn...as for the whole take it to a batting cage idea, I am not so sure it would actually simulate a shot from a game. Your body would be expecting a hit. Most of the time when we take shots they are off a bat and not straight pitches.

• Like 1

Concerning F2s, THEY HAVE A MITT! They are expected to move around. They almost never get hit by the very nature of their responsibility. That's why they don't wear more protection.

We, on the other hand, are expected to remain statuesque and suck up any shot that we take. We see it coming (IF we see it coming) and lock in tighter.

• Like 1