Diamond vs Wilson gear bags

tjthresh
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4713 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm considering one of these bags in a rather large gear purchase I'm getting ready to make. What make the Diamond $20 to $25 better than the Wilson. I could put that money somewhere else, bit I also want to make the right choices for long term happiness.

Tom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of the Evans bag. It holds everything I need and it is a little smaller than the largest Diamond. Never used a Diamond or pro-nine, but I could not be happier with my Evans Force3...by the way they also make great umpire socks...can't call a game without a pair on.

I have the Diamond 36" and love it. That is probably because I have to haul my stuff into locker rooms a lot, but it is still nice. My dad has the Force 3 and it is nice too. He dresses out of the car a lot, so he just kind of tosses his equipment into it and still hangs his shirts/pants.

If you have Wilson equipment then I would go with the Wilson bag. Wilson shins and platinum fit perfectly in it plus there's a lined pocket for your mask. I recommend it. I love mine.

The Wilson equipment fits fine in the Diamond bag too.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone looking to sell a bag btw?...my suitcase I was using finally gave in on me..

Drop me a PM, I might be able to help.

On the general subject...

I still have never found an adequate bag, and I am at the point of building my own if I can.

I am tall, with big feet, and I use a Carlucci protector. There is not a bag out there that I can use to carry 1 mask, a pair of plate shoes, a pair of base shoes, a set of shinguards, a chest protector, and the hats, uniforms, towels and cleaning equipment any umpire needs. For me, the major problem is that bags are not wide enough to store equipment in. Length-wise, the Diamond and the Force 3 or 5, are okay. VBut the Evans bag is made for umpires who travel on airplanes, so a bag any wider will will cost the user $$$, and the others are just about the same width. Right now in My Force 3 bag, I have the shin guards in the lower compartment on top of my clothing, then the other equipment int h top of the bag. I still am stressing the zipper and sides of the bag to fit my CP in. I am also considering building a separate carry bag for the CP to maybe fix the problem.

But the only thing that seems wide enough I have ever seen is an old, old +POS bag that looks to be five or six inches wider, and not nearly as long as the more modern bags. I keep trying to buy one from a friend, but he says the bags are shot and are falling apart on him (he uses them in his business to carry samples around).

I hope one day somebody wakes up and makes a case for people like me who need some extra width in their bag. But until then, of the two choices above, I'd use the Diamond, hands down.

http://shoppingmall.cutecat.net/store01/product/1/12773/Ricardo-Beverly-Hills-Nmotion-30-Expandable-Ultimate-Organizer-Case.html

I find with this bag I can fit the following

Top Front compartment:

-hat caddy and snacks/drinks

Top lower compartment: (this compartment also opens in the middle)

-4 Pairs of pants

-6 shirts

-2 jackets

-2 tights, 4 undershirts, jock, socks, ball bags

Top front compartment (opening from the middle)

-Mask

Main lower compartment

-1 All-American Vest

-2 pairs of shin guards (Wilson Charcoal and Rawlings ULG)

-Plate shoes New Balance

-2 Base shoes 3/4 cut and a low cut

There are also 4 mesh compartments in there for counters, brushes, Advil, bug spray etc. Also you get a PVC bag that you can use for cleaners and rags. On the top there is a small sleeve for rulebooks, binders, etc.

The best part is that the wheels are easily changed. I end up using my bag alot and with all the travel I do most wheels barely make it through the year. This bad is going on to year two without any problems.

Check this thread:

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/3386-equipment-bags/page__fromsearch__1

scroll near the bottom and you will see information about "The Blue" by No Errors. It is bigger and wider than other bags. Have not seen it in person, but it appears to be a new, expensive option.

Check this thread:

http://umpire-empire...__fromsearch__1

scroll near the bottom and you will see information about "The Blue" by No Errors. It is bigger and wider than other bags. Have not seen it in person, but it appears to be a new, expensive option.

Nothing on their site about the bag, and from it said in the thread, there is no separate compartment for clothing. At $200 for the bag, it does not look like a good deal.

I am waiting for a return e-mail from them.

http://shoppingmall....nizer-Case.html

I find with this bag I can fit the following

Top Front compartment:

-hat caddy and snacks/drinks

Top lower compartment: (this compartment also opens in the middle)

-4 Pairs of pants

-6 shirts

-2 jackets

-2 tights, 4 undershirts, jock, socks, ball bags

Top front compartment (opening from the middle)

-Mask

Main lower compartment

-1 All-American Vest

-2 pairs of shin guards (Wilson Charcoal and Rawlings ULG)

-Plate shoes New Balance

-2 Base shoes 3/4 cut and a low cut

There are also 4 mesh compartments in there for counters, brushes, Advil, bug spray etc. Also you get a PVC bag that you can use for cleaners and rags. On the top there is a small sleeve for rulebooks, binders, etc.

The best part is that the wheels are easily changed. I end up using my bag alot and with all the travel I do most wheels barely make it through the year. This bad is going on to year two without any problems.

Not currently available

Is anyone looking to sell a bag btw?...my suitcase I was using finally gave in on me..

But the only thing that seems wide enough I have ever seen is an old, old +POS bag that looks to be five or six inches wider, and not nearly as long as the more modern bags. I keep trying to buy one from a friend, but he says the bags are shot and are falling apart on him (he uses them in his business to carry samples around).

I've got a couple of the big giant +POS bags. Trouble is that they've got my name stitched on 'em, or we'd be working a deal But they are ginormous enough to carry all your gear, plus a BU.

I've got a couple of the big giant +POS bags. Trouble is that they've got my name stitched on 'em, or we'd be working a deal But they are ginormous enough to carry all your gear, plus a BU.

Kyle,

I have a magic marker and I'm not afraid to use it. I'm also able to handle paint. Let's make a deal. Send me a PM

New twist on bags.

While starting to plan for my trips to Cooperstown this summer I discovered my 36" Pro 9 bag will be considered "OVER SIZED" by the airlines.

So while it may be a great bag it is now useless for airline travel without paying a hefty over sized baggage fee.

Has anyone encountered this problem with airlines and their bags????

New twist on bags.

While starting to plan for my trips to Cooperstown this summer I discovered my 36" Pro 9 bag will be considered "OVER SIZED" by the airlines.

So while it may be a great bag it is now useless for airline travel without paying a hefty over sized baggage fee.

Yes, it is a known problem, that is why the Force 3 bag was designed like it was designed, for umpires who travel by air, who wanted to avoid extra charges. .

Don't know about the gear bag but have had golf clubs in airlines and they have never been oversized bags

There are many more golfers that fly than there are umpires that fly. UPS may ship it and deliver it for the same $$$ without having to lug it through every airport and worrying about the airline losing your gear. If UPS loses it (never had that happen) they give you the insured value. If the airline looses your gear you get a big pile of nothing.

New twist on bags.

I think the Wilson's dimensions also classify it as over-sized, but I have not yet tried taking it to a flight.