2011-12 New Balance Shoes for MLB

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I find very interesting is that new balance did all this research as to what umpires want. However to me from everything I've read they didn't do much. Things they did do. 1. More breathable lining, 2. More overall coverage/protection, 3. higher tongue (much like Reebok) 4. two color options. They didn't make them much lighter. They still look bulky. However they saved 0.5 of an ounce overall. They made the "N" even bigger and more noticeable. They didn't give it better grip (can't really tell from this picture but doesn't look like it) No Low top/ lower profile design. And in this pic I still see double ply laces that usually snap/fray in a few days. And lets not start with the base shoes.

Well I guess in 2012/13 I can hope that either NIKE or Reebok will step back up to the plate and see what they can do.

Just my $0.02 and MHO

Sorry New Balance I don't like it

They look stiff and bulky.

If you say these are stiff and bulky, What did the 450's look like to you?

Stiff and Bulky :rolleyes: Compared to my Reeboks anyway.

Yea, no joke.. I have a pair of the 450's at home, wore them for almost a season, put them up once i got my Reebok's..

BTW the new base shoe look is really ugly

I don't begrudge them one bit for trying to make their logo noticable. If they're paying money to sponsor the umpires, they want their logo visible.

I talked to some MLB guys, and they got zero dollars for wearing Reeboks. Just some free shoes. Perhaps they wised up this time around. If not, they're just a bunch of suckers. They're on TV for three hours a game in prime time. That translates into $. They should be getting cash from Majestic, Wilson and NB, not just free gear. That sponsorship money is going somewhere, guys.

I talked to some MLB guys, and they got zero dollars for wearing Reeboks. Just some free shoes.

I wouldn't complain if NB or Reebok wanted to give me some free shoes.

How many did they get? All they wanted, or just one pair per season? Only umpiring shoes, or did they get tennis/athletic shoes, too? Just for themselves, or could they get some for the family? Sometimes these deals can be just as lucrative as money.

I am not a fan of the base shoes. Especially with all the options out that we can wear on the bases. I love my mid-cut magistrate base shoes, but I cannot wait to try out my Zig Trainers that I got yesterday. I love that look. As for the plate shoes, they are not that bad. Before we had the Reeboks we would all have been drooling over them waiting for them to come out. I would try a pair a pair on...and I might at the state meeting next year, but NB has a lot of work to do to move Reebok off of its plate shoe pedestal...I like my 450s, but they collect dust now that I have Reebok plate shoes.

I am not a fan of the base shoes. Especially with all the options out that we can wear on the bases. I love my mid-cut magistrate base shoes, but I cannot wait to try out my Zig Trainers that I got yesterday. I love that look. As for the plate shoes, they are not that bad. Before we had the Reeboks we would all have been drooling over them waiting for them to come out. I would try a pair a pair on...and I might at the state meeting next year, but NB has a lot of work to do to move Reebok off of its plate shoe pedestal...I like my 450s, but they collect dust now that I have Reebok plate shoes.

Slo, please report back on those Zigs ok?? Kind of interested, although, I foresee a traction problem along with maybe a bit too much white. Yes, I like white on my shoes, but ....

Also, is the heal logo REEBOK as obnoxious as it looks online?:confused:

I am a little concerned about traction on a wet field, but I have other shoes I can wear on those days. I envision my zigs being my pretty day, good field, big game shoes. Around these parts the better teams typically play on the better fields. The Reebok on the back is very large. Not sure why, but I know that Reebok does that from time to time on their shoes. Not nearly as understated as the MLB logo is on the heel of my base magistrates. These shoes certainly have more white than anything I have ever worn on the field, but I think they will be kind of fun. Plus they keep that baseball shoe look that the air max models leave behind.