Sign in to follow this  
live18

ASA National School in Olympia Washington

Valentine's Day weekend the ASA is putting on a national umpire school in Olympia, WA. Camp fee is $80. Pay for your own room. There will be everything a ASA umpire will want to see. Slow and Fastpitch plate mechanics, equipment sales and access to the top ASA national staff. Email wasanus@comcast.net or call 888-319-5327 for more info. Registration forms are on the website at washingtonasa.com

The weekend was good. The school was mainly geared to newer umpires, but the update of current mechanics was great for a veteran like myself. Larry Montgomery was the main instructor. He and Walt Stack(from North Dakota) were great. My mentor's grandson had a great time. If you can attend a National School in your area I encourage you to do so.

I will be attending the ASA National Training School at Toms River, NJ on March 6-8.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by LMSANS
fix date

Valentine's Day weekend the ASA is putting on a national umpire school in Olympia, WA. Camp fee is $80. Pay for your own room. There will be everything a ASA umpire will want to see. Slow and Fastpitch plate mechanics, equipment sales and access to the top ASA national staff. Email wasanus@comcast.net or call 888-319-5327 for more info. Registration forms are on the website at washingtonasa.com

Could not make it, was there many Peninsula Umpire Association there? Hope it is done again next year?

According the Bill Silves, and I spoke with him at the NUS in Olympia this year, the advanced school is coming to the Portland-Hillsboro area in 2010. This is a great chance to get hands-on mechanics instruction before and after real games. They usually have a small tournament in conjunction with the school so you get immediate feedback. The only drawback in the cost involved. You pay your own camp fee, room and food. You get some game fees with back from worked games, but the upfront cost can be considerable.

As far as the NUS, I do not know about the 2010 for Region 15. It is usually on a every other year basis for this part of the country.

I will be attending my first ASA National School , Friday, February 19 - Sunday, February 21. I have heard many positive things regarding school, so I am quite anxious to attend. Plan on purchasing some new equipment and apparel, save on shipping costs.

If anyone who reads this is going :Horse: send a reply.

I attended the national school in Toms River, NJ last year. It is worthwhile training.

If you do baseball & softball, make sure you do the softball mechanics. I was tracking the pitch with my eyes (fast pitch) and the lead instructor said to me "Did you see that ball all the way in?"

"yes, I did."

"I think your lying because you didn't move your head to follow it.":WTF

"In Baseball we don't move our head and track the ball all the way into the glove."

"really?, I never heard of that before.":question1:

Lesson learned, when in Rome, do as the romans do.:Horse:

Other than that a good training vehicle.

Thanks for the heads up! Yes I do both baseball and softball, or I should say this season is my first for HS baseball, did JH and LL last summer and early fall.

You do both correct ? What equipment do you have for baseball and softball, speaking mainly of CP and shin guards .

Do you umpire ASA or NSA ?

Don't forget to take your girlfriend or wife along ;) since you will be away on Valentine's Weekend. :D

Thanks for the heads up! Yes I do both baseball and softball, or I should say this season is my first for HS baseball, did JH and LL last summer and early fall.

You do both correct ? What equipment do you have for baseball and softball, speaking mainly of CP and shin guards .

Do you umpire ASA or NSA ?

When it comes to softball,I do mostly hs and then a couple of ASA tourneys. I only do fastpitch. I use the same equipment. I'm not the equipment hound a lot of guys are.

This year my cp will be a WV platinum and the Honigs K## minimal shin guards (courtesy of Santa). I use an hsm. I have been hit with a softball and I'm not sure where the soft comes from. Previously I used a Wilson cp (plated, but I don't know the model) and UmpShins. They worked great from 12u softball up to college level baseball. I have the same expectation of the new ones.

Just returned from ASA National School in South Bend, IN, WOW!!, what a terrific experience!! The staff there in Indiana works you so that when it's time to leave, you've gone through routine scenarios as well as deviations. Julie Johnson is a fantastic trainer.

Can't wait for softball season to start to put into practice what I've learned. Registration was only $100.00 and we stayed at Marriott in South Bend, nice hotel. If you ever have a chance to go to National School jump on it, you'll never regret it.

I would like to know what the cost of the ASA National School- Tom's River, NJ is and is full yet.

I don't believe they ar ehosting a national clinic in Toms River this year. I didn't get anything from my ASA association about it.:)

Sorry I'm late with this. In 2009 the NJ ASA Chapter hosted the national clinic in Toms River, NJ. Every 2 years NJ hosts a National ASA clinic the next one will be in 2011, where exactly I'm not sure of yet. The costs are usually less than $100 for registration for the weekend but can be higher.

Julie is a great gal. She was the ASA National Rep at the last National Clinic I attended in 2007 in NJ.

If there is enough interest I will post here when I know of the next ASA National Clinic dates and costs in NJ.