I just received the new diamond mask with the upgraded padding and the silver finish. I have always been a HSM guy but I decided I would try something new. Does anyone know exactly how tight the mask should be? I want it tight enough where I'm protected but loose enough where it isn't counterproductive.

Keep it loose so that when you look down it hangs slightly off your chin. Some guys attach their harness to the outer ear bars to reduce the friction and make it more likely that in the event of a hit it will be able to spin off easier. Try it and see how it works for you.

• Like 1

Keep it loose so that when you look down it hangs slightly off your chin. Some guys attach their harness to the outer ear bars to reduce the friction and make it more likely that in the event of a hit it will be able to spin off easier. Try it and see how it works for you.

Thanks warren. Also if anyone else has made the switch from HSM to traditional do you have a harder time picking up and tracking the ball because of the more narrowed sight lines?

I'm about half and half. I find the Diamond to be easier to use when wearing sunglasses, though my All-Star helmet works well too. Plus, I find on bright, sunny days that the bars on the silver Diamond disappear a little easier. The helmet has better frontal vision but the mask has better lower vision for close-in/plate vision. But frankly, it's kinda splitting hairs.

One thing I always do is wear the helmet with short backstops, especially if there's an overhang. Already been hit by a rebounding ball once this year. Plus, if there's a breeze, I actually prefer the helmet, at least the All-Star. It's so well-designed that I find it's actually cooler with a breeze than a hat & mask.