Team Wendy West Vest Gold Retrofit

Fittske24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3546 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yes, definitely. The lower profile behind the Wilson plates makes it worth it. Makes the WV as slim as the Douglas, but more platage, so to speak.

Down sides, a little heavier, but not noticeable when you're wearing it. The TW pads do widen the plates a bit, I think I saw this mentioned somewhere. I did take a shot between the plates, straight TW. I noticed it, no pain.

All in all worth the money.

Well...just got mine back from Team Wendy.  Had it done in "Ranger Green".  Had an extra 10" extension piece added with velcro to use as an option.  I normally just use the 6" extension from champion.  I will break it in today with a 17U game.  It is a little heavier but much more "low profile" and seems to just mold to my body.  Very comfortable.  I stuck with the original west vest harness.

Bill Slope

CA_D62

OCBOA

American Legionpost-2876-0-01371000-1404245626_thumb.jppost-2876-0-31796400-1404245624_thumb.jppost-2876-0-75099600-1404245627_thumb.jppost-2876-0-32307600-1404245622_thumb.jppost-2876-0-34764700-1404245620_thumb.jp

Well...just got mine back from Team Wendy. Had it done in "Ranger Green". Had an extra 10" extension piece added with velcro to use as an option. I normally just use the 6" extension from champion. I will break it in today with a 17U game. It is a little heavier but much more "low profile" and seems to just mold to my body. Very comfortable. I stuck with the original west vest harness.<br />Bill Slope<br />CA_D62<br />OCBOA<br />American Legionattachicon.gifwendy vest no attach.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest inside.jpgattachicon.gifwendy west vest green w extension.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest 10 inch.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest 10 attached.jpg

Is the extension used to replace a cup?

@Bill Slope

What were the costs for that? It looks great and I may want to send in my gold. Anyway you could get a photo of you wearing it with a shirt on, I'd love to see how low profile it is compared to my Unequal.

Well...just got mine back from Team Wendy. Had it done in "Ranger Green". Had an extra 10" extension piece added with velcro to use as an option. I normally just use the 6" extension from champion. I will break it in today with a 17U game. It is a little heavier but much more "low profile" and seems to just mold to my body. Very comfortable. I stuck with the original west vest harness.<br />Bill Slope<br />CA_D62<br />OCBOA<br />American Legionattachicon.gifwendy vest no attach.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest inside.jpgattachicon.gifwendy west vest green w extension.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest 10 inch.jpgattachicon.gifwendy vest 10 attached.jpg

Is the extension used to replace a cup?I think it replaces pants, how is that fitting under his shirt?

Wow that is a lot to pay 119 to do this. You could have paid 60 dollars more and got a system seven chest protector

Umpref19

Maybe he doesn't want a new System 7. Personally I prefer the West Vest so for me the investment in my chest protector that I have used (over a decade) and never been close to getting hurt in is worth it. Once I get something that works I see no need to switch or swap to the next new shiny car.....I guess to each their own.

• Like 1

Lol I don't know if it is just the picture that makes the extension look that long but it looks like that thing would almost touch the ground almost like a mud flap on the back of a big rig truck tire lol jk I like the color scheme of the retro fit though

I contacted TW and they said its $129.95 plus shipping, a 30 day turnaround, and they can't accept custom orders at this time which is a bummer because I need another couple inches on my Gold for it to fully cover my ribs. 

@Bill Slope

How'd you get them to do a custom job for you if they aren't accepting custom orders now? 

When I bought my first hard shell CP, I thought that all CPs had abdomen protection attachment. I figured I needed to pay extra and order one for my MVP, so I sent an inquiry to the WestVest company (or Wilson, I can't remember). I was quite surprised when I got a e-mail back from Joe West, himself...saying, in effect, don't be a pussy.  Below is the actual e-mail for your amusement. Last sentence still cracks me up.

April 25, 2006
The West Vest Chest Protector is designed to keep the bone structure of the upper torso from injury due to a thrown or fouled ball. It is not designed to protect the "soft" tissue of the abdomen. The structural design is to protect the areas where you would be hit that would cause you to leave the game.
Most professional umpires have their hands and arms in this area and the protector doesn't protect them there either.

I'm sorry I haven't been much help.

Joe West

When I bought my first hard shell CP, I thought that all CPs had abdomen protection attachment. I figured I needed to pay extra and order one for my MVP, so I sent an inquiry to the WestVest company (or Wilson, I can't remember). I was quite surprised when I got a e-mail back from Joe West, himself...saying, in effect, don't be a pussy.  Below is the actual e-mail for your amusement. Last sentence still cracks me up.

April 25, 2006
The West Vest Chest Protector is designed to keep the bone structure of the upper torso from injury due to a thrown or fouled ball. It is not designed to protect the "soft" tissue of the abdomen. The structural design is to protect the areas where you would be hit that would cause you to leave the game.
Most professional umpires have their hands and arms in this area and the protector doesn't protect them there either.

I'm sorry I haven't been much help.

Joe West

Have to agree with him about the protected areas.

Here is what she sent me.

Please see attached. The retrofit program is $129.95 plus shipping. Upon receipt of your vest, we will call you to secure a credit card. The day the vest ships back to you, we will charge your card $129.95 plus shipping. Please let me know if you have questions.

Amanda Grandt

Production Coordinator

Team Wendy

17000 St. Clair Ave Bldg 1

Cleveland OH 44110

Office- 216-738-2518 ext. 259

Cell- 216-906-8655

www.teamwendy.com

Chest protector marketing sheet V5 (1) (1).pdf