Silver Mask Purchase

benrosen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4204 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys ,

My offseason has officially begun and I am now in the market for a silver frame mask. I am leaning toward the FM4000 which is $70 right now at Lesters. I would really appreciate a few different opinions.

thanks

Ben, I rocked this thing all season and I've taken a few shots with NO issues. The pads All-Star puts in their masks are really nice. This is a light, easy to use, comfy rig!

I have the FM4000UMP and really like it, except the bright silver finish is completely gone. It is now a dull gray color. I also have the silver +POS ZRO-G mask, it is basically identical as the 4000UMP, only the bar design is slightly different. The pads and harness are the same as far as I can tell. Last week I received an email from +POS with their ZRO-G masks on sale for $49.95

I have the matte black version of the new diamond mask. Pads are definitely an upgrade. I have used it twice, but have not taken a shot yet to tell you how they perform. They feel much more substantial, and are a soft leather that is against your face. They are not as substantial as wilson pads, but they also are not as heavy. Still very lightweight. Holding my older silver mask and the new one I can't tell any difference in the weight. I didn't change out the pads in my older diamond mask. Unlike everyone else, I found them to be satisfactory. Again, the new pads seem to be a substantial upgrade. I don't have experience with team wendy's padding so I cannot compare with them.

In April of this year I purchase a silver FM4000. A few weeks ago I noticed that my mask was not silver anymore, but was more of a dull gray. I contacted All Star and sent them a few pictures of my mask. After waiting several days without a response I emailed them again and received this reply:

"I just got an update this morning from quality control. This is considered normal wear and tear and will not be covered under warranty. Paint coats are not designed to last forever, and do not affect the structural function of safety of the mask. Based on the amount used by the user a sport where there is sand, grit, metal, and plastic all rubbing together it is expected and normal for metal paint coats on metal to rub off. This is why we try and match the paint finish to the metal beneath as closely as possible. I have also been informed that on our silver cages such as the FM4000, the paint finish when exposed to UV rays, will also wear off. I’m sorry, but this is normal and expected.

If you would like a replacement mask I can sell you one direct at a discounted price for $48.00 plus shipping and handling. However, even a new mask will have the paint finish rub off eventually. I’m sorry again. If you have any further questions please let me know and I will try to get you an answer as soon as possible."

Jena Allen

--

JENA ALLEN, CUSTOMER SERVICE

I do not have a problem with the integrity of the mask. The mask itself is fine. But, I ordered a silver mask, not a gray mask. I'll let you interpret and determine what All Star's response means to you.

Ben, Nike is the Holy Grail. If you have the means, GET A NIKE!

Blueman, send me your frame and I will have it powder coated shiny silver for you. $35 shipped. Turnaround is usually a few days.

Blueman, send me your frame and I will have it powder coated shiny silver for you. $35 shipped. Turnaround is usually a few days.

Thanks for the offer, but after their response I will never own another All Star piece of equipment again. Nothing but BS propaganda. I will probably donate the mask to my local summer league umpire crew (teenagers). A college umpire buddy of mine had a Davis mask with an Ice Gray finish that I thought looked pretty sweet. The finish would not fade on this mask.

Thanks for the offer, but after their response I will never own another All Star piece of equipment again. Nothing but BS propaganda. I will probably donate the mask to my local summer league umpire crew (teenagers). A college umpire buddy of mine had a Davis mask with an Ice Gray finish that I thought looked pretty sweet. The finish would not fade on this mask.

on a finish issue ...really?

This is going to be a back up mask for me so unfortunately i do not have the means

• Like 1

This is going to be a back up mask for me so unfortunately i do not have the means

Ben, find an All-Star FM25 mask and Trout can have it powdercoated silver for you..............

Yes, really. I may only have the one mask out of 1000 on which the finish faded. It may have been the first one in the line for paint or it may have been the last, but for some reason it did not receive a quality paint finish. I wanted and purchased a silver mask. After five months it is now gray. I do not want a gray mask. But, what really ticked me off was the BS response that I received from them. I don't know about you, but this is not my first rodeo. Here is my response to their email:

I realize that as a customer service representative for All Star you have to respond to customer complaints with words and statements as directed by management. I am sure you had to be laughing on the inside as you typed your response to my concerns about the face mask. Did you ask yourself, "I wonder if this guy will actually believe this?" Well, the answer is no! I found the statements in your email to be a farce. Does All Star think I am, or anyone for that matter, gullible enough to believe what you stated?

No, it is not normal wear and tear for a painted finish to fade or wear away in such a short time. I do not expect the finish to last forever, but I do expect it to last more than 5 months. Your statement about the mask being used in "a sport where there is sand, grit, metal, and plastic all rubbing together it is expected and normal for metal paint coats on metal to rub off " is fatuous. I am an umpire. My mask has never touched the ground. It is on my face, under my arm or in my bag. There is not a scratch or rub mark on it.

"This is why we try and match the paint finish to the metal beneath as closely as possible." By making this statement, I assume All Star uses red metal for their red masks, blue metal for their blue masks and black metal for their black masks. I don't think I have ever seen red, blue or black metal. Perhaps you could send me a picture.

" I have also been informed that on our silver cages such as the FM4000, the paint finish when exposed to UV rays, will also wear off. I’m sorry, but this is normal and expected." This is perhaps the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. Did someone in quality control come up with this one? Maybe it was someone in the marketing department? It is "normal" by whose standards? Are you telling me that All Star "expected" this paint to fade? Why don't you put this information in your product description? You know, something like "After you purchase this mask we at All Star expect the silver finish to turn to gray". I don't remember seeing a warning about keeping the mask away from sunlight and UV rays. Is this a "night game only" mask? I have umpired 59 games since I purchased your mask. Only 31 of these games were plate assignments where I wore the mask, with 18 of these games occurring at night. Thus, the mask was only exposed to those lethal UV rays during 13 games. Maybe you should rename this the Vampire mask!

The bottom line is this-All Star has a faulty product. I wanted and bought a silver mask. Not a gray mask. Paint should not fade or rub off after 5 months. All Star has a quality control problem with this mask and should not try to side step the issue. It is too late to appease me, but All Star needs to put on its big boy pants, man up and accept responsibility when products fail.

No, I do not want to purchase another mask for $48.00. I would have to expect the silver finish to fade to gray and I don't want another gray mask. To put it bluntly, I will never purchase another All Star product again.

If you agree with me fine. If not, that is fine too. Now it is about principle and how a company stands behind their product. I am sure All Star makes some good products. If you choose to purchase from them I will respect your decision. I hope it works out for you and you don't have any problems.

blueman, that is an awesome reply on your part. Another way, that I have heard with other fellow umpires, that worked with Wilson before is liking the company FB page and posting on their wall your situation. I think they will get to you that way sooner than you expect.

probably not a bad idea

Yes, really. I may only have the one mask out of 1000 on which the finish faded. It may have been the first one in the line for paint or it may have been the last, but for some reason it did not receive a quality paint finish. I wanted and purchased a silver mask. After five months it is now gray. I do not want a gray mask. But, what really ticked me off was the BS response that I received from them. I don't know about you, but this is not my first rodeo. Here is my response to their email:

I realize that as a customer service representative for All Star you have to respond to customer complaints with words and statements as directed by management. I am sure you had to be laughing on the inside as you typed your response to my concerns about the face mask. Did you ask yourself, "I wonder if this guy will actually believe this?" Well, the answer is no! I found the statements in your email to be a farce. Does All Star think I am, or anyone for that matter, gullible enough to believe what you stated?

No, it is not normal wear and tear for a painted finish to fade or wear away in such a short time. I do not expect the finish to last forever, but I do expect it to last more than 5 months. Your statement about the mask being used in "a sport where there is sand, grit, metal, and plastic all rubbing together it is expected and normal for metal paint coats on metal to rub off " is fatuous. I am an umpire. My mask has never touched the ground. It is on my face, under my arm or in my bag. There is not a scratch or rub mark on it.

"This is why we try and match the paint finish to the metal beneath as closely as possible." By making this statement, I assume All Star uses red metal for their red masks, blue metal for their blue masks and black metal for their black masks. I don't think I have ever seen red, blue or black metal. Perhaps you could send me a picture.

" I have also been informed that on our silver cages such as the FM4000, the paint finish when exposed to UV rays, will also wear off. I’m sorry, but this is normal and expected." This is perhaps the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. Did someone in quality control come up with this one? Maybe it was someone in the marketing department? It is "normal" by whose standards? Are you telling me that All Star "expected" this paint to fade? Why don't you put this information in your product description? You know, something like "After you purchase this mask we at All Star expect the silver finish to turn to gray". I don't remember seeing a warning about keeping the mask away from sunlight and UV rays. Is this a "night game only" mask? I have umpired 59 games since I purchased your mask. Only 31 of these games were plate assignments where I wore the mask, with 18 of these games occurring at night. Thus, the mask was only exposed to those lethal UV rays during 13 games. Maybe you should rename this the Vampire mask!

The bottom line is this-All Star has a faulty product. I wanted and bought a silver mask. Not a gray mask. Paint should not fade or rub off after 5 months. All Star has a quality control problem with this mask and should not try to side step the issue. It is too late to appease me, but All Star needs to put on its big boy pants, man up and accept responsibility when products fail.

No, I do not want to purchase another mask for $48.00. I would have to expect the silver finish to fade to gray and I don't want another gray mask. To put it bluntly, I will never purchase another All Star product again.

If you agree with me fine. If not, that is fine too. Now it is about principle and how a company stands behind their product. I am sure All Star makes some good products. If you choose to purchase from them I will respect your decision. I hope it works out for you and you don't have any problems.

Your not the only one with a gray mask. I probably did 200 games this summer and 120 behind the plate to and it looks as if I have bought the Vampire mask.

I wear the FM4000UMP. I too noticed my shiny silver turning to dull grey- within weeks of purchasing it. I love the mask, despite the SH*#ty finish.

Can you imagine, though, if Ford Motors told you the paint on your brand new truck is faded due to normal wear and tear, and furthermore you should have known better than to drive your truck in Earth's atmosphere, especially when the sun is up?!

While we're at it, I bought the magnesium TG and it arrived all jacked up. Nowhere near symmetrical. The welds are all done sloppy. Don't they have robots that weld better than malaysian minors?