I've had NB 450 (i guess) for the last 3 or 4 years...probably 350+ games...I love them but starting last season and then really escalating this season, the cushion around the top of the shoe (where I would grab and tug it onto my foot) became exposed and deteriorated, which caused the lining to come away and slip down..i took them to a shoemaker who replaced the cushion, but it's not ideal and clearly time for a new pair. Has anyone else had this problem (it seems like a little boot strap on the bag would solve it)? Does 350 games sound like a normal lifespan? And, does anyone endorse anything other than the new NB's?

Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Reebok plate shoes are at three years now, and I am going to have to replace them. I hope the Zigs are as comfortable because I have really liked the Magistrate plate shoes.

If you could keep a secret, look for them December 2012. Just kidding. You guys can't keep a secret. Not kidding about the December 2012 estimate we received yesterday from Reebok.

I was give a pair of OLD OLD OLD +pos when I first started. An older umpire seen that I was wearing tennis shoes so he gave them to me. Felt like I was standing on cement bottom shoes but I was thankful I had plate shoes for both looks and protection. Since then I've upgrade to both the black/white reeboks and the black/black reeboks. I've never owned a pair of NB's so I can't knock'em but the Reeboks are the best plate shoe I've ever wore.

I landed a pair of brand new New Balance 450's off of EBay for $30 with free shipping...listed by someone who sells a little bit of everything and made an offer and she accepted...between those and my old low cut spot bilts that I wear for muddy games I should be set for a while...

I've had NB 450 (i guess) for the last 3 or 4 years...probably 350+ games...I love them but starting last season and then really escalating this season, the cushion around the top of the shoe (where I would grab and tug it onto my foot) became exposed and deteriorated, which caused the lining to come away and slip down..i took them to a shoemaker who replaced the cushion, but it's not ideal and clearly time for a new pair. Has anyone else had this problem (it seems like a little boot strap on the bag would solve it)? Does 350 games sound like a normal lifespan? And, does anyone endorse anything other than the new NB's?

Thanks

That's a lot of games for the same pair of shoes. I tend to work 150-180 games a year, with at least 2/3's being plate games, and I replace my plate shoes every year. The ones I replace go into the "rain gear bag" so I have a pair that can get muddy, but after a hundred or more games, they get pretty scuffed up, not to mention the sole starts to break down from all the wear and tear, making for some barking dogs at the end of a mid-summer's game. I know I can squeeze more games out of them, but I would rather take good care of my feet, and a new pair is no more than 2 game fees.

I usually get 2 seasons out of my base shoes, but I am going to find some good ones this year. The standard Reebok and NB base shoes just don't seem to get it done for me. They tend to break down too easily and feel like they have concrete soles after half a season. I am keeping my eyes out for some all black, all leather, Nike AirMax.

I think one of the things we dont do well as umpires is realize when our gear has reached end of life........now Im a gear junkie, so excluding me and finny...and few other of you "gear junky types", I see way too many of us trying to get way more use out of your gear than was ever planned....

Shoes, CP's unis.........all have useful life spans....

I love my new balance base shoes..........but they needed replaced after a year and a half......they still met my appearance standards (barely) but the support was gone........

I got the NB NU460s from Shoebuy.com. They were full price but they always have either $25 off the purchase or 20-25% off the entire deal. I hit them with the % off and picked up both plate and base shoes.

One of the older guys gave me some POS+ to start me out. I like my NBs much much better. Not as heavy but feel more sturdy if that makes any sense. I think NB will have me hooked for as long as I do this.

I have used plate shoes for the past two seasons, and I was surprised that they already look bad and need to be replaced. Judging from this thread it sounds like two seasons is plenty long from a plate shoe.

If you are doing a decent amount of games, 2 years is what you will get out of them. I got 2-3/4 out of mine before the leather tore.

The worst part of over-used shoes, of any type, but particularly athletic shoes, is the breakdown of the padding beneath your feet. Over-wearing shoes will cause a good bit of foot pain, and can encourage issues such as heel spurs.

The worst part of over-used shoes, of any type, but particularly athletic shoes, is the breakdown of the padding beneath your feet. Over-wearing shoes will cause a good bit of foot pain, and can encourage issues such as heel spurs.

And oftentimes you don't realize just how bad they've gotten until you replace them and feel how comfortable the new ones are.

I am flat-footed and have to have plastic custom inserts in any shoe I wear. The only "comfort" I get out of a shoe is how it wraps around my foot. How the heel and arch of the shoe are don't matter much as long as the arch isn't so big in the shoe it makes the insert not fit right. It gets annoying sometimes that I can't wear shoes like everyone else, but at least I can be on my feet for long periods of time without being in pain.

I am flat-footed and have to have plastic custom inserts in any shoe I wear. The only "comfort" I get out of a shoe is how it wraps around my foot. How the heel and arch of the shoe are don't matter much as long as the arch isn't so big in the shoe it makes the insert not fit right. It gets annoying sometimes that I can't wear shoes like everyone else, but at least I can be on my feet for long periods of time without being in pain.

I wear the hard custom-molded orthotics in my regular shoes. The ones which are hard and only about 3/4 length. But my podiatrist also gave me some full length athletic orthotics for umpiring. They are not custom molded but the doctor can make some adjustments in the office to give you the fit you want. It is a world of difference from the hard ones.