All in one swing of the hook

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4212 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

14u travel ball. Fed rules. 2 good teams. Batter backward ks to end the bottom of the 4th. As he turns to walk back to his dugout, he slings his bat and exclaims, "Oh my freaking God!"

Boom!

Get the lineup to see if they have an eligible sub. They do, so I go to HC and tell him the sitch. "2 now in for EJd #7. While I'm talking to Tommy (HC), the scorekeeper, who has spent the game in the stands, approaches me to argue. I shut him down instantly. He won't quit, so....

Boom!

Tommy is now arguing about the call and calls me an asshole.

Boom.

The last 2 ACs are now in my face.

Boom! Boom!

Game Over. Forfeit.

Now Tommy comes to confront me as I'm on the phone with TD and calls me a pussy. Really??? I'm standing there in my sleeveless undershirt, tattoos blazing, and this DB IS ACTUALLY CHALLENGING ME? I just walked away. TD heard alot of what was going on. I'll let you know how it all plays out.

I'd be curious to know ( how it turns out). I have recently started doing some travel ball and haven't had any problems of yet but the TD I've been working for seems to be a little nervous about ejections. He says it's a buisiness and wants us to do what we can to keep players and coaches in the game. I told him I always do but when a they need to go they are going. That being said, I wonder if that is a typical travel ball mentality.

I'd be curious to know ( how it turns out). I have recently started doing some travel ball and haven't had any problems of yet but the TD I've been working for seems to be a little nervous about ejections. He says it's a buisiness and wants us to do what we can to keep players and coaches in the game. I told him I always do but when a they need to go they are going. That being said, I wonder if that is a typical travel ball mentality.

I believe it is. Sad! These TDs want the money. There are a few that have your back but for the most part they want the teams coming back!

• Like 1

1) obviously, good initial dump

2) no need to go to the HC. If they're out of subs, the game is over. Return baseballs and leave. If they have only one bench player available, it's Pretty obvious what the change will be. If more than one bench player is available, the manager can come let you know. There's no rush. Going over to the bench was like sending a pig to slaughter. Someone always has something to say after an ejection.

3) are "scorekeepers" not just pArents with a book? Not sure if that ejection was appropriate.

I believe it is. Sad! These TDs want the money. There are a few that have your back but for the most part they want the teams coming back!

Not around here. The majority of tournaments have long waiting lists so of a team doesn't come back due to umpire problems its see ya don't let the door hit your sorry ass on the way out.

I emailed my EJ report to UIC. He asked me if I had it to do over again, would I change anything. I said no, but in retrospect, I would have definitely done my best Bill Haller imitation. I just used the boring, no-crow-hop finger hook

My OP is of course not all inclusive. HC told me his scorekeeper was one of his assistants before I hooked him.

I made it some 250 games without dumping anyone, then I get 4 coaches and a player in 1 game. :shakehead:

Yep. They made it clear they no longer wanted to participate in the day's activities. I obliged them. Right Chuck? ;)

The hell of it is, they were home team and winning 2-1 entering the top of the 5th.

HC told me his scorekeeper was one of his assistants before I hooked him.

You can't spend your entire time in the stands and be a team coach at the same time.

I would have treated him as a hostile spectator. Ignore the guy, same as you would any other spectator. If he keeps riding me, tell the "real" coach to get his spectator under control. That will give him something else to do besides arguing with you!

Did the scorekeeper come onto the field to argue with you, or was he doing it from behind the fence? Good EJ either way - just curious.

on the field in foul ground while I was explaining to Tommy how he wasn't out of the game (btw, you can finish with 8). Tommy didn't know what to do, scorekeeper/AC comes out on the grass bitching. I put up the stop sign and told him you're not HC, I would not discuss ANYTHING with him. Tommy says "he's one of my assistants." He runs the stop sign. Bingo.

Tommy obviously didn't know he could finish with 8, and was asking me about auto out for EJ player, etc. that's why I got the lineup out and was explaining to him. Not a "pig to slaughter (thanks for the fat joke btw)" but answering direct question not really related specifically to the play.

Reminds me of the movie "Hoosiers" when Shooter came out on the floor all drunk arguing a call. Coach tells the ref, "It's okay. He's an assistant coach." Ref T's him up right away.

Was the scorekeeper hammered? :)

• Like 1

It seems 24's post has been overlooked. There was ABSOLUTELY no need to go to the HC and tell him who his sub is going to be. He KNOWS who he will be putting in the game. Every EJ after the first one may have been avoided if not for the aftermath. Why are we suppose to go to the opposite side from the team that something just happened against. That is the one thing you should do differently from the OP.

This OP is a prime example of why and should be a sticky of what NOT to do after an EJ. Let it cool down before going and stirring the pot. He will come to you if need be.

It seems 24's post has been overlooked. There was ABSOLUTELY no need to go to the HC and tell him who his sub is going to be. He KNOWS who he will be putting in the game. Every EJ after the first one may have been avoided if not for the aftermath. Why are we suppose to go to the opposite side from the team that something just happened against. That is the one thing you should do differently from the OP.

This OP is a prime example of why and should be a sticky of what NOT to do after an EJ. Let it cool down before going and stirring the pot. He will come to you if need be.

Meanwhile we can hold hands and sing kum-by-ya! :shakehead:
  • Like 1

Hello? Read the second part of post 17.....

Better visual. Tommy came to me in "X" between innings and saked a question. I got with BU who was keeping the card, and after I had an answer, I got back to HC in the vicinity of the 45' line, kinda halfway between the fence and the field.

I stand behind every single move I made, did nothing to instigate the issue or "stir the pot", and anyone who tries to twist this on me. remember, you don't have the benefit of the whole story.

"OPs ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE!"

Hello? Read the second part of post 17.....

Better visual. Tommy came to me in "X" between innings and saked a question. I got with BU who was keeping the card, and after I had an answer, I got back to HC in the vicinity of the 45' line, kinda halfway between the fence and the field.

I stand behind every single move I made, did nothing to instigate the issue or "stir the pot", and anyone who tries to twist this on me. remember, you don't have the benefit of the whole story.

"OPs ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE!"

I am not questioning any of the EJs, but I think this is a good reason for you as PU to keep the card. All changes then go through you. Don't think it would of prevented any of the EJs in this situation, but would of gone cleaner.