The Men in Blue: Conversations with Umpires

Majordave
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3322 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gentlemen (and ladies if there are any reading): This book was one excellent read. Quite simply, for me, the most entertaining and informative book on umpiring I have read to date (although I still have a few to go). It is, for a serious umpire, a MUST read.

It is essentially a written summary of in-person interviews by the author, a history professor with a love for baseball like most of us, with twelve "old-time" 1920's to 1970's retired Major League Umpires. The umpires range from famous ones like "Beans" Reardon, "Shag" Crawford, Jim Honochick and Emmett Ashford, to some lesser known ones like Joe Rue, Ernie Stewart and Bill McKinley (at least to me they were largely unknown).

I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter which all chapters/interviews essentially followed an obvious question and answer format without the questions being written. It was like sitting down with some older umpires and getting a personal, oral history lesson. Actually many lessons in everything from history of umpiring, mechanics, equipment, breaking in to the minor league and major leagues, the partners they worked with, pay, baseball administration, how they got into umpiring in the first place, essentially everything you might think of to ask an old-time umpire if you had the chance.

I would love to do something like this with recently retired major league umpires to update the history of the profession (at least those who haven't written their own book).

Some of the comments are quite candid and really interesting. There are tons of absolutely fantastic quotes. The author researched all of the anecdotal stories told by the umpires to insure accuracy and not just "tall tales" or "the older I get the better I was......" type stories and braggadocio from once great warriors of the diamond.

I simply must recommend this book again as a "MUST READ" book for anyone serious about their umpiring history and learning a bit about the art of umpiring. Especially when it comes to game management. There are absolutely dozens if not hundreds of valid and relevant and time-tested hints on how to handle players and coaches.

Read this book!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have listened to this book 6 times on audiobook thus far and it is one of the best reads I have ever had on the art of umpiring. Yes, Penny Barber is quoted in the back of the book as this being a life-changing book in the afterwords. I can't help picking up umpiring tips from these gentlemen who aren't looking on making a manual on how to be a good umpire but share how they worked the game. The book is on audible if you don't have time to read it but can listen to it on those long commutes to games out in the boonies. 

Yeah, this is a good one.  I remember reading it back when I was in college and just starting to umpire.  I read it after completing The Glory of Their Times which is a oral history of early baseball from the players point of view (and also very good).  I was a bit of a baseball history buff back in the day.

It has been a while since I have read it.  Sounds like it might be a good one to dust off.

Perry Barber was my partner for about six games in last fall's MSBL World Series in Phoenix. She is a great umpire and a really amazing person. I truly enjoyed meeting and working with her. Proud to call her a friend.

Is it on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Men-Blue-Conversations-Umpires/dp/0803270453/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1426342143&sr=8-1

It's available from Amazon in paperback with Prime shipping for $21.76. There are also penny versions, probably old library editions. When I bought the paperback version, it came complete with a note saying, "Bean Reardon is my hero." I tend to agree. Can't go wrong with basically just paying shipping to get this great book.