Honigs/Gerry Davis Slacks Color

UMP45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4796 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got both -- they're not close. The GD's are much darker. I've heard the GD's get a greenish color after being in the sun for a while, but after about 50 games in each last season (50 base and 50 plate) there is no color change. After being satisfied with the GD's last season I ordered 2 more pairs when they went on sale for $39 in the fall. The Honig's poly wools that I purchased over the winter are definately a more professional looking slack.

Is the any color difference between the Honigs poly-wools and the ultimates?

They are fairly close, but the material in the polywools looks better than the Ultimates. I had the Ultimates last year for a while. They aren't bad, but the base pants fit very snug in the butt/hips/thigh area.

Is the any color difference between the Honigs poly-wools and the ultimates?

Not really, unless you put the two slacks together. I can't really say it's a color difference --- more of a fabric difference. You can't notice the difference from the stands and I doubt anyone on the field would notice either.

Once you go poly-wool...you will never go back to any other pants on the market. I use to wear smitty brand pants. They were nice pants at a good price point. I worked a game with a umpire that had poly-wools and his overall appearance to me just looked "Crisp". So I asked what type of pants he wore and he told me poly-wools. I went home that night and ordered a pair of base and plate and have not looked back since! That was 2 years ago...today I have 4 base and 4 plates in heavy rotation! I have a early spring set and a summer set. The spring set is a bit bigger in the waist to make room for the extra layers of clothing to keep warm in Feb and March.

Trust me....pay the money now for poly-wools and you will never want any another brand of pants.

I can tell the difference in color between the Davis and Poly wool pants from the outfiedl. I keep a couple pair of Davis in the bottom of my bag, just in case.

The Honig's are cooler than the Davis in direct sunlight.

I like the Davis' expandable waistband, though. Quite comfortable.

A sometimes wear a pair of poly wool base pants to the office in the off season, just to remind me of the baseball season to come. They're that nice.

If you happen upon a pair of the MLB pants (white pockets, no Honig's label), snag them. They're just a tad nicer.

As stated the difference in color is striking. However, when in Rome do as the Roman's do...if the majority of folks in your area wear Davis you probably want to wear them as well, so you match. If most wear Honigs...well you know the drill.

One thing that was said higher up the thread...Honigs base pants run slim in the seat and thighs? Can someone confirm.

STAY AWAY FROM OFFICIALS CHOICE.... :Horse: :crazy:

STAY AWAY FROM OFFICIALS CHOICE

I saw my first pair of officials choice pants in person the other day. I was wearing heather, a friend was wearing charcoal, and a third was wearing Officials choice. The Officials Choice were so dark they really stood out. The guy wearing them liked the color and the price.

They will not match either. and the difference is very noticable. I've worked with guys and one wearing heather one wearing charcoal and there is a difference, but I would bet the general participant/coach would never know - especially if you don't buddy buddy up between innings.

They would notice if you are wearing the Officials choice ones.

Not a fan of the color.

The Ultimate base pants run a bit snug, not the Poly-Wools.

Correct. The polywools fit like a dream. I am a tall, skinny guy and the Ultimates were still snug around the seat and thights. I can only imagine if I were built more stocky.

The Ultimate base pants run a bit snug, not the Poly-Wools.

Correct. The polywools fit like a dream. I am a tall, skinny guy and the Ultimates were still snug around the seat and thights. I can only imagine if I were built more stocky.

That's interesting my ultimate base pants are plenty loose, I wonder if they possibly sent me combos...shrug.gif