Softball?

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont do softball..........but I know some baseball guys that do.........might be a good add....it is the umpire-empire after all....

as an aside.....early in my career, I had one of my association instructor-umpires tell me that I should choose if I was going to be a baseball or a softball umpire........the reason being was that those who try to do both end up doing neither well..........

any thoughts on the validity of that statement today?

Edited by Stan W.

I dont do softball..........but I know some baseball guys that do.........might be a good add....it is the umpire-empire after all....

as an aside.....early in my career, I had one of my association instructor-umpires tell me that I should choose if I was going to be a baseball or a softball umpire........the reason being was that those who try to do both end up doing neither well..........

any thoughts on the validity of that statement today?

I do both and don't have any problems.

Early on it can be more of a challenge because of rules differences. If you do ASA and HS, it's like adding 2 more rule books. Besides the obvious pitching diffrences, there are differences for base running, interference and obstruction.

There are certain advantages to softball, mostly the games almost never last more than 90 minutes. I actually worked an 18u tourney last year that had some weather issues and the games were curfewed at NISA 50 minutes. 5 of my six games went 6 innings and one completed before time ran out.

I am ASA certified for slow-pitch, but I only work fast pitch. The girls can be as intense as the boys, but they are usually nicer. And the lower levels they're downright sweet.

Unfortunately, the parents and most of the coaches are the same.

I added Mens Slow Pitch a few years ago, as a way to keep myself in a Learning Mode and find something new to do. I'll tell you that it's made me a better baseball umpire, as I've seen more action in a single game than I'll see in 2 weeks of baseball. The SP game is WAY faster, and calling 9-10 double plays in a single game is normal. You really get to work on your timing, and you're constantly on the move. At the same time, I was able to work the ASA Womens National Championships, and work with some of the best players I've ever seen. Also, I worked the Senior Nationals last year, and saw guys as old as 80 years old, playing a game simply for the fun of it. It was the most fun I've ever had, and got paid for it. (This is not and Ego-stroke, I just want to tell you what's out there). SP softball is a lot of fun. The mechanics and rules are easy to pick up, and I've had very few instances where I've slipped into the Wrong Sport Mechanic. While at the Men's League, you get more whining from the players, you'll get none at all from the stands: there are no parents, just girlfriends, who aren't really watching anyway..

I say absolutely don't mix sports. There are some that can do it but I don't suggest it. I have found that in my area the guys that do both are in the middle of the pack in both sports. The guys that do one or the other are the best at their sport.

The mechanics are completely different, the size of the field is different, the travel of pitches is different. Yes there are similarities but the differences are huge.

In answer to the question, I think we should add softball.

I say absolutely don't mix sports. There are some that can do it but I don't suggest it. I have found that in my area the guys that do both are in the middle of the pack in both sports. The guys that do one or the other are the best at their sport.

The mechanics are completely different, the size of the field is different, the travel of pitches is different. Yes there are similarities but the differences are huge.

In answer to the question, I think we should add softball.

I don't work on the smaller fields for baseball, but couldn't you say the same thing between little baseball and regular baseball?

To an extent, the distance can mess with you however it is still the same rules and the pitches are coming from the same direction. With softball the pitch comes up, baseball down. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that many shouldn't.

I knew a guy that did FP and baseball and sucked at both. I convinced him to quit softball and he ended being one of our top guys and advanced to college, including DI. He swore it was going baseball only that made the difference.

My association is definitely the largest in the area for baseball, and I believe for softball too. I can not think of any guys who do both. We are so hard pressed for baseball umpires sometimes especially on weekends when we have 200-250 baseball games to cover. Some if not many of our guys will do basketball, volleyball, swimming or football.

For me I have to have a passion for the sport to be interested in calling it. I've been told many times I need to do volleyball too because it's the easiest money you will ever make.

I started my officiating career with soccer which I was a pretty darn good soccer player, but ultimately I thought of it as a job and didn't have any passion for it. While I was a horrible (and that might be being too nice) baseball player, but have a real passion for umpiring.

I don't have any problems with softball umpires. In my area, softball is king. Umpires are harder to find for baseball as opposed to softball (mens slo-pitch / girls fast pitch) because softball games move much faster. The pay scale is about the same (depending upon the level of play). I have a core group of seasoned baseball umpires that call nothing but baseball but; in order for me to have enough umpires to complete a recreational season, I need to have a mixture of softball guys available to call throughout the season. I don't use softball umpires to call any high school or tournament ball. They do scare me at times and I don't want the potential argument of explaining why I sent softball umpires on there field... YIKES...

The softball umpires I use don't have near the mechanics as my baseball guys have but; for some reason they seem to have this innate ability to keep the games moving...

I have been a fastpitch umpire for 10 years, and find the speed and pace of the game much more preferable than that of baseball. At most levels especially ASA and local leagues there are time limits. I can do two fastpitch games in the time most take for ONE baseball game. I know what you are thinking: I don't understand the nuances of baseball. WRONG. I have done baseball and find the time it takes to deliver a pitch and have any kind of result boring. There are time limits between pitches in fastpitch and none is baseball. Shorter bases and pitching distance makes for a faster, quicker game. And yes, refereeing volleyball is stealing. I have done it and plan to get back into it.