MAC

The other night...

R1 Stealing 2b on way to 2b, F4 tackles R1, pinned for 4-5 secs. F2 throws to 2b and goes into center field. R1 recovers and touches 2b and proceeds to 3b where runner is held up by 3b coach.

Ball was live during the whole play. On a delayed obstruction call should the runner be awarded home? If in the umpires opinion runner would have scored if not tackled on the way to 2b?

Tackled? 4 to 5 seconds of pinning a guy? I would need more info to make an accurate assessment.

Based on what you say, NO, I am not giving him home, I am ejecting the 2nd baseman for UC. I have runner safe at 2nd on OBS, and he gets third on his own.

Many other here can chime in, but I would need more info to truly decide it.

MAC,

If in the umpire's judgement the runner would have scored absent the obstruction, OF COURSE you award him home.

All codes.

The key is to remember that the proper penalty for obstruction is to award bases so that the act of obstruction is "nullified". So, you ask yourself, "What would have happened if the runner hadn't been obstructed?", and then you award to produce that result.

ALL benefit of the doubt goes to the runner, particularly if the obstruction is blatant or extreme.

I can certainly empathize with Danny's suggestion to dump F4 (and it's probably the right thing to do), but I'd be tempted to keep him around to see what OTHER idiotic thing he might do to cost his team.

JM

• Like 1

Umpire judgment on if he would of reached home or not, but advantage offense if any doubt. Also agree with F4's night being over. This isn't football, although it seems that F4 got his sports messed up and had a pretty impressive one.

Runner gets the dish (all rule sets allow judgement to award extra), dump F4, and if any of the coaches so much as clear their throat dump their ass too.

Decide how long the runner was affected, that includes the time of his being knocked down, held down, time to get back up and return to speed. Take that time, add it to the end of the play and if that equals another base, award it.